Can I connect a zip drive to my ST?

Post by Mike Burge » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

zip drives use the centronics port (printer port) right.
They seem to be good value at present but the local dealers
hardly remember what an atari computer is.
Is there some software about that will make my STE or STFM
treat the zip drive like a normal hard disk?

Post by Yannick ou Pasca » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> zip drives use the centronics port (printer port) right.

You should use the SCSI version of the ZIP and an adaptator:
ST printer port is -mostly- unidirectional

Can I connect a zip drive to my ST?

Post by Rich Tietje » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>zip drives use the centronics port (printer port) right.

It also comes in a SCSI version.  You need that one.

Quote:>They seem to be good value at present but the local dealers
>hardly remember what an atari computer is.

Some of them don't even know what "VESA" or "PCI" mean.  they're
salesmen, not real people.

Quote:>Is there some software about that will make my STE or STFM
>treat the zip drive like a normal hard disk?

Yes, if you get the SCSI version.  You CAN NOT use the parallel port
version on anything but an IBM/clone (and in spite of what the
salesdroids would have you believe, it won't work on all of those,
either).

The SCSI version will connect to any of the available ST host adapters
and will act like any other hard drive.  All host adapters (if purchased
new) come with the required software; I would highly recommend, however,
that you get HD Driver (by Uwe Siemet) as it is easily the fastest, most
reliable, and best-supported hard disk software available for the ST
series.

Post by Uwe Seime » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Is there some software about that will make my STE or STFM
> treat the zip drive like a normal hard disk?

Any driver will do because all drivers treat a ZIP like a hard disk with
removable media. Note, however, that you need a SCSI ZIP for your Atari.
The parallel version won't do. There is definitely no way to connect it
to the Atari.

          Dr. Uwe Seimet     | I really hate this damned machine,

     WWW: http://acp5.chemie.uni-kl.de/seimet/index.html