LOTUS 2 .MOD music from Am*ga on ST ?

Post by bd_g.. » Thu, 04 Jun 1992 22:28:21

Are Software houses trying to kill off the ST in respect to games.
I received the other day a soundtracker tune called LOTUSII.MOD
When loading it into a PD soundtracker found the music to be
literally identical to the Amiga music on Lotus Turbo Challenge II.
I can distinctively remember the fact that the ST version has got
a horrible loud beepy tune (alright abnormally beepy) and the Amiga
owners get a thumping soundtracker tune which could have been put in
the ST version as it was only 82 K !  (and not packed)
I am quite sure that Lotus 2 disk is not jam full and could n't fit in this
82 K module so why did they leave it out ????

The only logical reason is that Gremlin Graphics did n't want ST owners
to have this music with their game ! Bastards.

-Simon

Post by Benjamin Gilbe » Fri, 05 Jun 1992 03:34:38

>Are Software houses trying to kill off the ST in respect to games.
>I received the other day a soundtracker tune called LOTUSII.MOD
>When loading it into a PD soundtracker found the music to be
>literally identical to the Amiga music on Lotus Turbo Challenge II.
>I can distinctively remember the fact that the ST version has got
>a horrible loud beepy tune (alright abnormally beepy) and the Amiga
>owners get a thumping soundtracker tune which could have been put in
>the ST version as it was only 82 K !  (and not packed)
>I am quite sure that Lotus 2 disk is not jam full and could n't fit in this
>82 K module so why did they leave it out ????

>The only logical reason is that Gremlin Graphics did n't want ST owners
>to have this music with their game ! Bastards.

>-Simon

This is probably because the Amiga I believe has built in hardware to
play DMA while the ST does not.  If you have a normal ST you have
probably noticed that playing digitized sounds (which are a big part of
Noisetracker, no?) takes up lots of processor time.   So, if they put mod
playing in the background of the game, they would not be able to make the
game itself very fast.  However, what they should have done was make it
STe aware so that if you had an STe or TT you would get the sound -- these
machines can play pretty cool mods in the background with little or no effect
on the majority of the processing time.

Ben Gilbert

P.S. - I am not positive that the Amiga has hardware cappacity similar to
the STe's DMA sound, but I think it does, after all Noisetracker is from the
Amiga.

1. MODS, MODS, MODS......

        Do most .MOD music files carry the same standard? For instance
can one use the likes of ST Protracker or ST TCB tracker to play say Amiga
music MODS, or are there  slight modifications needed for compatiblity
and if so what are they?
        I know there are various standards for samples -  WAVS+AU (PC's),
SND (macs) AVR RAW etc, and format conversion progs around - no probs here.

        Any hints appr.

P.S: In the meantime, I'm gonna expt. a bit and see if there are
     any compat probs.

2. Opening Microsoft Word Document from Internet Explorer

3. MOD/music players

4. how to compute Hankel function for negative order

5. Music File Format/MOD & Tracker Programmer Mailing List Announcement

6. headset/microphone

7. Quartet and Music Studio --> .MID or .MOD

8. Help building arm-thumb gnu tools on Cygnus (for eCos)

9. mod music ?

10. I am Looking for the Schematics of A 1040 ST

11. Music Studio format posted in rec.music.synth....

12. Visicalc to Lotus 123