Turn off relations between Work, Actual Work, Remaining Work etc

Turn off relations between Work, Actual Work, Remaining Work etc

Post by Johan Ripg?rde » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 01:54:26

Hello!

I find the relationship between Work, Actual Work and
Remaining Work disturbing. From an project management
perspective these three fields should work independently.
Example: The Work of a task is set to 40 h. The activity
responsible reports 8 h 'Actual Work'. This automatically
sets the 'Remaining Work' to 32 h..... Why? Can this be
turned off?

I would like her to report both 'Actual Work'
and 'Remaining Work'. This would give me as the PM
information of actual hours spent AND how many hours are
left until the task is finished. Otherwise I still have
to make phone calls to check how the work is progressing.
Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to make the '%
Complete' field editable in Central, why? This field is
most appropriate when reporting that milestones are
achieved.

Any help and support around these issues are appreciated.

/Johan Ripg?rden, Ki Consulting Sweden.

Turn off relations between Work, Actual Work, Remaining Work etc

Post by William Raymon » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 05:16:56

Unfortunately, the Actual Work field is calculated and I know of no way to
keep the calculation from occurring (maybe someone else here does).
However, you can make changes to this field as you see fit.  So, if you
created a task with estimated Work of 16 hours, then the team member
reported 10 hours with 8 more to go, then enter "10" into the "Actual Work"
field and add 8 hours to the total "Remaining Work" field.

-Bill
--
Microsoft Project MVP

Office Collaborators, Inc.
"Project Management for Fast Moving Companies"
Microsoft Project Partner
www.officecollab.com

[...]

Post by Jack D » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 05:28:46

There are two ways this could work.

1) Increases to actual work automatically decrease remaining work

2) Increases to actual work have no effect on remaining work

Now there are two ways that the resource can report work

A) Report actual work only

B) Report actual and remaining work

Now what are the results of the possible combinations:

1A the way project works is the most desireable behavior
1B the way project works is the most desireable behavior

2A The project schedule will continue to grow and tasks will never close
2B Same as 1A

----------------------
So that is why MS chose to implement option 1. If you want the behavior you
described, train your resources to enter actual and remaining work.

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

[...]

Post by Tom Doste » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 06:52:31

Okay, but what about the loopy behavior I see when I add and then remove
non-working time from a resource's calendar? This happens even when I start a
new file.

Tom Doster

> There are two ways this could work.

> 1) Increases to actual work automatically decrease remaining work

> 2) Increases to actual work have no effect on remaining work

> Now there are two ways that the resource can report work

> A) Report actual work only

> B) Report actual and remaining work

> Now what are the results of the possible combinations:

> 1A the way project works is the most desireable behavior
> 1B the way project works is the most desireable behavior

> 2A The project schedule will continue to grow and tasks will never close
> 2B Same as 1A

> ----------------------
> So that is why MS chose to implement option 1. If you want the behavior you
> described, train your resources to enter actual and remaining work.

> --
> Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
> infrequently.

> -Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

> +++++++++++++++++++

> Hello!

> I find the relationship between Work, Actual Work and
> Remaining Work disturbing. From an project management
> perspective these three fields should work independently.
> Example: The Work of a task is set to 40 h. The activity
> responsible reports 8 h 'Actual Work'. This automatically
> sets the 'Remaining Work' to 32 h..... Why? Can this be
> turned off?

> I would like her to report both 'Actual Work'
> and 'Remaining Work'. This would give me as the PM
> information of actual hours spent AND how many hours are
> left until the task is finished. Otherwise I still have
> to make phone calls to check how the work is progressing.
> Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to make the '%
> Complete' field editable in Central, why? This field is
> most appropriate when reporting that milestones are
> achieved.

> Any help and support around these issues are appreciated.

> /Johan Ripg?rden, Ki Consulting Sweden.

Turn off relations between Work, Actual Work, Remaining Work etc

Post by Jack D » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 07:11:22

What are you asking? Are you asking if it is loopy? Why it is loopy if it is
loopy? How to make it not loopy?
The answer to any of these depends on what "loopy" means.

Can you describe what is going on? It would be best if you follow up in a
separate post so the discussion isn't hidden in this thread.
--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

> Okay, but what about the loopy behavior I see when I add and then remove
> non-working time from a resource's calendar? This happens even when I
start a
> new file.

> Tom Doster

> > There are two ways this could work.

> > 1) Increases to actual work automatically decrease remaining work

> > 2) Increases to actual work have no effect on remaining work

> > Now there are two ways that the resource can report work

> > A) Report actual work only

> > B) Report actual and remaining work

> > Now what are the results of the possible combinations:

> > 1A the way project works is the most desireable behavior
> > 1B the way project works is the most desireable behavior

> > 2A The project schedule will continue to grow and tasks will never close
> > 2B Same as 1A

> > ----------------------
> > So that is why MS chose to implement option 1. If you want the behavior
you
> > described, train your resources to enter actual and remaining work.

> > --
> > Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
> > infrequently.

> > -Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

> > +++++++++++++++++++

> > Hello!

> > I find the relationship between Work, Actual Work and
> > Remaining Work disturbing. From an project management
> > perspective these three fields should work independently.
> > Example: The Work of a task is set to 40 h. The activity
> > responsible reports 8 h 'Actual Work'. This automatically
> > sets the 'Remaining Work' to 32 h..... Why? Can this be
> > turned off?

> > I would like her to report both 'Actual Work'
> > and 'Remaining Work'. This would give me as the PM
> > information of actual hours spent AND how many hours are
> > left until the task is finished. Otherwise I still have
> > to make phone calls to check how the work is progressing.
> > Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to make the '%
> > Complete' field editable in Central, why? This field is
> > most appropriate when reporting that milestones are
> > achieved.

> > Any help and support around these issues are appreciated.

> > /Johan Ripg?rden, Ki Consulting Sweden.

Turn off relations between Work, Actual Work, Remaining Work etc

Post by Johan Ripg?rde » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 17:00:37

If I follow your recommendation to let the project
members report bothThen we get to the next relation, the
one between Remaining Work and Work. If you first enter
Actual Work and then Remaining Work you will find that
Project recalculates Work. It is set to the same value as
current Remaining Work. So, the project member can alter
the planned hours of his activity. Shouldn't this be a
deliberate manual operation by the PM?

/Johan.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>There are two ways this could work.

>1) Increases to actual work automatically decrease
remaining work

>2) Increases to actual work have no effect on remaining
work

>Now there are two ways that the resource can report work

>A) Report actual work only

>B) Report actual and remaining work

>Now what are the results of the possible combinations:

>1A the way project works is the most desireable behavior
>1B the way project works is the most desireable behavior

>2A The project schedule will continue to grow and tasks
will never close
>2B Same as 1A

>----------------------
>So that is why MS chose to implement option 1. If you

want the behavior you

>described, train your resources to enter actual and
remaining work.

>--
>Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-
mail, but only
>infrequently.

>-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

>+++++++++++++++++++

>Hello!

>I find the relationship between Work, Actual Work and
>Remaining Work disturbing. From an project management
>perspective these three fields should work independently.
>Example: The Work of a task is set to 40 h. The activity
>responsible reports 8 h 'Actual Work'. This automatically
>sets the 'Remaining Work' to 32 h..... Why? Can this be
>turned off?

>I would like her to report both 'Actual Work'
>and 'Remaining Work'. This would give me as the PM
>information of actual hours spent AND how many hours are
>left until the task is finished. Otherwise I still have
>to make phone calls to check how the work is progressing.
>Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to make the '%
>Complete' field editable in Central, why? This field is
>most appropriate when reporting that milestones are
>achieved.

>Any help and support around these issues are appreciated.

>/Johan Ripg?rden, Ki Consulting Sweden.

>.

Turn off relations between Work, Actual Work, Remaining Work etc

Post by Jack D » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 02:52:09

Either you let the resource update it or the PM update it. If you are having
the resources update it, then you are having the resources update it. If you
do not want to let the resources update it, then why are you letting them
update it?

In any case, it is a deliberate manual operation as the PM is the one
accepting the update.

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

If I follow your recommendation to let the project
members report bothThen we get to the next relation, the
one between Remaining Work and Work. If you first enter
Actual Work and then Remaining Work you will find that
Project recalculates Work. It is set to the same value as
current Remaining Work. So, the project member can alter
the planned hours of his activity. Shouldn't this be a
deliberate manual operation by the PM?

/Johan.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>There are two ways this could work.

>1) Increases to actual work automatically decrease
remaining work

>2) Increases to actual work have no effect on remaining
work

>Now there are two ways that the resource can report work

>A) Report actual work only

>B) Report actual and remaining work

>Now what are the results of the possible combinations:

>1A the way project works is the most desireable behavior
>1B the way project works is the most desireable behavior

>2A The project schedule will continue to grow and tasks
will never close
>2B Same as 1A

>----------------------
>So that is why MS chose to implement option 1. If you

want the behavior you

>described, train your resources to enter actual and
remaining work.

>--
>Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-
mail, but only
>infrequently.

>-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

>+++++++++++++++++++

>Hello!

>I find the relationship between Work, Actual Work and
>Remaining Work disturbing. From an project management
>perspective these three fields should work independently.
>Example: The Work of a task is set to 40 h. The activity
>responsible reports 8 h 'Actual Work'. This automatically
>sets the 'Remaining Work' to 32 h..... Why? Can this be
>turned off?

>I would like her to report both 'Actual Work'
>and 'Remaining Work'. This would give me as the PM
>information of actual hours spent AND how many hours are
>left until the task is finished. Otherwise I still have
>to make phone calls to check how the work is progressing.
>Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to make the '%
>Complete' field editable in Central, why? This field is
>most appropriate when reporting that milestones are
>achieved.

>Any help and support around these issues are appreciated.

>/Johan Ripg?rden, Ki Consulting Sweden.

>.

Turn off relations between Work, Actual Work, Remaining Work etc

Post by Dale Howar » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 09:23:46

Johan --

It has been interesting to read the thread resulting from your comments and
questions about the relationship between Work, Actual Work, and Remaining
Work.  I might recommend a "best practice" approach to your progress
reporting needs, which might also answer your concerns.  The best practice
would be this:

1.  Ask your resources to record their Actual Work on each task on a DAILY
basis, and then report those values to you on a WEEKLY basis, at the end of
the week. This will eliminate "fuzzy memory" problems late Friday afternoon,
when somebody tries to remember what they did on Monday!

2.  Ask your resources to adjust the Remaining Work value, ONLY if an
adjustment is necessary.  The resource would adjust the Remaining Work
HIGHER if they believe they have MORE work left to do than Project
estimates, or they could adjust the number lower if they believe they have
LESS work to do than Project estimates.  And if they finish a task early,
they would indicate the early finish by changing the Remaining Work value to
0 (zero).

3.  Ask your resources to send you a Note to let you know that they have
adjusted the Remaining Work value...and WHY!  This ensures good project
communications between you and your people.

How would this work in the real world?  Assume that you have assigned me to
a 40-hour task, to be performed over a 10-day time period.  At the end of
the first week, I have performed 30 hours of Actual Work.  Project
calculates that I should have 10 hours of Remaining Work left.  However,
because of problems with the work on this task, I will have to redo 10 hours
of the work all over again (somebody else screwed up!).  Therefore, I will
adjust my Remaining Work value to 20 hours to let you, my Project Manager,
know that my work is taking more hours than we originally budgeted.
Remember this: in Microsoft Project's world, Work = Actual Work + Remaining
Work.  Therefore, Project would now show that Work is now 50 hours (30 hours
of Actual Work + 20 hours of Remaining Work).  As a resource, I would also
send you a note, explaining WHY I changed the Remaining Work value.

On the other hand, what if I performed 30 hours of Actual Work on that task,
but at the end of the first week, I have actually finished early?  In this
scenario, I would report 30 hours of Actual Work, adjust the Remaining Work
to 0 hours, and send you a Note to let you know that we budgeted more work
hours than I actually needed to complete the task.

By the way, this is how we ask the employees at our own company to report
their "actuals" to us each week.  I am happy to report that it works very
nicely!  Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

eDale

[...]

Post by Johan Ripg?rde » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 17:24:33

I don't think you understand what I've been getting at. I
WANT the resource to report both Actual Work and
Remaining Work.
As a PM I want at an early stage track tasks that aren't
following work budget (Work and Baseline Work). If the
Work field keeps changing according to the reported
Remaining Work I loose track of what the current work
budget is and I'm left only Baseline Work as budget
indicator. For the resources it is confusing to see that
Work is changing in Central/Timesheet as they report
Remaining Work.
I also want to know the Remaining Work to be a subjective
value, and not to be automatically calculated.

I now understand that this is the way it is supposed to
work in Project and that I can't do anything about it.
But I, more people with me, doesn't think it's good. This
behaviour is very basic in the use of a project
management tool, that's why I've been nagging about it.

Thank you for your responses,

Johan Ripg?rden.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Either you let the resource update it or the PM update

it. If you are having
Quote:>the resources update it, then you are having the

resources update it. If you
>do not want to let the resources update it, then why are
you letting them
>update it?

>In any case, it is a deliberate manual operation as the
PM is the one
>accepting the update.

>--
>Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-
mail, but only
>infrequently.

>-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

>+++++++++++++++++++

>If I follow your recommendation to let the project
>members report bothThen we get to the next relation, the
>one between Remaining Work and Work. If you first enter
>Actual Work and then Remaining Work you will find that
>Project recalculates Work. It is set to the same value as
>current Remaining Work. So, the project member can alter
>the planned hours of his activity. Shouldn't this be a
>deliberate manual operation by the PM?

>/Johan.

Post by Jack D » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:28:35

1) The baseline is to store your budget in. That is what it is designed for
and it is used in all of the earned value calculations as the Budget. You
can set up views which compare the actual with the budgeted work.

2) There is nothing to stop the resources from entering actual and remaining
work. You are correct that entering both is what should be done. Simply tell
your resources how to do this and tell them that the work field shows the
sum of the actual and remaining work. If you want to give them more
information, include the baseline work in the assignment that you send. Then
they will have all the information necessary to understand their progress.

My point is that it DOES work the way you want it to, but you just have to
tell people to use it that way.
I agree that it could be less confusing.

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

I don't think you understand what I've been getting at. I
WANT the resource to report both Actual Work and
Remaining Work.
As a PM I want at an early stage track tasks that aren't
following work budget (Work and Baseline Work). If the
Work field keeps changing according to the reported
Remaining Work I loose track of what the current work
budget is and I'm left only Baseline Work as budget
indicator. For the resources it is confusing to see that
Work is changing in Central/Timesheet as they report
Remaining Work.
I also want to know the Remaining Work to be a subjective
value, and not to be automatically calculated.

I now understand that this is the way it is supposed to
work in Project and that I can't do anything about it.
But I, more people with me, doesn't think it's good. This
behaviour is very basic in the use of a project
management tool, that's why I've been nagging about it.

Thank you for your responses,

Johan Ripg?rden.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Either you let the resource update it or the PM update

it. If you are having
Quote:>the resources update it, then you are having the

resources update it. If you
>do not want to let the resources update it, then why are
you letting them
>update it?

>In any case, it is a deliberate manual operation as the
PM is the one
>accepting the update.

>--
>Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-
mail, but only
>infrequently.

>-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

>+++++++++++++++++++

>If I follow your recommendation to let the project
>members report bothThen we get to the next relation, the
>one between Remaining Work and Work. If you first enter
>Actual Work and then Remaining Work you will find that
>Project recalculates Work. It is set to the same value as
>current Remaining Work. So, the project member can alter
>the planned hours of his activity. Shouldn't this be a
>deliberate manual operation by the PM?

>/Johan.

1. Actual work and finished duration (actual work x planned work)

Hi, friends.

I have a project with a lot of tasks that, unfortunately, are executed in a
order different from id's. The problem is that, because of this, I dont
know how is the status of the project, i.e., the project statistics shows me
that the project is 65% finished and % of work is 61%.

I think % of work is different of % duration, isn't it?

There are tasks in the beginning of the project that are finished; there are
tasks in dates before today not started; but there are many tasks originally
in the future already started and finished.

So, today, I dont know how I am....

How can I know if I am late or if I am ok with the status of project? If the
tasks would started in my planned order, no problem, but how they happens
differently and I have ancient tasks not started and future tasks already
finished I'm lost.

Is there a way to compare the total of planned work with the actual work or
the current work?

Thanks for all,

Carlos

PS: Forgive me for my poor English

2. Hotmail login failes?

3. retrieve the remaining work and actual work for each day from timephased table

4. Best practice for Hot Desking and Mobile Users

5. Tracking Actual Work Without Recalculating Work, Effort, Duration etc - How?

6. Windope, LAN & OS/2

7. Actual Work in Project vs Actual Work in Central

8. C+@ Standard Class Library

9. How to calculate Work into "Work in 2003", "Work in 2004", etc.

10. Dates and work and Remaining Work

11. Work and Remaining Work

12. Task marked complete when actual work >= to est work

13. Tracking work estimates vs actual work