Released: ASCREEN 3.2 (DVI previewer for Atari)

Released: ASCREEN 3.2 (DVI previewer for Atari)

Post by Anselm Lingn » Tue, 10 Nov 1992 19:19:58

ANNOUNCEMENT --- ASCREEN 3.2
============================

I'm pleased to announce that the newest version of ASCREEN, the DVI
previewer for Atari computers, is now available for anonymous FTP.
Enhancements in this version include

- Fixes for various bugs in font handling, screen management and GEM
  support. In particular, the bothersome bug concerning slashes in IMG
  file names and the other bothersome bug concerning auto-repeat scroll
  arrows have been removed.
- Facing pages can be shrunk and displayed together. A unique
  `recto-verso mode' lets you page forward and back by two pages like in a
  book.
- Extended keyboard commands for shrinking pages, setting the shrink factor,
  and closing windows without having to use the mouse.
- Extended dialog boxes; many settings that required editing the setup file
  can now be performed from within the program.
- Better handling of various error conditions.
- Support for CSG level 2 graphics and tpic \specials (mostly).
- German manual included (sorry folks, German only)
- Besides an example (in C) for `remote control' of ASCREEN, the
  distribution contains `FontList', a program which lists the fonts
  used in a document. The source code for this program is included, too.

You may get and use ASCREEN for free. You may also redistribute the
program, as long as you don't make any money off it or pretend that you
wrote it.

ASCREEN 3.2 is available for anonymous FTP from
ftp.math.uni-frankfurt.de [141.2.90.2], directory pub/atari:

        ascr32.zoo      - software, examples, Readme file etc.
        ascr32dv.zoo    - DVI file for (German) user manual
        ascr32tx.zoo    - TeX source code for the manual

(The manual is quite big, and I have separated it from the main
distribution so people who don't read German don't have to fetch it
anyhow. There is a short English introduction in ENGINTRO.TXT.) Some
other goodies, e. g., ready-made FLIB files with the most important
*fonts and AMSFonts, may be retrieved from there as well.

*Please note that this site is in Germany, Europe, and retrieve the
software only at off-peak times, that is, 1800-0800 hours CET
(UT+0100), or during the weekend.*

There is a mailing list for announcements, bug reports, comments,
questions and general discussion about ASCREEN; send mail to

more.

                                                - Anselm Lingnau
--

Software engineering: how to program if you cannot.         --- Edsger Dijkstra

Released: ASCREEN 3.2 (DVI previewer for Atari)

Post by Frank Ridderbusch, STO SI2 » Thu, 12 Nov 1992 17:43:40

Quote:>   ANNOUNCEMENT --- ASCREEN 3.2
>   ============================
>   I'm pleased to announce that the newest version of ASCREEN, the DVI
>   previewer for Atari computers, is now available for anonymous FTP.
>   Enhancements in this version include

                                                   - Anselm Lingnau

>   --

>   Software engineering: how to program if you cannot.          --- Edsger Dijkstra

I'm afraid to report, that this new ascreen doesn't run under MiNT. I
checked it yesterday evening and couldnt get it run with MiNT (0.96)
installed. Once I removed MiNT from the auto folder and rebooted with
plain TOS (2.06 on a 68030) it ran just fine.

From what I've seen the program is well worth some additinal effort to
get it run under MiNT.
--
MfG/Regards

     /====                          Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG
    /    Ridderbusch        / ,    Abt.: STO SI211
   /                       /./    Riemeke Str.
  /=== /,== ,===/  /,==,  //     W-4790 Paderborn, Germany
 /    //   /   /  //   / / \    Tel.: (49) 05251-8-0
/    /     `==/\ /    / /   \  NERV:ridderbusch.pad

Released: ASCREEN 3.2 (DVI previewer for Atari)

Post by Anselm Lingn » Tue, 24 Nov 1992 21:46:14

Quote:> I'm afraid to report, that this new ascreen doesn't run under MiNT. I
> checked it yesterday evening and couldn4t get it run with MiNT (0.96)
> installed. Once I removed MiNT from the auto folder and rebooted with
> plain TOS (2.06 on a 68030) it ran just fine.

> From what I've seen the program is well worth some additinal effort to
> get it run under MiNT.

(I know I'm late following up to this but news takes about two weeks to get to
us. Bother. I greatly prefer direct e-mail for bug reports.)

Julian Reschke tells me that the program file header in the distributed
ASCREEN 3.2 isn't set up correctly. Apparently this is because I still use a
slightly outdated Turbo C linker (it seems that it *is* time to upgrade, after
all).

Anyways, it looks as if the program erroneously professes to have a sharable
text segment. I'm told that this can be fixed using toglcr.ttp. I'll have to
try that for myself, though, since I don't use MiNT regularly.

Anselm
--

In operating-system code, log(quality) times quantity is a constant.
                                                              --- Henry Spencer

Post by Marshall Harris (G. » Wed, 25 Nov 1992 12:46:10

>> I'm afraid to report, that this new ascreen doesn't run under MiNT. I
>Julian Reschke tells me that the program file header in the distributed
>ASCREEN 3.2 isn't set up correctly. Apparently this is because I still use a
>slightly outdated Turbo C linker (it seems that it *is* time to upgrade, after
>all).

Will ASCREEN work with CSTeX on a MegaSte? Has anyone managed to get it to
work? I can't!
--

 /     B <--+  Department of Computer Science        :fx:+61 7 365 1999
 \_.-._/    |  University of Queensland, St.Lucia

Post by John Cord » Thu, 26 Nov 1992 21:37:20

>>> I'm afraid to report, that this new ascreen doesn't run under MiNT. I

>>Julian Reschke tells me that the program file header in the distributed
>>ASCREEN 3.2 isn't set up correctly. Apparently this is because I still use a
>>slightly outdated Turbo C linker (it seems that it *is* time to upgrade, after
>>all).

> Will ASCREEN work with CSTeX on a MegaSte? Has anyone managed to get it to
> work? I can't!
> --

>  /     B <--+  Department of Computer Science        :fx:+61 7 365 1999
>  \_.-._/    |  University of Queensland, St.Lucia
>       v     +--Brisbane, Queensland, 4072 AUSTRALIA (The Sub-Tropics)

 Don't know about CSTeX (I haven't got it), but ASCREEN does work fine on a
MegaSTE. If you want to use FLIB's they need to be in the Eberhard Mattes
(sp?) format, not those used by SHOWDVI.

John Cordes, Dept. of Physics,
Dalhousie University, Halifax, N.S.,

1. DVI previewer for Atari Colour Monitor Needed

        I need a DVI previewer for the Atari ST that'll work with the
colour monitor - the TOOLS Inc preview I am using doesn't seem to work
(can I get it to work - I only have German docs?).

Brett L maraldo

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------
                        "Alien Technology Today"

                   {uunet!clyde!utai}!watdcsu!bmaraldo

2. Internet Explorer lockup

3. dvi previewer capable of displaying postscript fonts on atari ST

4. HP DeskScan Software - Which Is The Best Version?

5. DVI previewer for color monitor sought

6. _Launch 2.x

7. J, version 3.2, for the Atari ST

8. TMS320C50 Available

9. Arcgsh 3.2 submitted to comp.binaries.atari.st