Microsoft Project - Resource Gantt View

Post by Jack D » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 07:04:21

Sort or Group your project by resource name.
If you have multiple resources per task then filter for each resource and
print it out.

I posted a macro a macro which will do this for each resource. You can find
the macro at:

http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm

scroll down and select the one titled "Print Resource Charts"

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

Quote:> I have a need to print tasks by resource, with a gantt
> view.  I cannot see how this is done within Project 2000.
> I can view the Resource Usage chart which breaks down
> tasks by resource, which is great, but I'd like the gantt
> view displayed to the right to show at a quick glance
> which tasks are overlapping for an individual resource.

> Anyone know of a way to do this?

Microsoft Project - Resource Gantt View

Post by Anne » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 07:28:53

I tried copying your macro and running it, but received a
run-time error 1101 on line "ZoomTimescale Selection:=True"

How much tweaking should I have to do before I can run
this macro?  I'm just wondering if it should be as simple
as cut, paste, run, or if I need to put effort into
customizing it on my end.

Thanks!  :)

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Sort or Group your project by resource name.
>If you have multiple resources per task then filter for
each resource and
>print it out.

>I posted a macro a macro which will do this for each

resource. You can find
Quote:>the macro at:

>http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm

>scroll down and select the one titled "Print Resource
Charts"

>--
>Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-
mail, but only
>infrequently.
>For Macros and other things check

http://masamiki.com/project

>-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

>+++++++++++++++++++

>> I have a need to print tasks by resource, with a gantt
>> view.  I cannot see how this is done within Project
2000.
>> I can view the Resource Usage chart which breaks down
>> tasks by resource, which is great, but I'd like the
gantt
>> view displayed to the right to show at a quick glance
>> which tasks are overlapping for an individual resource.

>> Anyone know of a way to do this?

>.

Microsoft Project - Resource Gantt View

Post by Jack D » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 08:56:52

The minimum amount of tweaking would be to add an '
at the start of that line. That will make project skip that line.

That line is optional.

If you send me the file I'll see why it is barfing.

Maybe external resources? Maybe a blank line? It works on the files I have.
--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.
For Macros and other things check http://masamiki.com/project

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

> I tried copying your macro and running it, but received a
> run-time error 1101 on line "ZoomTimescale Selection:=True"

> How much tweaking should I have to do before I can run
> this macro?  I'm just wondering if it should be as simple
> as cut, paste, run, or if I need to put effort into
> customizing it on my end.

> Thanks!  :)

Post by Anne » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 10:07:48

Hi Jack.

Thanks for the tip.  The appears to work, printing each
resource on a separate page.  Now if I can get it to print
on the same page(s), I'll be set!  Just don't want to
waste paper.  If you have a tip for printing on one page,
let me know.

Otherwise, thanks so much for your help.  You've made my
life easier.  :)

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The minimum amount of tweaking would be to add an '
>at the start of that line. That will make project skip
that line.

>That line is optional.

>If you send me the file I'll see why it is barfing.

>Maybe external resources? Maybe a blank line? It works on
the files I have.
>--
>Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-
mail, but only
>infrequently.
>For Macros and other things check

http://masamiki.com/project

>-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

>+++++++++++++++++++

>> I tried copying your macro and running it, but received
>> run-time error 1101 on line "ZoomTimescale
Selection:=True"

>> How much tweaking should I have to do before I can run
>> this macro?  I'm just wondering if it should be as
simple
>> as cut, paste, run, or if I need to put effort into
>> customizing it on my end.

>> Thanks!  :)

message

gantt
>> 2000.
>> gantt
resource.

>> >.

>.

Microsoft Project - Resource Gantt View

Post by Jack D » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 11:32:22

Sorry, each resource gets its own print command. I don't think I could make
it work the way you want without some serious coding. (it would have to
create a new project file)

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.
For Macros and other things check http://masamiki.com/project

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

> Hi Jack.

> Thanks for the tip.  The appears to work, printing each
> resource on a separate page.  Now if I can get it to print
> on the same page(s), I'll be set!  Just don't want to
> waste paper.  If you have a tip for printing on one page,
> let me know.

> Otherwise, thanks so much for your help.  You've made my
> life easier.  :)

Post by Anne » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 00:59:40

I think I have one final question:

Is there an easy way to get the macro to print those tasks
where I have multiple resources assigned?  When I print a
report for a particular resource, I would still like the
report to print the tasks that the resource shares with
others.  Basically, I want to see ALL tasks the resource
is assigned to.  Is that easy to add?

I apologize, but I'm not great with VB.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Sort or Group your project by resource name.
>If you have multiple resources per task then filter for
each resource and
>print it out.

>I posted a macro a macro which will do this for each

resource. You can find
Quote:>the macro at:

>http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm

>scroll down and select the one titled "Print Resource
Charts"

>--
>Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-
mail, but only
>infrequently.
>For Macros and other things check

http://masamiki.com/project

>-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

>+++++++++++++++++++

>> I have a need to print tasks by resource, with a gantt
>> view.  I cannot see how this is done within Project
2000.
>> I can view the Resource Usage chart which breaks down
>> tasks by resource, which is great, but I'd like the
gantt
>> view displayed to the right to show at a quick glance
>> which tasks are overlapping for an individual resource.

>> Anyone know of a way to do this?

>.

Microsoft Project - Resource Gantt View

Post by Jack D » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 01:58:54

I was just thinking about doing that and now it is done. Shows all tasks
that have that resource assigned to them.

I also fixed the problem you had earlier.
I believe it was due to having resources in your plan that were not assigned
to any tasks.

Try the new version:

http://masamiki.com/project/prntrescht.bas

--
Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-mail, but only
infrequently.
For Macros and other things check http://masamiki.com/project

-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

+++++++++++++++++++

> I think I have one final question:

> Is there an easy way to get the macro to print those tasks
> where I have multiple resources assigned?  When I print a
> report for a particular resource, I would still like the
> report to print the tasks that the resource shares with
> others.  Basically, I want to see ALL tasks the resource
> is assigned to.  Is that easy to add?

> I apologize, but I'm not great with VB.

Post by Anne » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 06:25:57

You're a star Jack!  Thanks very much for your help.  This
is invaluable.  I passed your link to some PM friends of
mine in another company.  Great work.  :)

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I was just thinking about doing that and now it is done.
Shows all tasks
>that have that resource assigned to them.

>I also fixed the problem you had earlier.
>I believe it was due to having resources in your plan

that were not assigned
Quote:>to any tasks.

>Try the new version:

>http://masamiki.com/project/prntrescht.bas

>--
>Please try to keep replies in this group. I do check e-
mail, but only
>infrequently.
>For Macros and other things check

http://masamiki.com/project

>-Jack Dahlgren, Project MVP

>+++++++++++++++++++

>> I think I have one final question:

>> Is there an easy way to get the macro to print those
tasks
>> where I have multiple resources assigned?  When I print
>> report for a particular resource, I would still like the
>> report to print the tasks that the resource shares with
>> others.  Basically, I want to see ALL tasks the resource
>> is assigned to.  Is that easy to add?

>> I apologize, but I'm not great with VB.

message

gantt
>> 2000.
>> gantt
resource.

>> >.

>.

Microsoft Project - Resource Gantt View

Post by Jack D » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 07:12:56

You are welcome,
Let me know if you find any other bugs...