Using the ST with an Alesis SR16 drum machine

Using the ST with an Alesis SR16 drum machine

Post by Marc Lombar » Fri, 02 Oct 1992 06:26:35

I just recently bought an alesis sr-16 drum machine, and I was happy to see
those two beautiful ports on the back ... MIDI ports.  I am unsure of the
software available on the st that I could use with this drum machine.  I
would like to be able to at least store my patterns and songs on the computer,
but I would love to be able to do sequencing on the computer (st controls
alesis) and sample playing (alesis controls st).

Any recommendations?  I would love to be able to hook the alesis up to control
a tracker ... can Audio Sculpture do this?  (by the way, can audio sculpture
be used on a hard drive?)

Later

Post by Hendrik Jan Veenst » Fri, 02 Oct 1992 09:40:42

>I just recently bought an alesis sr-16 drum machine, and I was happy to see
>those two beautiful ports on the back ... MIDI ports.  I am unsure of the
>software available on the st that I could use with this drum machine.  I
>would like to be able to at least store my patterns and songs on the computer,
>but I would love to be able to do sequencing on the computer (st controls
>alesis)

There are various PD/shareware sequencers & drum pattern editors. Try to find
e.g. EZtrack (from Hybrid Arts). Take a look at a.a.u.e.

Quote:> and sample playing (alesis controls st).

I don't think I quite undertstand what you have in mind...

--

Department of Philosophy              -------------------------------------
University of Utrecht                     All opinions expressed above

Post by Bob Ha » Fri, 02 Oct 1992 23:18:17

> >I just recently bought an alesis sr-16 drum machine, and I was happy to see
> >those two beautiful ports on the back ... MIDI ports.  I am unsure of the
> >software available on the st that I could use with this drum machine.  I
> >would like to be able to at least store my patterns and songs on the computer,
> >but I would love to be able to do sequencing on the computer (st controls
> >alesis)

> There are various PD/shareware sequencers & drum pattern editors. Try to find
> e.g. EZtrack (from Hybrid Arts). Take a look at a.a.u.e.

You might also consider Tiger Cub from Dr. T's and, if you can find
it, M by Intelligent Music (which is now sold by someone else I
think).

Quote:

> > and sample playing (alesis controls st).

> I don't think I quite undertstand what you have in mind...

I'll take a shot at this one:-).  I think you mean to be able to have
the drum machine play the ST using samples or the internal sound chip.
I don't know if the SR16 generates MIDI note-on and note-off events -
there was a program on an old _STart_ magazine disk that would display
incoming MIDI data; that would show if the drum box outputs note
messages.  If it does, then you can do what you want (perhaps).

There are at least two (three now perhaps) companies that sell
sampling cartridges and software.  I think they all can play a sample
based on incoming MIDI note messages.  To find these products, you'll
need to look in a store (unlikely here in the US:-) or search the
mail-order houses (especially in Europe).  ST Replay is an example of
such a device.

Note that if the SR16 does not output MIDI note messages (and a lot of
drum machines don't, but I don't know about newer models - I cannot
afford new equipment in general:-), then you SOOL on this one.

Have fun (and I hope I've helped)! - Bob

The opinions expressed above are those of Bob Hays and not SPSS, Inc.

                   Fax:   (312) 329-3657 |  for a windshield on a freeway" -PG

1. Need ST based Drum machine edt/lib

Hi all,

        I'm still using my ST512 as a sequencer.  It does a fine job at it for
what I need.  I'm using Hybrid Arts old EasyTrak +.  The problem is that it
won't store bulk dump storage data for my ROLAND sond module an drum maching.
The sound module is not really a problem but the drum machine is.  I NEED a
Editor librarian for it.   It's a ROLAND R8 Mkii.  Is there anything out there
that will handle ROLAND's exclusive messaging?  I tried writing a Q and D
program in GFA basic and had no success.   Is there anything out there?  It's
either this or I'll have to outfit my P.C. with a MIDI attachment and invest
big buck in a package that I'll only use for back ups.   Thanks for any help!

Thanks,

Tom

2. Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore!

3. PD Drum Machine

4. how to restrict a host with certain mac-address

5. Using UNITERM to load files to UNIX machines

6. Win2k pro disjoint lans

7. ATARI DREAM MACHINE & COMPETENT MACHINE

8. OPENSTEP and IDE CD-ROM / SCSI Hard Disk

9. Alesis Schematic

10. Drumkitz editor/librarian for Alesis D4 wanted

11. CAF:SoundPool ADAT & Alesis AI3?

12. Q: SLM 605 shows Change Drum; changed but no Effect..

13. I need DRUM samples!!!