Gantt Start dates not change with Resource View Start changes

Gantt Start dates not change with Resource View Start changes

Post by Mick Mille » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:27:48

When changing a start date for a resource in the Resource View the Start
date in the Gantt View does not update.  Why?

Gantt Start dates not change with Resource View Start changes

Post by Jan De Messemaeke » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:31:23

Which Resource View?

Quote:> When changing a start date for a resource in the Resource View the Start
> date in the Gantt View does not update.  Why?

Gantt Start dates not change with Resource View Start changes

Post by Steve Hous » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:47:23

If you're looking at Start and Finish in the Assignment Information box
that's displayed by doubleclicking the assignment in the usage views or when
splitting the Gantt chart screen to see resource information in the Task
Form displayed in the bottom pane, or several other places where the Start
and Finish are associated with a specific resource's assignment, work, or
cost data, those dates refer to date that specific resource joins or leaves
the task.  If there's more than one resource it may or may not correspond to
the start and finish dates for the task as a whole shown in the Gantt chart.
A couple of examples, all resources in the following are on standard
calendar and assigned 100%:

1.  Bill starts 8am 30June, finishes 5pm 4July (40 hours).  Mary starts 8am
30June, finishes 5pm 04July (40 hours). Gantt chart & totals for task -
start 8am 30June, finish 5pm 04July, duration 5 days, work 80 hours.

2.  Bill starts 8am 30June, finishes 5pm 4July (40 hours).  Mary starts 8am
07July, finishes 5pm 11July (40 hours). Gantt chart & totals for task -
start 8am 30June, finish 5pm 11July, duration 10 days, work 80 hours.

3.  Bill starts 8am 30June, finishes 5pm 4July (40 hours).  Mary starts 8am
02July, finishes 5pm 08July (40 hours). Gantt chart & totals for task -
start 8am 30June, finish 5pm 08July, duration 7 days, work 80 hours.

--
Steve House
MS Project MVP

Quote:> When changing a start date for a resource in the Resource View the Start
> date in the Gantt View does not update.  Why?

Gantt Start dates not change with Resource View Start changes

Post by Mick Mille » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:07:13

Resource Usage View

> Which Resource View?

> > When changing a start date for a resource in the Resource View the Start
> > date in the Gantt View does not update.  Why?

Gantt Start dates not change with Resource View Start changes

Post by Mick Mille » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:33:30

Thank you for the clue "... several other places where the Start
and Finish are associated with a specific resource's assignment, work, or
cost data, those dates refer to date that specific resource joins or leaves
the task."   From this I was able to determine in the Resource usage view
Start times relate to when that resource starts finishes that activity and
not Start Finish times on the Gantt Chart View.  Aligning these times maybe
accomplished by going to "Tracking Tool Bar"  selecting Update Task and
update Start Finish times accordingly.

> If you're looking at Start and Finish in the Assignment Information box
> that's displayed by doubleclicking the assignment in the usage views or
when
> splitting the Gantt chart screen to see resource information in the Task
> Form displayed in the bottom pane, or several other places where the Start
> and Finish are associated with a specific resource's assignment, work, or
> cost data, those dates refer to date that specific resource joins or
leaves
> the task.  If there's more than one resource it may or may not correspond
> the start and finish dates for the task as a whole shown in the Gantt
chart.
> A couple of examples, all resources in the following are on standard
> calendar and assigned 100%:

> 1.  Bill starts 8am 30June, finishes 5pm 4July (40 hours).  Mary starts
8am
> 30June, finishes 5pm 04July (40 hours). Gantt chart & totals for task -
> start 8am 30June, finish 5pm 04July, duration 5 days, work 80 hours.

> 2.  Bill starts 8am 30June, finishes 5pm 4July (40 hours).  Mary starts
8am
> 07July, finishes 5pm 11July (40 hours). Gantt chart & totals for task -
> start 8am 30June, finish 5pm 11July, duration 10 days, work 80 hours.

> 3.  Bill starts 8am 30June, finishes 5pm 4July (40 hours).  Mary starts
8am
> 02July, finishes 5pm 08July (40 hours). Gantt chart & totals for task -
> start 8am 30June, finish 5pm 08July, duration 7 days, work 80 hours.

> --
> Steve House
> MS Project MVP
> Visit http://www.mvps.org/project/ for the FAQs

> > When changing a start date for a resource in the Resource View the Start
> > date in the Gantt View does not update.  Why?

Gantt Start dates not change with Resource View Start changes

Post by Steve Hous » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:22:15

That'll work, but be careful that it reflects reality.  If Jack starts on
Monday and Jill joins him  on Wednesday, having had something else to do on
Monday and Tuesday,  you really don't want to enter an actual of them both
starting together for either date.  The project plan should be a model of
what is expected to happen (not necessarily what you *want* to happen but
your best estimate as to what actually *will* happen) and actual progress
should be a historical record of what really did take place.