Can we add new attributes to a file?

Post by Shafiq Kassa » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:48:18

I am trying to figure out if we can add a custom
attribute to a file...

I want to somehow indicate that this file belongs to my
application type without changing the file extention.

Any ideas on how I can achieve this?

thanks,
Shafiq

Can we add new attributes to a file?

Post by Onkar Singh Parha » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 04:13:17

I am not sure but since Word files have their own file attributes
(Structured Storage), there may be a way to do the same for other files. I
read an article in MSDN where NTFS file system was discussed  to have this
facility in form of streams stored in files. Files in FAT mechnism can have
only one stream.

I will be interested to know about your discovery though.

Onkar

Quote:> I am trying to figure out if we can add a custom

Post by Molia » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:13:16

> I am trying to figure out if we can add a custom
> attribute to a file...

On NTFS you have two options: create a named datastream (like Mac:s
use icons) or create an entirely new attribute (much more difficult).
Both will be lost if the file is copied to another filesystem.

To create or read a named stream - use ':' syntax:

Quote:>notepad myfile.txt:mystream

will open notepad and create a new stream named 'mystream' in the file
'myfile.txt'. This is the technique used to add the 'description'
propery to files in Win2k.

Since the stream will be lost if moved to another filesystem the
approach is not ideal. A better way would be if your fileformat
supports metadata (like resources in a PE). If not - this is probably
the best you can do..

Cheers
/moliate

1. Cant add a new Profile (IAS NT4) / Customize attributes for a user

Hi for all,

1) I need to add some new profile in IAS NT4.
But the button are disable. How can I create this new Profile?

2) How can I customize attributes to a especific user like as
"Framed-IP-Adress", "Framed-IP-Nemask"?

Thank s

Fabio

2. Vuescan opening leaf files

3. How do you add a new Vendor ID for Vendor Specific Attributes

4. harddrive

5. Adding attributes for PDF files

6. Russian TeX?

7. Adding a new file type

8. Anyone help with MSDN332.inf

9. New Scenery files are added continuously...

10. AVSIM Adds New Searchable File Database

11. Adding new field or file in VO 2.5