Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Michae » Mon, 01 Sep 2003 04:46:20

i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
i have NO software on disk,,
when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it will not
read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me error
with both  single and double sided,,

PLease help me if you can,,,
TIA

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by HP Gu » Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:06:02

the floppy drive(s) are screwed, or the floppy controller.

if they are known good double density disks, there shouldn't be a problem
formatting them

Quote:> i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
> i have NO software on disk,,
> when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it will
not
> read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me
error
> with both  single and double sided,,

> PLease help me if you can,,,
> TIA

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Steve Swee » Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:12:37

Hi "Michael"

Quote:> i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
> i have NO software on disk,,
> when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it will
not
> read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me
error
> with both  single and double sided,,

What disk are you using, if they are High density that will probably explain
your problem, you need single or double density spec for Atari

--

Regards Steve

You've not seen a worried sheep...
...until you've seen a sheep worried by me!!

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Michae » Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:16:11

ok,,
hmm,, so if the controller is screwed,, would it still spin the drives
(light comes on) and try accessing the drives?

> the floppy drive(s) are screwed, or the floppy controller.

> if they are known good double density disks, there shouldn't be a problem
> formatting them

> > i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
> > i have NO software on disk,,
> > when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it will
> not
> > read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me
> error
> > with both  single and double sided,,

> > PLease help me if you can,,,
> > TIA

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Michae » Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:35:16

Yes,, i am using  single
hmmm
do you know what chip is the floppy controller?

Quote:> Hi "Michael"

> > i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
> > i have NO software on disk,,
> > when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it will
> not
> > read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me
> error
> > with both  single and double sided,,

> What disk are you using, if they are High density that will probably
explain
> your problem, you need single or double density spec for Atari

> --

> Regards Steve

> You've not seen a worried sheep...
> ...until you've seen a sheep worried by me!!

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by HP Gu » Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:18:37

id be trying a head clean.

> ok,,
> hmm,, so if the controller is screwed,, would it still spin the drives
> (light comes on) and try accessing the drives?

> > the floppy drive(s) are screwed, or the floppy controller.

> > if they are known good double density disks, there shouldn't be a
problem
> > formatting them

> > > i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
> > > i have NO software on disk,,
> > > when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it
will
> > not
> > > read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me
> > error
> > > with both  single and double sided,,

> > > PLease help me if you can,,,
> > > TIA

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by HP Gu » Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:20:38

out of curiosity, do you have an external floppy drive connected ?
if so, turn off the computer, disconnect it and try see if the internal now
works.

When my external died, it made both drives unusable till it was unplugged.

> ok,,
> hmm,, so if the controller is screwed,, would it still spin the drives
> (light comes on) and try accessing the drives?

> > the floppy drive(s) are screwed, or the floppy controller.

> > if they are known good double density disks, there shouldn't be a
problem
> > formatting them

> > > i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
> > > i have NO software on disk,,
> > > when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it
will
> > not
> > > read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me
> > error
> > > with both  single and double sided,,

> > > PLease help me if you can,,,
> > > TIA

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Michae » Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:01:06

yes,, i have 2 externals,, and have tried unhooking and using only
internal,.,
hmmm,,,
if it is my controller,, how hard is that to find a new one?

> out of curiosity, do you have an external floppy drive connected ?
> if so, turn off the computer, disconnect it and try see if the internal
now
> works.

> When my external died, it made both drives unusable till it was unplugged.

> > ok,,
> > hmm,, so if the controller is screwed,, would it still spin the drives
> > (light comes on) and try accessing the drives?

> > > the floppy drive(s) are screwed, or the floppy controller.

> > > if they are known good double density disks, there shouldn't be a
> problem
> > > formatting them

> will
> > > not
> > > error

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Dave » Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:30:42

ummmmmm..... ex Amiga user?

St's can only have 2 floppy drives. if yours has an internal floppy drive,
one external is all you can have.

> yes,, i have 2 externals,, and have tried unhooking and using only
> internal,.,
> hmmm,,,
> if it is my controller,, how hard is that to find a new one?

> > out of curiosity, do you have an external floppy drive connected ?
> > if so, turn off the computer, disconnect it and try see if the internal
> now
> > works.

> > When my external died, it made both drives unusable till it was
unplugged.

> > > ok,,
> > > hmm,, so if the controller is screwed,, would it still spin the drives
> > > (light comes on) and try accessing the drives?

> > problem

> > will
> me

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Edward S. Baiz Jr » Tue, 02 Sep 2003 23:03:22

Quote:>i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
>i have NO software on disk,,
>when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it will not
>read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me error
>with both  single and double sided,,

>PLease help me if you can,,,
>TIA

Unless you have made some internal changes in the ST, it will not
read 1.44 meg disks. It will only read 720k double-sided disks or
360k single single sided.

--
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)

HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha & Sony CDRW Drive, 1 gig
 Jaz Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, PCI Networking Card, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, GlueStik, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2002, Newswatch, Okami, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Mint(Net), Magic(Net), N.AES, Geneva

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Darren At home Dot Co » Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:28:21

Just for clarifacation:

If you're trying to use HD disks, try covering up the hole opposite to the
Write Protect Tab.

As for controller, the Atari and PC are different in that regard. It's not
simply a case of pull out the old one and put in a new one.. My memory
reminds me that it requires a new IC - I could be wrong.

You could try checking cable connections and ensuring they're snug and
tight.
Also, someone suggested a head clean - that's a really good idea too.. The
heads do develop dirt over time.

Now that I said that, anyone have an ICD Link they don't want?

Darren

Quote:> Yes,, i am using  single
> hmmm
> do you know what chip is the floppy controller?

> > > i have an atari st,, with a couple of 1.5 floppy drives,,
> > > i have NO software on disk,,
> > > when i try copying software onto disk from pc  and put in atari it
will
> > not
> > > read it,,, also the atari will not format disks at all,, just gives me
> > error
> > > with both  single and double sided,,

> > What disk are you using, if they are High density that will probably
> explain
> > your problem, you need single or double density spec for Atari

> > --

> > Regards Steve

> > You've not seen a worried sheep...
> > ...until you've seen a sheep worried by me!!

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Barrie at Keychang » Wed, 03 Sep 2003 03:43:42

Hello.

Quote:> Just for clarification:

> If you're trying to use HD disks, try covering up the hole opposite to the
> Write Protect Tab.

The concensus is not to use HD floppies

Quote:> Now that I said that, anyone have an ICD Link they don't want?

No, but I have Link 97s for sale at 40 each plus post.

Please Help..ATAri st

Post by Steve Swee » Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:07:09

Hi HP Guy

Quote:> out of curiosity, do you have an external floppy drive connected ?
> if so, turn off the computer, disconnect it and try see if the internal
now
> works.

> When my external died, it made both drives unusable till it was unplugged.

Some drives had pull up resistors fitted on the data lines removing them
would have cured this problem

--

Regards, Steve. S.

Tea Please, Hot!, 3 Sugars, Coconut Cookies, & no friggin war stories!!.

1. Atari 1040 ST!! Please help!!

  I have an Atari 1040ST music computer.  I am using Mastertracks Pro
MIDI sequencing program.  My computer periodically locks up.  I am in
search of someone who can repair it so that this does not continue to happen.
Can anyone help?!  I am looking in the areas of Chicago or Cleveland.  But
can possibly ship if nothing in these areas.

Thanks,
Ellisa

2. Using JVC GR-AXM700 for Netmeeting video

3. Atari ST Midi Help Please?

4. More Multiple PTR Records

5. Help me please!, How to connect atari st to rgb scart??

6. Assigning categories to payees

7. Help needed please for Atari ST and CAB2.5

8. Trust and the perception of security

9. Help please: Connect VGA monitor to Atari ST

10. Please Help run Atari 1040 ST program on PC

11. atari st emulators for pc the ultimate test please help !

12. PLEASE help me with LPMUD for Atari ST

13. Oasis2 help me please,please