Using dual cost rates in project 2000

Using dual cost rates in project 2000

Post by 309strathmor » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:55:51



I work in professional services and need to use two cost rates in my
projects

- one to report charges and budget budget to customers
- one to report internal costs and budget performance to management

I have tried using a custom field - aka cost1 - and changed it's name to
charge but it does not calculate in any view remaining at 0 while the
standard cost calculates fine.

and it does not even show as available for reports.

this makes me have to do most of my reporting off line from MSP- I cant be
alone in this requirement but none of my current peers or work mates have an
answer.

has anyone solved this problem?

 
 
 

Using dual cost rates in project 2000

Post by Rod Gil » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 09:55:32


Hi,
Try:

View Resource Sheet.
Double-click each resource and under the Costs tab enter a rate B for your
internal costs.

View, Resource Usage view.

Insert the Cost Rate Table column. Change the first A to a B then use Edit,
Fill Down to change the rest to Rate B. Your project costs are now internal.

Now you can visit www.woodyswatch.com/project and search the archives
because I think I did a macro years ago that automated creating a report in
Excel showing cost to client and internal cost. If you can't find it my
memory is obviously fading more than I thought, but the macro is definitely
in Special Edition Using Project 2000 by Tim Pyron (I wrote the VBA chapters
for it). A working copy should be on the accompanying CD. Visit my site for
a direct link to Amazon to buy it. It will pay the cost of the book very
quickly if you have to produce that report regularly.

--

Visit www.mvps.org/project/ for the Project MVP's FAQ and third party
add-ons

Rod Gill
Microsoft Project MVP
Visit www.projectlearning.com for customized Project and Office VBA macros
and Project companion software


Quote:> I work in professional services and need to use two cost rates in my
> projects

> - one to report charges and budget budget to customers
> - one to report internal costs and budget performance to management

> I have tried using a custom field - aka cost1 - and changed it's name to
> charge but it does not calculate in any view remaining at 0 while the
> standard cost calculates fine.

> and it does not even show as available for reports.

> this makes me have to do most of my reporting off line from MSP- I cant be
> alone in this requirement but none of my current peers or work mates have
an
> answer.

> has anyone solved this problem?


 
 
 

Using dual cost rates in project 2000

Post by 309strathmor » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:29:19


Thanks Rod

This worked the way you describe but there are still some issues for me...

I had set-up the rate table prior so that was there - Following your method
I changed the rate per task in the Resource Usage View - this did calculate
new costs at the new rate (although fill down doesn't seem to work for this
column).

Back in the Guantt Chart tracking view I added the cost column - I had taken
it out in favour of baseline and actual costs - which I prefer to track
with.

My baseline costs remained at the original numbers and my cost column
displayed the new value - what could be interpreted as revenue and cost.

Unfortunately I use EVR both internally and externally and this method does
not help me in that regard.

Looks like I am still back to excel to manipulte the data


> Hi,
> Try:

> View Resource Sheet.
> Double-click each resource and under the Costs tab enter a rate B for your
> internal costs.

> View, Resource Usage view.

> Insert the Cost Rate Table column. Change the first A to a B then use
Edit,
> Fill Down to change the rest to Rate B. Your project costs are now
internal.

> Now you can visit www.woodyswatch.com/project and search the archives
> because I think I did a macro years ago that automated creating a report
in
> Excel showing cost to client and internal cost. If you can't find it my
> memory is obviously fading more than I thought, but the macro is
definitely
> in Special Edition Using Project 2000 by Tim Pyron (I wrote the VBA
chapters
> for it). A working copy should be on the accompanying CD. Visit my site
for
> a direct link to Amazon to buy it. It will pay the cost of the book very
> quickly if you have to produce that report regularly.

> --

> Visit www.mvps.org/project/ for the Project MVP's FAQ and third party
> add-ons

> Rod Gill
> Microsoft Project MVP
> Visit www.projectlearning.com for customized Project and Office VBA macros
> and Project companion software



> > I work in professional services and need to use two cost rates in my
> > projects

> > - one to report charges and budget budget to customers
> > - one to report internal costs and budget performance to management

> > I have tried using a custom field - aka cost1 - and changed it's name to
> > charge but it does not calculate in any view remaining at 0 while the
> > standard cost calculates fine.

> > and it does not even show as available for reports.

> > this makes me have to do most of my reporting off line from MSP- I cant
be
> > alone in this requirement but none of my current peers or work mates
have
> an
> > answer.

> > has anyone solved this problem?

 
 
 

Using dual cost rates in project 2000

Post by duan » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:10:15


I was just trying to do the same thing.  I had figured out
how to do it using Rod Gill's method (Rate A and Rate B)
but I want both the costs associated with both rates
displayed simultaneously.
I tried creating a Cost1 that would multiply [Work] by
[Cost Rate Table], to no avail.  It should be simple to
refer to the rate table by array position e.g. [Cost Rate
Table].A11 (table A, row1, column 1)
Anyone have a solution to this one?
Thanks in advance.
 
 
 

Using dual cost rates in project 2000

Post by Tammy Gualdon » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:15:46


I too need to track cost charged to customers and cst
(salaray + overhead) to management - gald I am not alone
on this requirement...Tammy
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I work in professional services and need to use two cost
rates in my
>projects

>- one to report charges and budget budget to customers
>- one to report internal costs and budget performance to
management

>I have tried using a custom field - aka cost1 - and

changed it's name to
Quote:>charge but it does not calculate in any view remaining at
0 while the
>standard cost calculates fine.

>and it does not even show as available for reports.

>this makes me have to do most of my reporting off line
from MSP- I cant be
>alone in this requirement but none of my current peers or
work mates have an
>answer.

>has anyone solved this problem?

>.

 
 
 

Using dual cost rates in project 2000

Post by Rod Gil » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:02:16


Hi,

Sounds like you need Project 2002! It has 10 extra baselines, so you could
apply Rate B, save to Baseline1 and you can also set which baseline Project
2002 uses to calculate Earned Value.

Use the following macro to swap rates quickly.

Dim R as Resource
Dim A as Assignment
For Each R In ActiveProject.Resources
    For Each A In R.Assignments
        A.CostRateTable = 0     '0 - Rate A, 1 - Rate B and so on.
    Next
Next

--

Visit www.mvps.org/project/ for the Project MVP's FAQ and third party
add-ons

Rod Gill
Microsoft Project MVP
Visit www.projectlearning.com for customized Project and Office VBA macros
and Project companion software


> Thanks Rod

> This worked the way you describe but there are still some issues for me...

> I had set-up the rate table prior so that was there - Following your
method
> I changed the rate per task in the Resource Usage View - this did
calculate
> new costs at the new rate (although fill down doesn't seem to work for
this
> column).

> Back in the Guantt Chart tracking view I added the cost column - I had
taken
> it out in favour of baseline and actual costs - which I prefer to track
> with.

> My baseline costs remained at the original numbers and my cost column
> displayed the new value - what could be interpreted as revenue and cost.

> Unfortunately I use EVR both internally and externally and this method
does
> not help me in that regard.

> Looks like I am still back to excel to manipulte the data



> > Hi,
> > Try:

> > View Resource Sheet.
> > Double-click each resource and under the Costs tab enter a rate B for
your
> > internal costs.

> > View, Resource Usage view.

> > Insert the Cost Rate Table column. Change the first A to a B then use
> Edit,
> > Fill Down to change the rest to Rate B. Your project costs are now
> internal.

> > Now you can visit www.woodyswatch.com/project and search the archives
> > because I think I did a macro years ago that automated creating a report
> in
> > Excel showing cost to client and internal cost. If you can't find it my
> > memory is obviously fading more than I thought, but the macro is
> definitely
> > in Special Edition Using Project 2000 by Tim Pyron (I wrote the VBA
> chapters
> > for it). A working copy should be on the accompanying CD. Visit my site
> for
> > a direct link to Amazon to buy it. It will pay the cost of the book very
> > quickly if you have to produce that report regularly.

> > --

> > Visit www.mvps.org/project/ for the Project MVP's FAQ and third party
> > add-ons

> > Rod Gill
> > Microsoft Project MVP
> > Visit www.projectlearning.com for customized Project and Office VBA
macros
> > and Project companion software



> > > I work in professional services and need to use two cost rates in my
> > > projects

> > > - one to report charges and budget budget to customers
> > > - one to report internal costs and budget performance to management

> > > I have tried using a custom field - aka cost1 - and changed it's name
to
> > > charge but it does not calculate in any view remaining at 0 while the
> > > standard cost calculates fine.

> > > and it does not even show as available for reports.

> > > this makes me have to do most of my reporting off line from MSP- I
cant
> be
> > > alone in this requirement but none of my current peers or work mates
> have
> > an
> > > answer.

> > > has anyone solved this problem?

 
 
 

Using dual cost rates in project 2000

Post by Rod Gil » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:04:25


Hi,

With the costs for rate B calculated, insert the column for Cost1.
Click the cost column to select it, then copy/paste to Cost1. This gives you
what you want, but manually.

You can record a macro of you applying a new rate and copying the result.
See my earlier post in this thread for some code to change rates with.

--

Visit www.mvps.org/project/ for the Project MVP's FAQ and third party
add-ons

Rod Gill
Microsoft Project MVP
Visit www.projectlearning.com for customized Project and Office VBA macros
and Project companion software


Quote:> I was just trying to do the same thing.  I had figured out
> how to do it using Rod Gill's method (Rate A and Rate B)
> but I want both the costs associated with both rates
> displayed simultaneously.
> I tried creating a Cost1 that would multiply [Work] by
> [Cost Rate Table], to no avail.  It should be simple to
> refer to the rate table by array position e.g. [Cost Rate
> Table].A11 (table A, row1, column 1)
> Anyone have a solution to this one?
> Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

1. using and tracking dual resource cost values in MSP 2000

I work in professional services managing porjects that
have both an internal and external budget - i.e
externally I need to track against charge rate per
resource but internally I need to track against resource
costs.

I havwe tried using a custom field for this i.e. cost1
through cost10 but it does not calculate in the view and
it is not available in the reports.

Has anyone been successful at doing this?  Currently I
must provide a number of off-line reporting outside of
MSP which greatly increases my admin time.

2. Multi-ISDN router

3. Using different cost rates to calculate cost of a task

4. Snap-in failed to initialize

5. Can Project 2000/Project Central be used as an Enterprise Resource Allocation Solution?

6. SparcServer 630 and SunOS 4.1.?

7. Building add-ins for FS98/2000 using VB?

8. Avaya vs Cisco

9. Project 2000 fixed costs

10. Project 2000 - Gantt View (Std Rate)

11. How to upload projects with attachments from Project 2000 to Project Central

12. Running Windows 2000, Office 2000 and Project 2000.

13. Using DateDiff Function Causes MS Project 2000 to Crash