Interim Costs

Post by Pete » Fri, 31 May 2002 20:23:16

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if I am just missing this or if it is not
included.....is there any way of including the costs in an
interim baseline ?

Are costs included in the interim plans in Project 2002 ?

Peter

Interim Costs

Post by Mike Gle » Fri, 31 May 2002 23:01:29

Hi Peter,

Searching Help gave me this:
What is the difference between a baseline and an interim plan?
A baseline is the set of original start and finish dates, durations, work,
and cost estimates that you save after you've completed and fine-tuned your
project plan but before the project begins. It is the primary reference
point against which you measure changes in your project. In addition, a
baseline saves nearly 20 pieces of information, including totals and
timephased information for tasks, resources, and assignments. An interim
plan is a set of current project data that you save after the project
begins, which you compare against the baseline to assess project progress.
An interim plan saves only 2 pieces of information, the current task start
and finish dates. You can save up to 10 interim plans.

Can't remember what 2002 does (I've removed the beta in anticipation!) but I
doubt that this feature has changed but I'm prepared to be corrected.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at
this web address: <http://www.mvps.org/project/>

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on:-)

Mike Glen
Project MVP

Quote:> Hi Everyone,

> I am not sure if I am just missing this or if it is not
> included.....is there any way of including the costs in an
> interim baseline ?

> Are costs included in the interim plans in Project 2002 ?

> Peter

Interim Costs

Post by Pete » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 16:02:32

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that.  Just to let you know that I have checked
out the 2002 beta and it actually has a new feature that
lets you record upto 11 full baselines including all costs
etc.

So problem solved.....soon!!

Peter

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Peter,

>Searching Help gave me this:
>What is the difference between a baseline and an interim
plan?
>A baseline is the set of original start and finish dates,
durations, work,
>and cost estimates that you save after you've completed
and fine-tuned your
>project plan but before the project begins. It is the
primary reference
>point against which you measure changes in your project.
In addition, a
>baseline saves nearly 20 pieces of information, including
totals and
>timephased information for tasks, resources, and

assignments. An interim
Quote:>plan is a set of current project data that you save after
the project
>begins, which you compare against the baseline to assess
project progress.
>An interim plan saves only 2 pieces of information, the
current task start
>and finish dates. You can save up to 10 interim plans.

>Can't remember what 2002 does (I've removed the beta in

anticipation!) but I
Quote:>doubt that this feature has changed but I'm prepared to
be corrected.

>FAQs, companion products and other useful Project

information can be seen at

>this web address: <http://www.mvps.org/project/>

>Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on:-)

>Mike Glen
>Project MVP

>> Hi Everyone,

>> I am not sure if I am just missing this or if it is not
>> included.....is there any way of including the costs in
an
>> interim baseline ?

>> Are costs included in the interim plans in Project
2002 ?

>> Peter

>.

Interim Costs

Post by Mike Gle » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 07:08:22

You're welcome, Peter :-)

Mike Glen
MS Project MVP

> Hi Mike,

> Thanks for that.  Just to let you know that I have checked
> out the 2002 beta and it actually has a new feature that
> lets you record upto 11 full baselines including all costs
> etc.

> So problem solved.....soon!!

> Peter

Interim Costs

Post by Steve » Mon, 03 Jun 2002 22:37:10

I also suggest to my students that they can use an interim plan to save an
audit trail, so when the Pointy Haired Boss insists at the last minute we
paint the database pink and we have to put those tasks into the plan, we
have a record of our first version data to CYA when the stakeholders demand
to know why we're running late and over budget.  "Well sir, this is the way
*I* had it set up before Mr Pointy screwed around with the plan!"  <grin>

> Hi Peter,

> Searching Help gave me this:
> What is the difference between a baseline and an interim plan?
> A baseline is the set of original start and finish dates, durations, work,
> and cost estimates that you save after you've completed and fine-tuned
your
> project plan but before the project begins. It is the primary reference
> point against which you measure changes in your project. In addition, a
> baseline saves nearly 20 pieces of information, including totals and
> timephased information for tasks, resources, and assignments. An interim
> plan is a set of current project data that you save after the project
> begins, which you compare against the baseline to assess project progress.
> An interim plan saves only 2 pieces of information, the current task start
> and finish dates. You can save up to 10 interim plans.

> Can't remember what 2002 does (I've removed the beta in anticipation!) but
> doubt that this feature has changed but I'm prepared to be corrected.

> FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen
at
> this web address: <http://www.mvps.org/project/>

> Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on:-)

> Mike Glen
> Project MVP

> > Hi Everyone,

> > I am not sure if I am just missing this or if it is not
> > included.....is there any way of including the costs in an
> > interim baseline ?

> > Are costs included in the interim plans in Project 2002 ?

> > Peter

1. Material cost vs. Work cost

I am stumped by a problem that I thought would be a common
bit of information one would like to see for project
planning:

I'd like to have columns in a task view (say Gantt chart)
that show the total cost of material-type resources for
each task and the cost of work-type resources.  Ideally
this would be available for use with custom fields so I
could calculate contingencies (percentages of each type of
cost)and the costs should roll-up to summary tasks.

I have not been able to do this by playing with custom
fields, filters or groupings.  Is it possible, or do I
have to export data to Excel and go from there?  I am
willing to try some VBA programming but am not experienced
in it and would need some example code to work from.

Thanks for any insights.

2. Script Timed out error 113

3. Optimistic Costs vs. Pessimistic Cost

4. How to use 2 DNS servers ?

5. Using different cost rates to calculate cost of a task

6. local lan web site not accessible (not found)

7. Including Custom Costs in Total Cost Fields

8. UW imapd: Unable to parse internal header

9. Fixed Costs - Asigning costs without resources

10. QA cost/Overall development cost ratio

11. Ratio of Maint Costs/Development Costs

12. cost of ownership/total cost of ownership

13. Cost of increasing Disk B/W vs. Cost of increasing Physical Memory