Dates and work and Remaining Work

Post by KT » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:56:29

I am trying to schedule work hours and remaining hours and
start and finish dates for a task.  I want specific start
and finish dates so I put those in.  Say 1/1 through 5/1.
Then I want put in 20 hours for this task.  I plan on
using it for code reviews.  There is no set dates that
this will happen in  but I want to allocate the time
anyway.  When I put in my dates, the work and remaining
work reset themselves to 696 hours.  When I put in 20
hours for work and remaining work, the dates reset
themselves.  Is there a setting that I can turn off that
is triggering these dates and work hours to reset
automatically?  Or is there a better way to go about
this?  I want the hours to be calculated into the overall
project time but not to be resetting my dates and vice
versa.

Dates and work and Remaining Work

Post by Jan De Messemaeke » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:13:14

Hi Kevin,

There certainly is a way to go about this, but I feel a bit hopeless to
explain it.
Why on earth do you use a scheduler if you heve doen all the calculations by
hand before?
Visio is probably a neater tool to just get a representation of what yoy
scheuled yourself.

Project's first and main objective is to propose planned dates based on
parameters you enter.
HTH

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional

Quote:> I am trying to schedule work hours and remaining hours and
> start and finish dates for a task.  I want specific start
> and finish dates so I put those in.  Say 1/1 through 5/1.
> Then I want put in 20 hours for this task.  I plan on
> using it for code reviews.  There is no set dates that
> this will happen in  but I want to allocate the time
> anyway.  When I put in my dates, the work and remaining
> work reset themselves to 696 hours.  When I put in 20
> hours for work and remaining work, the dates reset
> themselves.  Is there a setting that I can turn off that
> is triggering these dates and work hours to reset
> automatically?  Or is there a better way to go about
> this?  I want the hours to be calculated into the overall
> project time but not to be resetting my dates and vice
> versa.

Dates and work and Remaining Work

Post by Trevor Rabe » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:26:40

First of all, it would be good to have some more information about how you
are setting up this project plan.
Are you assigning resources to tasks?
Are you aware of leveling, what it does and why it is useful?
Are you aware that leveling can be set to either auto or manual, and should
be set to manual, with a button for "level now" on the toolbar?
How many tasks do you have?
How many resources do you have?
Are you using predecessor links?
Are you aware of the meaning of predecessor links?
What are you trying to achieve with these links?

Generally, it is important to follow a set, standard procedure when setting
up the plan.
This is not just a matter of personal taste. MSP works well and properly and
yields up all of the required information provided the procedure is
followed. There are about 1000 wrong ways to do it and approximately 1
correct way. Any of the wrong ways yield nothing but confusion. This
procedure is usually:

Make the tasks
Estimate the durations
Assign the resources
Create the predecessor links
Level to eliminate resource conflict

Note that inputting the start and finish dates or the work is pretty much
dead wrong. MSP calculates the schedule based on the data that you give it.
If you already have a schedule in mind, with fixed dates etc, then you
really have no use for MSP, since you have already done its job.
This said, it is possible to achieve exact dates if they must be used, but
not during the setting up stage of the plan.

Quote:> I am trying to schedule work hours and remaining hours and
> start and finish dates for a task.  I want specific start
> and finish dates so I put those in.  Say 1/1 through 5/1.
> Then I want put in 20 hours for this task.  I plan on
> using it for code reviews.  There is no set dates that
> this will happen in  but I want to allocate the time
> anyway.  When I put in my dates, the work and remaining
> work reset themselves to 696 hours.  When I put in 20
> hours for work and remaining work, the dates reset
> themselves.  Is there a setting that I can turn off that
> is triggering these dates and work hours to reset
> automatically?  Or is there a better way to go about
> this?  I want the hours to be calculated into the overall
> project time but not to be resetting my dates and vice
> versa.

Dates and work and Remaining Work

Post by KT » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:12:27

Thanks for the reply.  You've given me some good
information.  I also added some answers to your questions
below.  Any other information you have I would really
appreciate.  Thanks.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>First of all, it would be good to have some more

information about how you
Quote:>are setting up this project plan.
>Are you assigning resources to tasks?  YES
>Are you aware of leveling, what it does and why it is
useful?  YES
>Are you aware that leveling can be set to either auto or
manual, and should
>be set to manual, with a button for "level now" on the
toolbar?  YES
>How many tasks do you have?  >100
>How many resources do you have?  ~15
>Are you using predecessor links?  Not yet, but will.
>Are you aware of the meaning of predecessor links?  YES
>What are you trying to achieve with these links?

>Generally, it is important to follow a set, standard

procedure when setting
Quote:>up the plan.
>This is not just a matter of personal taste. MSP works

well and properly and
>yields up all of the required information provided the
procedure is
>followed. There are about 1000 wrong ways to do it and
approximately 1
>correct way. Any of the wrong ways yield nothing but
confusion. This
>procedure is usually:

>Make the tasks
>Estimate the durations
>Assign the resources
>Create the predecessor links
>Level to eliminate resource conflict

>Note that inputting the start and finish dates or the
work is pretty much
>dead wrong. MSP calculates the schedule based on the data
that you give it.
>If you already have a schedule in mind, with fixed dates
etc, then you
>really have no use for MSP, since you have already done
its job.
>This said, it is possible to achieve exact dates if they
must be used, but
>not during the setting up stage of the plan.

>> I am trying to schedule work hours and remaining hours
and
>> start and finish dates for a task.  I want specific
start
>> and finish dates so I put those in.  Say 1/1 through
5/1.
>> Then I want put in 20 hours for this task.  I plan on
>> using it for code reviews.  There is no set dates that
>> this will happen in  but I want to allocate the time
>> anyway.  When I put in my dates, the work and remaining
>> work reset themselves to 696 hours.  When I put in 20
>> hours for work and remaining work, the dates reset
>> themselves.  Is there a setting that I can turn off that
>> is triggering these dates and work hours to reset
>> automatically?  Or is there a better way to go about
>> this?  I want the hours to be calculated into the
overall
>> project time but not to be resetting my dates and vice
>> versa.

>.

Dates and work and Remaining Work

Post by Mike Gle » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 01:30:09

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-)

You might also like to have a look at the MVP FAQs and in particular please
see FAQ Item: 42.  Guide to Network Analysis.   FAQs, companion products and
other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:
http://www.mvps.org/project/

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on:-)

Mike Glen
Project MVP

> Thanks for the reply.  You've given me some good
> information.  I also added some answers to your questions
> below.  Any other information you have I would really
> appreciate.  Thanks.

Post by Trevor Rabe » Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:00:14

100 tasks, 15 resources, should be a piece of cake.
everything ok now?
please tell me what you understand by leveling. This should be possible in
one sentence.
similarly, links.
have you set up the resource calendars?

> Thanks for the reply.  You've given me some good
> information.  I also added some answers to your questions
> below.  Any other information you have I would really
> appreciate.  Thanks.

Post by Jonatha » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:53:58

Quote:> >How many tasks do you have?  >100

OK...

Quote:> >How many resources do you have?  ~15

Good...

Quote:> >Are you using predecessor links?  Not yet, but will.

Bzzzzt!

Do so ASAP. You have not even a snowball's chance in hell of managing15
resources accross >100 tasks without working out their dependencies? Amongst
other things, you won't be able to resource level to any meaningful extent
without them.

Unfortunately, dependencies are in my experience just about the hardest
thing to work out when creating a project. The best advice I can give in
this area is try to keep the granualrity of the tasks as low as you can. If
you find it hard to determine whether something is really dependent on
something else then you probably have too high a granularity - i.e. too many
little tasks listed. It's also often easier to get a good answer out of
somebody if you ask them how long it will take to make a chair, as opposed
to carving the legs, fixing the seat, applying the upholstery, etc.

Jonathan

> Thanks for the reply.  You've given me some good
> information.  I also added some answers to your questions
> below.  Any other information you have I would really
> appreciate.  Thanks.

Post by Jan De Messemaeke » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:31:20

Hi,

Just for once I disagree.
It is the too long tasks that are hardest to connect to others - they
inevitably lead to questions such as how do I connect a link to the middle
of a task etc.
Small tasks with an identifiable deliverable are easy to connect!
HTH

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
Project Management Consultancy
Prom+ade BVBA
32-495-300 620

> > >How many tasks do you have?  >100

> OK...

> > >How many resources do you have?  ~15

> Good...

> > >Are you using predecessor links?  Not yet, but will.

> Bzzzzt!

> Do so ASAP. You have not even a snowball's chance in hell of managing15
> resources accross >100 tasks without working out their dependencies?
Amongst
> other things, you won't be able to resource level to any meaningful extent
> without them.

> Unfortunately, dependencies are in my experience just about the hardest
> thing to work out when creating a project. The best advice I can give in
> this area is try to keep the granualrity of the tasks as low as you can.
If
> you find it hard to determine whether something is really dependent on
> something else then you probably have too high a granularity - i.e. too
many
> little tasks listed. It's also often easier to get a good answer out of
> somebody if you ask them how long it will take to make a chair, as opposed
> to carving the legs, fixing the seat, applying the upholstery, etc.

> Jonathan

> > Thanks for the reply.  You've given me some good
> > information.  I also added some answers to your questions
> > below.  Any other information you have I would really
> > appreciate.  Thanks.

Post by Steve » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:54:07

The rule of thumb is one task, one resource.  The example I use with classes
is:  You need to paint a room.  If the painter all by himself will cover the
furnishings, remove the wall fixtures, tape the windows, mix the paint and
apply it, you put one task "Paint the room" in the project and assign the
painter to it.  If a labourer will come in to drape the furnishings, a
carpenter to remove the wall fixtures, an electrician to take off the
thermostats and switch plates, a designer to blend the exact right shade of
paint, and the painter will apply the paint, "Paint the room" becomes a
summary task with all those individual activities indented underneath it.

> > >How many tasks do you have?  >100

> OK...

> > >How many resources do you have?  ~15

> Good...

> > >Are you using predecessor links?  Not yet, but will.

> Bzzzzt!

> Do so ASAP. You have not even a snowball's chance in hell of managing15
> resources accross >100 tasks without working out their dependencies?
Amongst
> other things, you won't be able to resource level to any meaningful extent
> without them.

> Unfortunately, dependencies are in my experience just about the hardest
> thing to work out when creating a project. The best advice I can give in
> this area is try to keep the granualrity of the tasks as low as you can.
If
> you find it hard to determine whether something is really dependent on
> something else then you probably have too high a granularity - i.e. too
many
> little tasks listed. It's also often easier to get a good answer out of
> somebody if you ask them how long it will take to make a chair, as opposed
> to carving the legs, fixing the seat, applying the upholstery, etc.

> Jonathan

> > Thanks for the reply.  You've given me some good
> > information.  I also added some answers to your questions
> > below.  Any other information you have I would really
> > appreciate.  Thanks.

1. Turn off relations between Work, Actual Work, Remaining Work etc

Hello!

I find the relationship between Work, Actual Work and
Remaining Work disturbing. From an project management
perspective these three fields should work independently.
Example: The Work of a task is set to 40 h. The activity
responsible reports 8 h 'Actual Work'. This automatically
sets the 'Remaining Work' to 32 h..... Why? Can this be
turned off?

I would like her to report both 'Actual Work'
and 'Remaining Work'. This would give me as the PM
information of actual hours spent AND how many hours are
left until the task is finished. Otherwise I still have
to make phone calls to check how the work is progressing.
Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to make the '%
Complete' field editable in Central, why? This field is
most appropriate when reporting that milestones are
achieved.

Any help and support around these issues are appreciated.

/Johan Ripg?rden, Ki Consulting Sweden.

2. Couple of disk questions

3. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

4. background process mysteriously dying

5. Work and Remaining Work

6. SUN <-> SGI

7. retrieve the remaining work and actual work for each day from timephased table

8. NEW Handy Pilot Font Editor!!!!

9. Percentage remaining of outstanding work to date

10. Multiple Working/Non Working Date Calendars

11. Actual work and finished duration (actual work x planned work)

12. How to calculate Work into "Work in 2003", "Work in 2004", etc.

13. How to show remaining allocated work ?