Task Duration/Start Date changing upon indenting a subtask

Task Duration/Start Date changing upon indenting a subtask

Post by vall » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 04:45:25

I have a Task of Duration 260 days with start date
7/1/02.  I also have a subtask under it with duration of
100 days with start date 9/1/02.  When I indent the
subtask under the main task, it changes the duration and
start date of the main task.  But when I outdent the
subtask again, the original values of main task are
displayed.

I want the actual values I entered to be displayed in both
the cases.

Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Task Duration/Start Date changing upon indenting a subtask

Post by William Raymon » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 06:42:07

Hi Valli,

We should talk about why you have tasks that are so long in duration, but
that's another posting altogether :-)

Anyway, the problem as you outlined it is that you are actually turning the
260 day task into a summary task.  Summary tasks show a rollup of all the
tasks underneath it and you cannot modify that information.

The way to fix this is to insert a brand new task above the other two called
"My Summary Task" (or whatever logical name you give it).  Then, indent the
two 260 and 100 tasks underneath the new "My Summary Task".  Now, you should
not lose any infotmation at all.

-Bill

--
Bill Raymond
Microsoft MVP

Office Collaborators, Inc.

http://www.mvps.org/project/

Quote:> I have a Task of Duration 260 days with start date
> 7/1/02.  I also have a subtask under it with duration of
> 100 days with start date 9/1/02.  When I indent the
> subtask under the main task, it changes the duration and
> start date of the main task.  But when I outdent the
> subtask again, the original values of main task are
> displayed.

> I want the actual values I entered to be displayed in both
> the cases.

> Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

1. Changing existing task start/stop date after Calendar change

How do I change existing tasks entered when calendar was
standard and a day was 8-5pm after changing calendar to 24
hour and date view to date and time.   When entering new
tasks I am getting the results I am looking for.  But I am
not figuring out how to change the date-time for tasks
that were entered when the time was 8-5pm.  How do I get
it to recalulate date and time given the new calendar rule
of 24 hours?

2. SuperMac's Bulletin Board

3. MSP changing durations of fixed-duration tasks

4. Pull Routing from hosting service - R5

5. Gantt Start dates not change with Resource View Start changes

6. Help? no MIDI in to PC (game port prob?)

7. Task with Start-to-Start and Finish-to-Finish auto duration?

8. WTB: Qudra 700

9. How do I assign additional tools to an effort driven task without changing the task duration

10. Outline Task and Subtask Dates don't make sense

11. Actual values moving when the Start date of a task changes ...

12. Tasks keep changing duration even though I've changed effort driven

13. Task list showing Date, Starting Time of Task and Ending Time