IDE CD-ROM+SCSI CD-RW

Post by D Galv » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:24:17

Will i have any  problems to have in a Falcon an IDE CD-ROM and a SCSI
CD-RW, or opposite a SCSI CD-ROM and IDE CD-RW?
Does this combination work good?

Thanks!

IDE CD-ROM+SCSI CD-RW

Post by Alexander Beusche » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 07:01:57

        Hi, "D"!

DG> Will i have any  problems to have in a Falcon an IDE CD-ROM and a SCSI
DG> CD-RW, or opposite a SCSI CD-ROM and IDE CD-RW?

If the drives are supported there will be no problems. I think that
there was only one driver (by Andoyne or similar) that supports
rewritable CDRoms.

In general it does not matter wether the CD-ROM is attached to SCSI or
IDE. I am not sure wether IDE CD-Writers are supported (in their writing
part...). You should have a look at your Writing-Software manuals for
this.

DG> Does this combination work good?

I suppose there are no problems with any combinations if each part works
properly.

        Regards,

                Alexander

IDE CD-ROM+SCSI CD-RW

Post by James Alexande » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:23:59

> Will i have any  problems to have in a Falcon an IDE CD-ROM and a SCSI
> CD-RW, or opposite a SCSI CD-ROM and IDE CD-RW?
> Does this combination work good?

> Thanks!

Your best bet is to check with the programs authour (Ie. Anodyne software)
about the specific drive (specific model number would be best) to be sure it
works with the software before you buy the drive & software so you can be
sure if they'll work together,  otherwise you'll get a major headaches trying
to sort it out if it doesnt work.

IDE CD-ROM+SCSI CD-RW

Post by Uwe Seime » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 14:30:10

> In general it does not matter wether the CD-ROM is attached to SCSI or
> IDE. I am not sure wether IDE CD-Writers are supported (in their writing
> part...). You should have a look at your Writing-Software manuals for
> this.

ATAPI CD writers, which are connected to the IDE port, are supported by
Anodyne's software.

                                           http://www.seimet.de

IDE CD-ROM+SCSI CD-RW

Post by D Galv » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:24:42

I have read that to copy a cd the stream have to be constant or
something like this, i also have read that is not good for copying CDs
to have the CD-ROM and the CD-W/RW in the same IDE chain. So what i
want to know is about to have one SCSI CD-ROM and an IDE CD-W/RW or
opposite knowing that both work good with the software i have, if
there is any problems like the ones i mentioned above.

Thanks for your answers.

> > Will i have any  problems to have in a Falcon an IDE CD-ROM and a SCSI
> > CD-RW, or opposite a SCSI CD-ROM and IDE CD-RW?
> > Does this combination work good?

> > Thanks!

> Your best bet is to check with the programs authour (Ie. Anodyne software)
> about the specific drive (specific model number would be best) to be sure it
> works with the software before you buy the drive & software so you can be
> sure if they'll work together,  otherwise you'll get a major headaches trying
> to sort it out if it doesnt work.

IDE CD-ROM+SCSI CD-RW

Post by Jean-Luc CECCOL » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:00:04

Hello,

D Galvez a crit:

Quote:>Will i have any  problems to have in a Falcon an IDE CD-ROM and a SCSI
>CD-RW, or opposite a SCSI CD-ROM and IDE CD-RW?
>Does this combination work good?

IBM internal 2.5" 10 GB + external SCSI RICOH 6200 + PHILIPS CDD 2600
and all works fine together with Extendos Gold and CD-Writer suite.

J.-Luc

--
+=====+    ?From? et ?Reply-To? sont des adresses de spammeurs. Pour
|eC.cu|r|  me rpondre, lire mon adresse en partant du centre vers
|c+=+L|f|  l'extrieur de la spirale ci-contre, en sens inverse de
|c|J|-|.|  celui des aiguilles d'une montre.
|o|ean|o|                        -=oOo=-
|l+===+o|  "From" and "Reply-To" are spammers' adresses. If you wish

+=======+  centre to outside the spiral on the left.

IDE CD-ROM+SCSI CD-RW

Post by Alexander Beusche » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 06:04:22

        Hi, "D"!

So you want to copy CDs on the fly and don't want buffer underruns?

Best way to archieve this is to keep both CD-Devices in the SCSI-Chain, as
IDE-Devices put more stress to the processor. I guess it is better to have
the source device as IDE if you can't have two SCSI devices.

-> DATA CDs:
   no problem, if recording speed stays below reading speed of CDR
   -> check max reasonable recording speed for your HW-Setup with "test"
      writes (with CD-writer laser switched off)

-> Audio CDs:
   here you need a good CDDA-extractor (or a good correction mechanism in
   your source device). Extract without breaks (->keep whole track in
   RAM, then put it to HD), otherwise "tck" and similar noise sounds
   might get into your track at those moments.

I have no experience with on the fly CD copies on my Falcon - I use to
buffer the data on my HD.

        Regards,

                Alexander

1. [Q} Which CD-ROM allows reading Audio-CD's over SCSI?

I recently read somewhere that some CD-ROM players allow reading audio-CD data
digitally through the SCSI interface. I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ,
so maybe someone out here knows
- which CD-ROM players allow this (and also allow Photo-CD reading, and
        is dual -- maybe even quadruple -- speed).
- the drive should be external (and SCSI off course): or is there an easy way
        to install an internal, or even IDE, CD-ROM to a Falcon (can you
        convert IDE to SCSI?)
- which driver I need for this on my Falcon 4/65
- how much I should expect to pay for the drive...
I realize, quite a lot of questions. If you have answers to some of them, it
would help me lot.

Thanks in advance,

JaHe

--

CWI, P.O. Box 94079, 1090 GB  Amsterdam       | when even food was against us!"

2. Can't connect whenever using updated software

3. CD-R/CD-RW questions

4. Component patterns

5. Advice needed on task-priority.

6. FS: Peavey SP/SXII Sampler,External Glyph CD-ROM,CD-ROMS

7. What does PIO mean/do and how does it relate to DMA for HDDs?????

8. ICD Link2 / SCSI 512MB Drive / Yamaha CD-RW configuration

9. looking for an inexpensive CD-RW SCSI drive for Atari?

10. CD Audio software done (you need BB, SCSI Cd ROM and ASPI manager, which is software)

11. Ide CD RW Falcon

12. Reading audio CD with CD-ROM player