WMI : Invalid Procedure call or argument error (Runtime error 5)

WMI : Invalid Procedure call or argument error (Runtime error 5)

Post by Pradee » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:27:28

Dear All,

I am using WMI functions in my visual basic to get the
Motherboard serial number.  It is giving the above error
in some of the machines on the client side.

Please help me with what is wrong with the application.
What are the dependencies to run the WMI scripts on the
clients side.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Pradeep

WMI : Invalid Procedure call or argument error (Runtime error 5)

Post by Maxim S. Shatski » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:15:25

Nothing is wrong with the application, it is the ACPI table in the
BIOS which is wrong.

This is a common thing. For instance, on some mobos, "ACPI Fan" is
listed in the device manager, but trying to get the fan speed using
WMI fails.

So, you cannot 100% rely on WMI to obtain things like mobo serial
number or fan speed. Wait till the mobo vendors will start to
implement the correct ACPI tables.

    Max

Quote:> Dear All,

> I am using WMI functions in my visual basic to get the
> Motherboard serial number.  It is giving the above error
> in some of the machines on the client side.

> Please help me with what is wrong with the application.
> What are the dependencies to run the WMI scripts on the
> clients side.

> Thanks in advance

> Regards

> Pradeep

1. ERROR: getservbyname call failed, system error is 'Error 0'

Hi,

I'm getting the following error during sas invocation and SAS failed to
start. Any one got any idea?

/sas/sasv8 $ ./sas
NOTE: Copyright (c) 1999-2000 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 8.1 (TS1M0)
      Licensed to SAS INSTITUTE TRIAL SITE, Site 0004176028.
NOTE: This session is executing on the SunOS 5.6 platform.

NOTE: SAS initialization used:
      real time           0.11 seconds
      cpu time            0.04 seconds

ERROR: getservbyname call failed, system error is 'Error 0'.
ERROR: Bridge protocol engine access method TCP/IP failed to initialize.
NOTE: The SAS System used:
      real time           0.14 seconds
      cpu time            0.07 seconds

Rgs,
Tshun Ket

2. GAO:Y2k could bring D.C. to a Halt

3. Excel 5.0--Invalid number of arguments error when writing function

4. How to include graphics in slides

5. Runtime Error: Invalid Field Index??? Help!

6. Cross Platform Post-Linker issue

7. Error Code 1 [ARGUMENT ERROR]

8. A place to get jobs programming games

9. ARGUMENT ERROR, DBCMD, Error Subcode : 1010

10. Error starting omniNames....Invalid object reference error.

11. Run-time error '1005' - Error in formula - help!

12. "run-time error R6003 - integer divide by zero" error.

13. ORA-1460 Error when calling an Oracle stored procedure with a CLOB param