Properties/Comments Field

Post by Don Huemmle » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 06:42:58

Anyone know where MSP stores the 'current' Comments field data under
File/Properties.  We found it in MSP_Text_Fields, but that appears to be
only the initial data placed in that comments box.  It isn't getting updated
when we change it and do a project save.

Properties/Comments Field

Post by Jack D » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 07:13:12

They are saved in the Project Summary Task Notes field. The project summary
task will show up in your db with a TaskID of 0 - you can show this in your
project by going to tools menu/ options/ view tab / check the Project
Summary task box). What you are describing does not happen on my machine.
Saving to the database updates that field with the change.

Perhaps you saved it under a different name than you thought. You can run
this SQL query to get the comments for all the projects in your database.

SELECT     MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_VALUE, MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_NAME,
MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID
FROM         MSP_TASKS INNER JOIN
                      MSP_TEXT_FIELDS ON MSP_TASKS.TASK_UID =
MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_REF_UID INNER JOIN
                      MSP_PROJECTS ON MSP_TASKS.PROJ_ID =
MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID AND MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.PROJ_ID = MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID
WHERE     (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_FIELD_ID = 188743774) AND (MSP_TASKS.TASK_ID
= 0)

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.

-Jack Dahlgren

+++++++++++++++++++

Quote:> Anyone know where MSP stores the 'current' Comments field data under
> File/Properties.  We found it in MSP_Text_Fields, but that appears to be
> only the initial data placed in that comments box.  It isn't getting
updated
> when we change it and do a project save.

Properties/Comments Field

Post by Don Huemmle » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 01:52:14

We ran your SQL and it returned the same data which we were familiar with.
That is, the original comments of the project from the Properties/Comments
field.  No where to be found are the current Comments, in that output.
That's not where it's storing the updated comments.  By the way...We are
using Oracle 806, if that makes a difference. I believe you are using
MS/SQL.  I just applied SR-1, but I doubt that will change things...What
release of Project 2000 and Project Central are you running?

Could the person who originally installed this have customized it to make it
operate differently?  He no longer works here, of course.

> They are saved in the Project Summary Task Notes field. The project
summary
> task will show up in your db with a TaskID of 0 - you can show this in
your
> project by going to tools menu/ options/ view tab / check the Project
> Summary task box). What you are describing does not happen on my machine.
> Saving to the database updates that field with the change.

> Perhaps you saved it under a different name than you thought. You can run
> this SQL query to get the comments for all the projects in your database.

> SELECT     MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_VALUE, MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_NAME,
> MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID
> FROM         MSP_TASKS INNER JOIN
>                       MSP_TEXT_FIELDS ON MSP_TASKS.TASK_UID =
> MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_REF_UID INNER JOIN
>                       MSP_PROJECTS ON MSP_TASKS.PROJ_ID =
> MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID AND MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.PROJ_ID = MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID
> WHERE     (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_FIELD_ID = 188743774) AND
(MSP_TASKS.TASK_ID
> = 0)

> --
> Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
> infrequently.

> -Jack Dahlgren

> +++++++++++++++++++

> > Anyone know where MSP stores the 'current' Comments field data under
> > File/Properties.  We found it in MSP_Text_Fields, but that appears to be
> > only the initial data placed in that comments box.  It isn't getting
> updated
> > when we change it and do a project save.

Properties/Comments Field

Post by Jack D » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:29:00

Don,

I am running P2K SR1 on Win2K prof. SQL Server 2K on Win2K advanced
Server.

Here you mentioned Project Central and last time it looked that you
were looking at Project tables.

Please let me know exactly where you are changing the values (in
Project Central or Project) and where you are expecting them to turn up.

-Jack

> We ran your SQL and it returned the same data which we were familiar
> with. That is, the original comments of the project from the
> Properties/Comments field.  No where to be found are the current
> Comments, in that output. That's not where it's storing the updated
> comments.  By the way...We are using Oracle 806, if that makes a
> difference. I believe you are using MS/SQL.  I just applied SR-1, but
> I doubt that will change things...What release of Project 2000 and
> Project Central are you running?

> Could the person who originally installed this have customized it to
> make it operate differently?  He no longer works here, of course.

> > They are saved in the Project Summary Task Notes field. The project
> summary
> > task will show up in your db with a TaskID of 0 - you can show this
> > in
> your
> > project by going to tools menu/ options/ view tab / check the
> > Project Summary task box). What you are describing does not happen
> > on my machine. Saving to the database updates that field with the
> > change.

> > Perhaps you saved it under a different name than you thought. You
> > can run this SQL query to get the comments for all the projects in
> > your database.

> > SELECT     MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_VALUE, MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_NAME,
> > MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID
> > FROM         MSP_TASKS INNER JOIN
> >                       MSP_TEXT_FIELDS ON MSP_TASKS.TASK_UID =
> > MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_REF_UID INNER JOIN
> >                       MSP_PROJECTS ON MSP_TASKS.PROJ_ID =
> > MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID AND MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.PROJ_ID = MSP_PROJECTS.
> > PROJ_ID WHERE     (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_FIELD_ID = 188743774) AND
> (MSP_TASKS.TASK_ID
> > = 0)

> > --
> > Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but
> > only infrequently.

> > -Jack Dahlgren

> > +++++++++++++++++++

> > > Anyone know where MSP stores the 'current' Comments field data
> > > under File/Properties.  We found it in MSP_Text_Fields, but that
> > > appears to be only the initial data placed in that comments box.
> > > It isn't getting
> > updated
> > > when we change it and do a project save.

--
Please keep replies in this news group. I do not check personal e-mail
very often.

-Jack Dahlgren

Properties/Comments Field

Post by Don Huemmle » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 05:46:41

We're running Project 2000, some with SR1, others without(all on Win2000
Prof).  Using Oracle 806 as the database.  Also Project Central
9.0.1999.1227.
The web developer is looking at table msp_text_fields in the Text_Values
field.

Source is from MS Project 2000 under File dropdown, Properties, Comments.
Comments from original project save are in the Text_Values field.  Updates
to those comments are not reflected in the same fields. They must live
somewhere because they reappear in the Comments ox when projects are
reopened under MS Project 2000.
It doesn't matter whether we pick the comments up from MSP or PC
tables/fields.  We're just trying to select them and publish them to our
stakeholders on our Intranet web site.

> Don,

> I am running P2K SR1 on Win2K prof. SQL Server 2K on Win2K advanced
> Server.

> Here you mentioned Project Central and last time it looked that you
> were looking at Project tables.

> Please let me know exactly where you are changing the values (in
> Project Central or Project) and where you are expecting them to turn up.

> -Jack

> > We ran your SQL and it returned the same data which we were familiar
> > with. That is, the original comments of the project from the
> > Properties/Comments field.  No where to be found are the current
> > Comments, in that output. That's not where it's storing the updated
> > comments.  By the way...We are using Oracle 806, if that makes a
> > difference. I believe you are using MS/SQL.  I just applied SR-1, but
> > I doubt that will change things...What release of Project 2000 and
> > Project Central are you running?

> > Could the person who originally installed this have customized it to
> > make it operate differently?  He no longer works here, of course.

> > > They are saved in the Project Summary Task Notes field. The project
> > summary
> > > task will show up in your db with a TaskID of 0 - you can show this
> > > in
> > your
> > > project by going to tools menu/ options/ view tab / check the
> > > Project Summary task box). What you are describing does not happen
> > > on my machine. Saving to the database updates that field with the
> > > change.

> > > Perhaps you saved it under a different name than you thought. You
> > > can run this SQL query to get the comments for all the projects in
> > > your database.

> > > SELECT     MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_VALUE, MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_NAME,
> > > MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID
> > > FROM         MSP_TASKS INNER JOIN
> > >                       MSP_TEXT_FIELDS ON MSP_TASKS.TASK_UID =
> > > MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_REF_UID INNER JOIN
> > >                       MSP_PROJECTS ON MSP_TASKS.PROJ_ID =
> > > MSP_PROJECTS.PROJ_ID AND MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.PROJ_ID = MSP_PROJECTS.
> > > PROJ_ID WHERE     (MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.TEXT_FIELD_ID = 188743774) AND
> > (MSP_TASKS.TASK_ID
> > > = 0)

> > > --
> > > Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but
> > > only infrequently.

> > > -Jack Dahlgren

> > > +++++++++++++++++++

> > > updated

> --
> Please keep replies in this news group. I do not check personal e-mail
> very often.

> -Jack Dahlgren

Properties/Comments Field

Post by Jack D » Sun, 22 Apr 2001 06:12:43

Well ....

That sounds a bit suspicious. They might be saved in one of the binary
fields and somehow the mechanism which is supposed to keep them in
synch is not working. I do remember someone having a similar persistant
data problem a while back and I think that was the problem.

You might try opening a new project and seeing if you can reproduce the
problem.

Another thing would be to save under a new name, or to a different file
type (.mpp) and then back to the db.

Project files do occasionally get corrupted. I remember sending a
strange file to Microsoft for analysis and they said that it was
corrupted, but like "a train wreck" there was no way to tell what
caused it.

-Jack

--
Please keep replies in this news group. I do not check personal e-mail
very often.

-Jack Dahlgren

1. "Display Properties" property sheet (Desktop Properties)

I want to display the Windows Desktop property sheet (with title "Display
Properties") from my application. I used ShellExecuteEx with the PIDL of
CSIDL_DESKTOP. It works fine for WindowsXP but fails under NT and 2k. Can
somebody help me please.

Thanks in advance,
Amir

2. APITRAP?

3. Win2k Shortcuts with Comment property.

4. DLT on SGI Indigo w/ 6.3OS

5. Reading PDF Field Properties in Visual Basic using Adobe's SDK

6. ????? Suggestions on Oracle 9i OCP prep ????

7. Show form field properties with javascript

8. Multi-homed

9. Form - Field properties - Bold

10. Field Properties - Adding Fonts

11. pdf document property fields, searching, paper-to-web

12. Changing a pdf document's property fields

13. Changing Field Properties using Vo2Ado