task start date won't move (no constraint, no actual, no lead/lag problem)

task start date won't move (no constraint, no actual, no lead/lag problem)

Post by Paula Mader Brensinge » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:49:35

I'm at my wits' end...

I have a very complicated schedule comprised of 650 tasks, that I'm
maintaining for a client.  It's a data center move, and there are several
chains of tasks which result in various servers being built, configured,
connected, tested, etc.

Each task is finish to start linked to the following tasks with no lead or
lag time.  There are no date constraints in any of them.  The first 3 or 4
tasks of each of these chains has already been completed.  The task which
then follows, should begin right after the last one in the string finished.
But it's not.  They are pushed out be many weeks, and I can't make them move
from their new way too late start dates.  Even if I set a Must start on
date, all it then does is park the constraint icon in the indicator column
but doesn't move the task.  This is true whether I have "tasks will honor
constraints" turned on or off.  I don't know if this is some artifact of
levelling.  (I hate levelling, manual or automatic, it's either a huge pain
to do it or nonsense results from the automatic approach.)  One thing I did
notice is that the late start date is way way earlier than the start date
these tasks have.  The only way I can get these dates to move is to plug an
actual start date in there, then the chains will reschedule.  But they
aren't started, yet, so I don't want to do that.  (It was a last ditch
effort to understand what's going on here, and it didn't help me understand
anything.)

This is an urgent situation - I need to provide this schedule to the client
on Monday (after I add a string of additional work that's been identified)
but I'm reluctant to add anything to this until I understand what's going on
here already.

I'm not even sure where else I should be looking for possible causes of
this.  I checked the MS KB and found nothing that was helfpul.  If anyone
has suggestions of what I should be looking for, please let me know.

Thanks!

Paula Brensinger
Vibren Technologies, Inc.

task start date won't move (no constraint, no actual, no lead/lag problem)

Post by Rod Gil » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:22:12

Hi,

Check under Project, Project Information and make sure teh project is
scheduled from the start.

Under Tools, Resource levelling... Click the Clear levelling button to make
sure no one applies resource levelling behind your back.

Calculation is on Automatic? (Tools, Options, Calculation Tab).

--
Rod Gill
Project MVP

Quote:> I'm at my wits' end...

> I have a very complicated schedule comprised of 650 tasks, that I'm
> maintaining for a client.  It's a data center move, and there are several
> chains of tasks which result in various servers being built, configured,
> connected, tested, etc.

> Each task is finish to start linked to the following tasks with no lead or
> lag time.  There are no date constraints in any of them.  The first 3 or 4
> tasks of each of these chains has already been completed.  The task which
> then follows, should begin right after the last one in the string
finished.
> But it's not.  They are pushed out be many weeks, and I can't make them
move
> from their new way too late start dates.  Even if I set a Must start on
> date, all it then does is park the constraint icon in the indicator column
> but doesn't move the task.  This is true whether I have "tasks will honor
> constraints" turned on or off.  I don't know if this is some artifact of
> levelling.  (I hate levelling, manual or automatic, it's either a huge
pain
> to do it or nonsense results from the automatic approach.)  One thing I
did
> notice is that the late start date is way way earlier than the start date
> these tasks have.  The only way I can get these dates to move is to plug
an
> actual start date in there, then the chains will reschedule.  But they
> aren't started, yet, so I don't want to do that.  (It was a last ditch
> effort to understand what's going on here, and it didn't help me
understand
> anything.)

> This is an urgent situation - I need to provide this schedule to the
client
> on Monday (after I add a string of additional work that's been identified)
> but I'm reluctant to add anything to this until I understand what's going
on
> here already.

> I'm not even sure where else I should be looking for possible causes of
> this.  I checked the MS KB and found nothing that was helfpul.  If anyone
> has suggestions of what I should be looking for, please let me know.

> Thanks!

> Paula Brensinger
> Vibren Technologies, Inc.

task start date won't move (no constraint, no actual, no lead/lag problem)

Post by paula_.. » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 05:02:49

Quote:> Hi,

> Check under Project, Project Information and make sure teh project is
> scheduled from the start.

Yep....

Quote:

> Under Tools, Resource levelling... Click the Clear levelling button
to make
> sure no one applies resource levelling behind your back.

Did that.  (I'm the only one with access to the file, but just in case
the evil me did anything... :D)  I had levelled it at one point, but
the task in question did not have anything in any of the  delay fields.

Quote:

> Calculation is on Automatic? (Tools, Options, Calculation Tab).

Yep, always! :)

I finally got my cutover milestone date back where I think it ought to
be.  But I did it by linking the start of a string of less important
tasks, which can be done after cutover to a later date, which pushed
them out, and got them out of the way of cutover.  But I shouldn't have
had to do that, and this didn't cause the tasks in question to
reschedule.  (However, this is a project where the guy that's building
hardware can build in much less time than the estimate we've been
provided, so I would not be surprised to see the task that won't pull
in via the scheduling engine do so via "reality" when we update with
actual start and finish dates.

> [...]

ditch
> > effort to understand what's going on here, and it didn't help me
> understand
> > anything.)

> > This is an urgent situation - I need to provide this schedule to the
> client
> > on Monday (after I add a string of additional work that's been
identified)
> > but I'm reluctant to add anything to this until I understand what's
going
> on
> > here already.

> > I'm not even sure where else I should be looking for possible
causes of
> > this.  I checked the MS KB and found nothing that was helfpul.  If
anyone
> > has suggestions of what I should be looking for, please let me know.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. Actual values moving when the Start date of a task changes ...

Hi all,

We are using the Project 2000 and Project Central to get information back
from the teams. They are updating their actual work daily. The problem is
that if a Project Manager re-plan the schedule (mpp) changing a task's start
date, all actuals for that task move together. It's not what we are
expecting, because the actual work needs to be consistent with the day the
resource entered it. I think that as a task has actuals, the Program Manager
should not be able to change it's start date. Does someone knows how to
avoid a PM to change a task's start date when it has already actuals?

EX:

Initial status of the task (start date = 01)
                   Day 01 | 02 | 03
        Hours          2h   3h   4h

Now the PM has changed the task's start date to 06:

                   Day 01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05 | 06 | 07 | 08 | 09 | 10
        Hours                                           2h   3h   4h

Note that now the information is inconsistent. The Project 2000 should avoid
the PM for doing it.

Thank you a lot for the help,

Eduardo.

2. Think C 5.0 on a PB5300

3. HELP: Which NOS/platform is best for Oracle

4. Machine timeline?

5. Cisco Voice Consultant (CUCM / CCVP) / No. Of positions: 6 nos.

6. smtp question

7. Parentheses, negative nos and NT

8. Site Update

9. NOS/AX25 on VxWorks?

10. eBay: Complete Set of NOS Approach Plates and Enroute Charts

11. eBay: Full Set of N.O.S. U.S. Approach plates and Enroute Charts

12. How to add page nos for PDF docs created from Webpages?

13. Quark 4 Mac Doc Pg. Nos.