Compatibles and stuff...

Post by AL RASHID SHAH » Fri, 08 Jan 1993 08:04:22

I posted this thread quite a while back, but it did'nt seem to stir anything so here I go again. BTW, this is not (well, shouldn't be anyway) flamebait...

Regarding the X86 line...
Hey, I'm assuming MOST of you know about the big layoff by IBM in the last few months...Jeez!! Anyway, just wanted to tell all you hidden IBM advocates in ATARI advocating skins...IBM has their own problems too, eh? Just look at the P5 (or 586)... I guess you guy's in the PC world are gonna start feeling the money pinch pretty sonn if you want to upgrade. While everyone in the other computer markets keep "upgrading" their computers (dunno what to call it anymore; re:flamewar on upgrading...) at the same ap

proximate prices, all you compatible users will no longer be able to upgrade with "compatible" prices anymore.
 What happens when Motorola comes out with the (in development) 68060??? This will surely blow away the 486 (not a jibe). The point is, 486 users will surely want to upgrade (human nature) but what will they upgrade too? IBM in their perilous position will have to sell the P5 at higher (maybe much higher) cost than other compatibles, as compatibles will no longer exist...(P5 will be copyrighted - or IBm will die). With all the trouble between IBM (one side),and Microsoft and Intel (the other side), I have

heard rumours (reasonably reliable and logical) that IBM is quite interested in Motorola's 86000 line (not sure), which are RISC based, to use in future computers. Maybe true (IMHO), maybe not...but it still highlights the fact that IBM is dissatisfied with Intel.
 How 'bout Microsoft? Jeez, any idiot can see that IBM do not like Microsoft anymore (just look at the conflict between OS/2 and Windows if you don't believe me!). Or how about the new dos IBM releases?? IBM dos Version 5 ????? If these aren't moves to pull away from Microsoft, what is??
 IBM, a company with conflicts with their biggest software supporter and even their chip developer... Makes you think doesn't it..?

 How about Atari?? Jeez, close to another basket case!! Atari's fanatical supporters will continue to plug the Falcon.. but if Jack Tramiel (who is back from a long absence - notice the chaos in his absence) doesn't do something fast (which I think he is already doing... don't know what it is, though) the company's computer branch is sunk. The incredible thing is, without the ST or the Falcon, or any computers...Atari will not necessarily die! With their Lynx (more a scaled-down portable Amiga than anythin

g else) doing good business, Atari Games (which is at least paying royalties for the name Atari if nothing else- I don't know the story here...), and even the Atari PC (hey don't knock it, even Commodore PC's exist - I've used both) will keep Atari afloat...for how long, I don't know. Certainly longer than IBM, IMHO.

 Y'see, Atari's in trouble..but owing to their RELATIVELY small stature (compared to the worldwide IBM), it will stay afloat quite a bit longer than IBM (with their rapidly failing RISC market and all)... So to all out, there there is "no fate but what we make..." <--- great line eh?? (got it from T2 if ya didn't know!)

Thanks for the ear, if anyone waded through this..
AcEzE

--
****************** WHO AM I, YOU SAY? ******************* "If  time  is  money,
************* SHAHIR AL RASHID**aka**ACEZE **************  we are all in debt!"

*** This message brought to you by the Bollocks Bros. *** "Ii otenki desu ne??"

Compatibles and stuff...

Post by Howard C » Fri, 08 Jan 1993 10:09:21

Quote:>I posted this thread quite a while back, but it did'nt seem to stir anything
>so here I go again. BTW, this is not (well, shouldn't be anyway) flamebait...

That first line sounds rather baiting, I must say. (Oh btw, what happened to
your RETURN key? It seemed to work fine in one of your previous posts...)

Quote:

>Regarding the X86 line...
>Hey, I'm assuming MOST of you know about the big layoff by IBM in the last few
>months...Jeez!! Anyway, just wanted to tell all you hidden IBM advocates in
>ATARI advocating skins...IBM has their own problems too, eh? Just look at the
>P5 (or 586)... I guess you guy's in the PC world are gonna start feeling the
>money pinch pretty sonn if you want to upgrade. While everyone in the other
>computer markets keep "upgrading" their computers (dunno what to call it
>anymore; re:flamewar on upgrading...) at the s

>proximate prices, all you compatible users will no longer be able to upgrade
>with "compatible" prices anymore.

It's funny, looking at how things develop. Sun totally wiped out Apollo, which
used to be the * force in the workstation market, by developing their
SPARC chip and licensing it out to other vendors. IBM is getting wiped out
because they began with a fully open system design. I guess there were just
too many little upstarts for their legal department to chase them all down.
(Notice how tightly they still hold the reins on their mainframe stuff. Except
for Amdahl tho, who would want to be *in* that market, I wonder...)

Quote:> What happens when Motorola comes out with the (in development) 68060??? This
>will surely blow away the 486 (not a jibe). The point is, 486 users will
>surely want to upgrade (human nature) but what will they upgrade too? IBM in
>their perilous position will have to sell the P5 at higher (maybe much higher)
>cost than other compatibles, as compatibles will no longer exist...(P5 will be
>copyrighted - or IBm will die). With all the trouble between IBM (one side),
>and Microsoft and Intel (the other side), I

>heard rumours (reasonably reliable and logical) that IBM is quite interested
>in Motorola's 86000 line (not sure), which are RISC based, to use in future
>computers. Maybe true (IMHO), maybe not...but it still highlights the fact
>that IBM is dissatisfied with Intel.

Registering the P5 name and design isn't going to save IBM, it'll just make
their bad position worse. (Of course, it's actually Intel that's going thru
the motions of trademarking the P5, since they designed it. It's probably a
good move for them, since they *are* losing money to the other 486 clones
that are out there. Note that IBM has developed their own 486SX clone already,
further evidence of their dissatisfaction with Intel...) At any rate, it's
fairly obvious that open systems are the key to today's market, and if IBM is
going to try to close down to a secret proprietary design, the market is going
to say goodbye to them...

As for IBM's interest in Motorola - they have a joint development agreement
to make the PowerPC series RISC chip. I don't think IBM wants the 88100
series chips for anything. NeXT and Apple seem to be the big contenders
there...

Quote:> How 'bout Microsoft? Jeez, any idiot can see that IBM do not like Microsoft
>anymore (just look at the conflict between OS/2 and Windows if you don't
>believe me!). Or how about the new dos IBM releases?? IBM dos Version 5 ?????
>If these aren't moves to pull away from Microsoft, what is??
> IBM, a company with conflicts with their biggest software supporter and even
>their chip developer... Makes you think doesn't it..?

It would be *nice* if something made people think...

Quote:

> How about Atari?? Jeez, close to another basket case!! Atari's fanatical
>supporters will continue to plug the Falcon.. but if Jack Tramiel (who is
>back from a long absence - notice the chaos in his absence) doesn't do
>something fast (which I think he is already doing... don't know what it is,
>though) the company's computer branch is sunk. The incredible thing is,
>without the ST or the Falcon, or any computers...Atari will not necessarily
>die! With their Lynx (more a scaled-down portable Amiga than a

>g else) doing good business, Atari Games (which is at least paying royalties
>for the name Atari if nothing else- I don't know the story here...), and even
>the Atari PC (hey don't knock it, even Commodore PC's exist - I've used both)
>will keep Atari afloat...for how long, I don't know. Certainly longer than
>IBM, IMHO.

Atari Computer Corporation would pretty much have to fold. Atari Games is
totally independent. And thinking that Atari Computer could survive solely
on their Lynx and PC sales is pretty irrational, don't you think? You've
already pointed out how terrible the PC clone market is in the previous
paragraphs, so why would you consider the Atari PC to be an asset at this
point? The positions seem pretty irreconcilable, in my view...

Quote:

> Y'see, Atari's in trouble..but owing to their RELATIVELY small stature
>(compared to the worldwide IBM), it will stay afloat quite a bit longer than
>IBM (with their rapidly failing RISC market and all)... So to all out, there
>there is "no fate but what we make..." <--- great line eh?? (got it from T2 if
>ya didn't know!)

Hm. Bigger they are, the harder they fall? I'm more inclined to think, he
who has the deepest pockets, wins.
Quote:

--

There's a rough border between genius and insanity, but I'm a dual citizen.

Compatibles and stuff...

Post by Kevin J. Klasmei » Fri, 08 Jan 1993 14:51:37

>Atari Computer Corporation would pretty much have to fold. Atari Games is
>totally independent. And thinking that Atari Computer could survive solely
>on their Lynx and PC sales is pretty irrational, don't you think? You've

I heard Atari has already dropped the PC market, it was only 12% of
their sales....All I can say is GO FALCON030, FALCON040 or else???!!!

"Throughout the past 10 years there has been many computer companies
come and go, but Atari still seems to stand."

REMEMBER the ADAM?

"If marketing a computer is so easy, then why is the PC market so big?"

Better play it safe than sorry when you build your own computer, hiding
under MICROSOFT is the only way to go, no one should bother creating a
better computer when the three giants control every move you make.

--Board of the conversation people....year after year after year....sigh

                  +------------------------------------+_
                  | *> Kevin Klasmeier                 | |

                  | *> GEnie: K.Klasmeier              | |
                  | {Cincinnati, Ohio in the US of A}  | |
                  +------------------------------------+ |
                   '-------------------------------------'

Compatibles and stuff...

Post by Bob_BobR_Rete.. » Fri, 08 Jan 1993 09:24:36

An FYI:  Atari dropped their PC compatible line some time ago.

BobR

Compatibles and stuff...

Post by Chris Herbor » Sun, 10 Jan 1993 02:17:06

Quote:> "If marketing a computer is so easy, then why is the PC market so big?"

> Better play it safe than sorry when you build your own computer, hiding
> under MICROSOFT is the only way to go, no one should bother creating a
> better computer when the three giants control every move you make.

Or, buy some of the decent hardware that Microsoft has made cheap, and
put a REAL operating system on it, like OS/2, or any of the _free_ unix
implementations (with X).

--
-------------------========================================-------------------
Chris Herborth

1. Atari 8bit stuff FS **** 7800 stuff wanted

I have the following atari 8-bit  software for sale.
I want to sell it as a whole, for $23 this includes shipping
I can't garantee they work because I have since sold my 1050 floppy
drive.  But the last time I used them they worked and I have never had
any problems with disks and my atari.  I have XE game system, they all
ran on that.  So if you need to know if certain software requirements
I can check.  I should have most or all the manuals.

excalibur
Star Rader II   - atari
summer games  -epyx
silent service
wizards crown - SSI
Exodus Ultima 3
Music Construction Set
F-15 Strike Eagle
Bop and Wrestle - 64K required 128K recomended
Scenery Disk for Flight Sim 2, the san fran and bay area
La Swat and Panther
Galahad & the holy grail
Mind Shadow - Activison
Shattered Alliance - SSI

I also have a 2600 and a few games I want to get rid of.  I have no
joysticks or TV adaptor.  I only want to sell it for the cost of
shipping. $8  or to trade for 7800 stuff.  If you have 7800 stuff you
want to sell please email me too.  I want 7800 games and controllers.

2. WTB:Cisco NM-8B-S/T for 3640

3. FS: Atari Stuff STuff

4. cc:Mail Link to SMTP

5. FS: Atari software/books/stuff & Gameboy stuff

6. Upcoming FIRST Workshop

7. FS Atari stuff, Gameboy/Lynx stuff, books

8. Adressbook synch with default application

9. WTT : Atari stuff for other Atari stuff

10. Compatible Inkjet printer

11. Atari 800 memory upgrade compatible with XESoftware?

12. odd Apple compatible