Tasks keep changing duration even though I've changed effort driven

Tasks keep changing duration even though I've changed effort driven

Post by Nate Weldo » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:16:03

I know this is my second post for the day but I just seem to be having alot of
trouble today.
This is my situation:
Project 2000 SR-1
Windows NT 4.0 workstation

This is the first time I've encountered the problem so I think it has something
to do with service pack one, but I'm not sure. Anyway here we go: I've changed
default task type to fixed duration, I've selected all tasks by clicking task
name in the column header and then de-selected effort driven, I've de-selected
new tasks are effort driven. When I go into my project and try to change the
resource assignment percentages all of the tasks are changing duration. So I went
into each task, and they are effort driven again. Is there something I'm doing
wrong here, is service pack one messing my box up, or am I just going nuts.

Please help,
I have many projects to change resource assignment percentages for, and I don't
want to go into each task and un-select effort driven 1000 times or more.
Nate Weldon

Tasks keep changing duration even though I've changed effort driven

Post by Mike Gle » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 05:36:59

Hi Nate,

I assume you changed all the tasks by using the Task Information form - did
you select fixed duration in the same form at the same time?   Changing any
of the defaults set in Tools/Options... only affects the future and not what
has already been entered (always set the defaults before entering any data).

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at
this web address: <http://www.mvps.org/project/>

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on:-)

Mike Glen
Project MVP

[...]

1. How do I assign additional tools to an effort driven task without changing the task duration

I have a project where I am balancing use of a limited tool (cranes and
cargo vans) set in addition to people. What I'd like to have happen is that
adding people makes the task complete faster. Adding tools, while necessary
for the task, shouldn't affect the completion time. Where to I tell Project
that a resource is a "tool" and can do no work?

For example, I have an installation task. I have assigned Jim to this task
and a lifting crane. The task requires 4 hours of effort. Later I come along
and can assign Paul to help Jim out, when I add Paul to the task the
duration goes from 4 hours to 2.66 hours, I say it should drop to 2 hours
since Jim & Paul do the work and the lifting crane is a tool Jim and Paul
use to complete the task. The related issue is that besides the lifting
crane I need to dedicate additional tool resources, and ensure tool
resources (i.e., the single loading dock) that are not available to other
tasks, to the original task as we learn more about the particular
configuration of the installation. I would like to be able to add tools
without having to review/correct the MS-Project calculated task duration
each time.

I am currently using MS-Project 98 but if the solution requires an upgrade
to MS-Project 2000 that would be enough to make me justify the switch.

Thank you in advance.

Michael J Dyer

2. Atari Middle Earth Pinball

3. MSP changing durations of fixed-duration tasks

4. Q: IMS/DC read/update access?

5. Install keeps asking for CD even though an actual Project CD is in the drive

6. HELP: example file Solaris x86

7. Task Duration on/Effort Driven off problem

8. connection problem

9. Cost of resources changes when duration changes

10. Adobe Acrobat Distiller can't find font, even though it's there!

11. Ignore the Town Idiot (even though he think's he's alive)

12. Changing 'Duration' units to seconds

13. Task Duration/Start Date changing upon indenting a subtask