ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs

Post by Tderri » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

M > Subject: Re:
M > ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...  Don't have any reports, but
M > for everyday use I always use STZip 2.6, never let me down
M > yet... Personally I hate having to use ARC or LZH these days.
M > Nothing against the programs, just seems ZIP is a lot more
M > standard for bbs type operations.  Andy

ARCShell by Charles Johnson makes lzh and arc bearable. But I second
the above sentiments: STZip is king! All hail Vincent Pomey!

... I didn't make a mistake.  The computer misunderstood my request.
___ Mountain Reader II - #00000077

ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs

Post by Steve Wel » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

] ARCShell by Charles Johnson makes lzh and arc bearable. But I second
] the above sentiments: STZip is king! All hail Vincent Pomey!

LZH-Shell, written by Christian G. The author of LHarc itself, is as with
the ST-ZIP thing, basically a graphical LZH.  The LZH-Shell is more
configurable than ST-ZIP, but as far as compression goes, there's very
little in it.  ST-ZIP is better with a few large files, LZH is better
with lots of small files.  In both cases LZH is faster.  But, with ZIP
being the PC standard, choose wisely!

If the files are going from an Atari to an Atari, I always use LZH as
it's a LOT faster, has a decent progress display (a spinning /|\-/ etc.
isn't much of a reference), and usually produces marginally smaller
archives.  On an 8Mhz machine, I prefer speed if the difference is as
small as it is :)

--
       Expect the unexpected, be ready for the worst, hope for the best.

Honda GB-400 / | \      Murhpys' word is law!           Samick Acoustic Guitar
  This message relies in no way on Micro$oft products - that's why it works!

1. ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...

: Having used the internet for yonks, and built up a large collection of
: the major archivers (ZIP,ZOO,ARC,ARJ,LZH,LHA....) I was wondering
: which was the best, either in terms of compresssion, or speed.  Has
: anyone a report or something similar which has tested the various
: archivers on different files and decided on the best (possibly for
: different tasks).

All IMHO. ARC is history. There is no reason to use it anymore. ARJ
is lame. ZOO is good for compatability with VMS systems. That leaves
ZIP and LZH.

Supposedly LZH has the best compression ratio, but it's not as wide-spread
ZIP is.

--
Billy D'Augustine

http://www.gti.net/azog/

2. Dr. Watson DISABLE, will it solve all the hard drive activity???

3. c64 vs CPC vs Speccy vs Atari vs Whatever

4. Cannot execute (F5) anything from ide. Help!

5. TW/DataManager ST vs. BaseTwo vs. SuperBase vs. dBMan vs. your fave

6. local "User unknown" foiling virtuser - Debian woody

7. Atari 7800 vs. XL/XE vs 5200

8. The Serial Port, rel. 10, part 2/3

9. Alfcrunch vs ARC vs Diskcom

10. GNU vs My sanity vs My phone bill

11. Jaguar Vs SNES Vs PC

12. ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

13. Wanted: ST BASIC, True vs Hisoft vs GFA 2 or others?