TECH: How to tell if drive B is REALLY attached?

TECH: How to tell if drive B is REALLY attached?

Post by Jeff Beadles;685-2568;;;qua » Tue, 12 Jun 1990 02:11:43

I need to know if drive B is REALLY attached.  "Drvmap" (Which, by the way is
NOT my friend :-) says that there is a drive B, even if there isn't.  I'm
guessing that this is so the "logical" drive switching works.

I've seen other programs that have done this, but NOTHING in the documentation
that I have here.  Can anyone shed light on this?

C answers are perfered, but assembler will do.

Please email them to me, and I'll follow up in a week or two.

        -Jeff

--

Utek Engineering, Tektronix Inc.        +1 503 685 2568
                        SPEEA - Just say no.

Post by Claus Bro » Tue, 12 Jun 1990 22:23:50

>I need to know if drive B is REALLY attached.  "Drvmap" (Which, by the way is
>NOT my friend :-) says that there is a drive B, even if there isn't.  I'm
>guessing that this is so the "logical" drive switching works.
>I've seen other programs that have done this, but NOTHING in the documentation
>that I have here.  Can anyone shed light on this?

There is an official system variable called _nflops in the $4xx area which
you can use for that purpose. It contains 1 if you only have drive A and
2 for both drives. I think the address is $4A6.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,                  Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany            (Piet Hein)

TECH: How to tell if drive B is REALLY attached?

Post by LarsErikOster » Wed, 13 Jun 1990 03:06:15

at HEX $4A6 there is a WORD called _nflops (number of floppies connected)

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________

__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

Post by Wolfgang Ju » Sun, 17 Jun 1990 00:07:25

>at HEX $4A6 there is a WORD called _nflops (number of floppies connected)

Hi
===
You could select your Drive(A,B) Via the Soundchip which controls the Drive-
select Siganls off the Floppy Bus, turn via FD1772 the Motor on and request all
Indexpulses an IRQ, if you won't get on Indexpulse in 1 s (there should be
300 /s ) you probably haven't connected a Drive.(thsi can only be used with
3.5" Drives, because those have an Hardwires Indexpuls(the turning Motor
creates it) If you Use 5 1/4 " Drives you have to search an other Way to get
to your Information(I don't know if my way will work....)

Greetings
        Wolfgang

============================================================================#

#                              Bang:????                                    #
============================================================================#

Post by Claus Bro » Thu, 21 Jun 1990 19:33:47

>>at HEX $4A6 there is a WORD called _nflops (number of floppies connected)
>Hi
>===
>You could select your Drive(A,B) Via the Soundchip which controls the Drive-
>select Siganls off the Floppy Bus, turn via FD1772 the Motor on and request all
>Indexpulses an IRQ, if you won't get on Indexpulse in 1 s (there should be
>300 /s ) you probably haven't connected a Drive.(thsi can only be used with
>3.5" Drives, because those have an Hardwires Indexpuls(the turning Motor
>creates it) If you Use 5 1/4 " Drives you have to search an other Way to get
>to your Information(I don't know if my way will work....)

Many drives don't turn on their motor unless a disk is inserted. So you
won't get index pulses from them. Don't fiddle around with the hardware
if there is a OS consistent way. Use _nflops at $4A6.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,                  Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany            (Piet Hein)

1. Wanted: How to tell if drive B is REALLY attached?

The title pretty well tells it all.  I need to know if drive B is attached.
The functions that I've seen thus far always report two drives, and want the
user to swap.

I would prefer a "legal" way to do this so my application will work under any
of the various TOS's.

Please reply via email, and I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks
        -Jeff
--

2. Which FW+USB cards work OK in a Performa 6400?

3. How to tell if Drive B is attached **SUMMARY**

4. fs: Apple Stuff

5. sorta off topic here, but not really if you see what i am trying to do.

6. Netscape for CP/M ????

7. Can two floppy drives be attached to the internal Mega floppy connector?

8. freeware parser ?

9. Attaching CHINON drive to the ST (to be continued...)

10. Attaching SCSI drives

11. Attaching a CHINON drive to the ST (the saga continues...)

12. Attaching a CHINON drive to the ST

13. atari st: low-tech music for high-tech people