Doom v0.20 available

Post by Patrice Mandi » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello everybody,
a new Doom version for Atari is available.
All OS dependent routines can be chosen at start now.
This is a preliminary work, and it may (or may not) work on all Atari or
clone with a 320x200x8 bits video mode or higher.

--
                                 Patrice Mandin

Web:  http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Doom v0.20 available

Post by Ekkehard Fles » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hallo Patrice!

PM>a new Doom version for Atari is available. All OS dependent routines
PM>can be chosen at start now. This is a preliminary work, and it may (or
PM>may not) work on all Atari or clone with a 320x200x8 bits video mode
PM>or higher.

I just tried it out on my Milan: Graphics works okay, but without controls I
can only watch the auto-demo. There's no sound either.

mit freundlichem Gru? aus Bubenreuth

Ekkehard

e:\doom\pmdoom_0.20>doom.gtp doom1.wad
  Atari DOOM port by Patrice Mandin       v 0.20         29 / X / 1999
  based on Linuxxdoom-1.10
                             DOOM Shareware Startup v1.10
Keyboard.: Off
Mouse....: Off
Joystick.: Off
Joypad...: Off
Sound....: Off
Music....: Off
Video....: Vdi

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
 8192 Kbytes allocated for zone
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding ./doom1.wad
                                Shareware!
M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon - [...................]
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
startskill 2  deathmatch: 0  startmap: 1  startepisode: 1
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
S_Init: Setting up sound.
S_Init: default sfx volume 8
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display.
V_Init: allocate screens.
ST_Init: Init status bar.

Doom v0.20 available

Post by Patrice Mandi » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hallo Patrice!

Hello Ekkehard !

Quote:> I just tried it out on my Milan: Graphics works okay, but without

controls I can only watch the auto-demo. There's no sound either.

I am very happy to hear that. So maybe adding VDI routines for keyboard
and mouse could be possible, and then to do an AES version (in a window
?).
For the sound, maybe you could try the sound server (Oups, I forgot to
rebuild a binary version).

--
                                 Patrice Mandin

Web:  http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Doom v0.20 available

Post by Ekkehard Fles » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hallo Patrice!

PM>I am very happy to hear that. So maybe adding VDI routines for
PM>keyboard and mouse could be possible,

that would be great :-)

PM>and then to do an AES version (in a window ?).

Even better, but just a "nice to have".
I would have to reboot anyway in order to change resolution, because 320x200 on
a 1024x768 screen is, erm, tiny ;-)
Or would it be possible to multiply the pixels by two or four, in order to
enlarge doom's graphics, without consuming too much cpu time?

btw, I was able to start the program, kill it in MagiC's taskmanager, start it
again, no problem at all. No crashes.

PM>For the sound, maybe you could try the sound server

I could try to do so, but not before sunday.

mit freundlichem Gru? aus Ahornberg
 Ekkehard

Doom v0.20 available

Post by Patrice Mandi » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Even better, but just a "nice to have".
> I would have to reboot anyway in order to change resolution, because

320x200 on a 1024x768 screen is, erm, tiny ;-)
Quote:> Or would it be possible to multiply the pixels by two or four, in

order to enlarge doom's graphics, without consuming too much cpu time?

I planned to do a zoom routine (but it is not done at the moment). It is
a good idea, but it will be a bit slower. A better idea would be to
rewrite parts of the engine to directly render in the current resolution
(it requires some changes, but it has been done in ADoom (Amiga port)).
So it would be possible to do.

If anybody has information about reading key states (pressed/depressed)
on the Milan, please send it to me.

--
                                 Patrice Mandin

Web:  http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Doom v0.20 available

Post by Erik Ha » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello everybody,
> a new Doom version for Atari is available.
> All OS dependent routines can be chosen at start now.
> This is a preliminary work, and it may (or may not) work on all Atari or
> clone with a 320x200x8 bits video mode or higher.

Wow, now it works on my Hades 060 it is very fast.

Nice work :-)

/Erik Hall

Doom v0.20 available

Post by Ekkehard Fles » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hallo Patrice!

PM>A better idea would be to rewrite parts of the engine to directly
PM>render in the current resolution

But that would _really_ need cpu power, wouldn't it?

mit freundlichem Gru? aus Bubenreuth

Ekkehard

Doom v0.20 available

Post by Patrice Mandi » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hallo Patrice!

> PM>A better idea would be to rewrite parts of the engine to directly
> PM>render in the current resolution

> But that would _really_ need cpu power, wouldn't it?

Oh, yes, it is right. And adding one zoom routine is easier than
rewriting all rendering routines in the engine.
But there are still many things to do:
- Adding keyboard/mouse control using Bios,Vdi or Aes
- Dsp rendering on the Falcon
- Sound using xbios functions on the Milan
- Music using dsp,sample playback, or midi port

--
                                 Patrice Mandin

Web:  http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Doom v0.20 available

Post by Peter Sle » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hallo Patrice!

>PM>a new Doom version for Atari is available. All OS dependent routines
>PM>can be chosen at start now. This is a preliminary work, and it may (or
>PM>may not) work on all Atari or clone with a 320x200x8 bits video mode
>PM>or higher.

>I just tried it out on my Milan: Graphics works okay, but without controls I
>can only watch the auto-demo. There's no sound either.

>mit freundlichem Gru? aus Bubenreuth

>Ekkehard

Hi Patrice,

I tested it on my Milan last night and it looks great and runs very quickly.
The frame rate is excellent, almost too fast, maybe it will be slower once the
sound is working. I have a MilanBlaster sound card so I will be able to give you
some feedback on that.

I tested it at the following resolutions using the Doom demo WAD under
Mint/NVDI/Thing:

        1024x768x64k    runs fine in a small rectangle in the middle of the desktop
        640x480x64k     runs fine
        640x480x256     runs fine but messes up the desktop colours as expected

It only runs the demo as there are no keyboard routines yet as you had
explained.

I was able to terminate the process using Multistrip and run it again and again.
I could even run other tasks in the background but they are a bit sluggish.

Once again Many Thanks to you and the others helping on this very worthy
project. All I need now is the full doom WAD.

Regards,

Peter

1. Doom, Heretic, Hexen v0.23 available

Hello everybody,
these new versions are bug fixes:
- 320x480x8 bits mode was no more working on TT, corrected.
- Hexen: "SKY1 not found" bug, corrected.

--
                                 Patrice Mandin

Web:  http://www.multimania.com/pmandin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. IMAGE FX -> Pagesteam3 URGENT!

3. Doom v0.21 available

4. I lost my library card.

5. Doom v0.22 available

6. printing error

7. AtariSIO V0.20 beta released

8. Disposable Card Numbers Address Web Fears

9. XL-IT! V0.20

10. ADV: Atari 20/20 ThanksGiving Discounts!

11. Atari 20/20 Discount! FREE Trak-Ball!