Different Shutdown Behaviour

Post by Kevin Lian » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:27:22

Hi everyone,

     I am debugging a network adapter driver. It is based on a unique
source code for Win98/Me/2000/XP. I am tracing the shutdown operations
under those platform. I found following difference:

Win98 --- Miniport_Shutdown then Miniport_Halt is called.

WinMe --- Only Miniport_Halt is called.

Win2000 --- Neither _Shutdown nor _Halt is called. OID_PNP_SET_POWER is
either not called.

How about WinXP? (I even haven't started on it.)

     I turned on those Power Management switches in the "Property" Dialog.

     Is there any document or explaination on this issue?

     Any comment is appreciated.

     Thanks a lot for your attention.

Best Regards
Kevin Liang

Different Shutdown Behaviour

Post by Stephan Wo » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 06:43:28

What kind of "shutdown" are you talking about? Seems to me you are
actually talking about system standby and/or hibernate rather than
actually shutting down Windows.

AFAIK, power management OIDs are only support in NDIS5 and higher, ie.
Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 98SE.

If your NDIS driver does not support the OID_PNP_xxx OIDs then your
driver will be halted by the system before power down, ie.
MiniportHalt() is called. The driver is then reloaded when power comes
back.

MiniportShutdown() is usually called when the system actually shuts
down to stop any activity on the network card.

Stephan
---
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:27:22 +0800, "Kevin Liang"

>Hi everyone,

>     I am debugging a network adapter driver. It is based on a unique
>source code for Win98/Me/2000/XP. I am tracing the shutdown operations
>under those platform. I found following difference:

>Win98 --- Miniport_Shutdown then Miniport_Halt is called.

>WinMe --- Only Miniport_Halt is called.

>Win2000 --- Neither _Shutdown nor _Halt is called. OID_PNP_SET_POWER is
>either not called.

>How about WinXP? (I even haven't started on it.)

>     I turned on those Power Management switches in the "Property" Dialog.

>     Is there any document or explaination on this issue?

>     Any comment is appreciated.

>     Thanks a lot for your attention.

>Best Regards
>Kevin Liang

Different Shutdown Behaviour

Post by Alireza Dabagh [MS » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:10:16

Under W2K and XP, your ShutDown handler should be called when the system
shuts down (if you have one). No power management OID will be sent. Your
HaltHandler will -not- be called either.

-ali

rights.

Quote:> Hi everyone,