export controls - journalist wants opinions

Post by Donald T. Dav » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

a journalist with "bank systems + tech" magazine wants
people's opinions about the burns bill and crypto
export regulations. i'm forwarding it here, with
her permission. i would have forwarded earlier, but
only received her permission today.

                                -don davis, boston
Date: Tue, 07 May 96 11:00:12 PST

Subject: encryption export bill

According to an article in last week's Wall Street Journal, Sen. Conrad Burns
planned to introduce a new bill that would ease fed government's crypto export
rules.

I'm aware that various groups and individuals have been pushing for a change in
the export laws for some time now. So I'm looking to find out what's new about
this bill and what the realistic chances are for its passage. Does anyone have
any additional information on this or know where I could find some?

Assuming there is news here, I'm also interested in hearing thoughts about this
bill and its significance (or lack thereof, as the case may be) from any of you
who follow this area and have an interest in commenting.

Please email me, either privately or via the list.

Thanks,

CJ Prince
Senior Associate Editor
Bank Systems + Technology Magazine

1. Volume control opinions

I'm about to remodel several rooms in my house and need to install
some inexpensive, impedance-matching volume controls at the same time.
I'll have speaker wire distributed throughout the house via a non-IM
distribution block, and let the volume controls handle the impedance
matching in each room.  I've been looking at several available from
Home Controls (both in their catalog and at http://www.homecontrols.com
-> site map -> online store -> departments -> audio).

Those on the first web page (made by Imagine / Buffalo Electronics)
claim to do "automatic impedance matching" that auto-detects the right
impedance without any manual settings.  How do they do it?  How well
do these work?  They have a similar switch on the second page.  Anybody
out there using them?

They also have some OEM controls on the fourth page.  The description
doesn't say how it sets the impedance.  Is it automatic?  Are there
jumpers?  Must I solder it?  Is anybody using these switches that can
give me their opinion of them?

                                Thanks in advance,
                                Obi-Wan

--

     "Uh-oh"  -- my brother Toby, upon learning he'd be an uncle
          Anybody want to buy a Jeep XJ Dana 44 rear axle?

2. CGI scripts under Windows 2000 Server ? ? ? ? ?

3. Request - opinions on slink-e for IR control

4. problem with my MSN website at talkcity.com

5. "Senate Committee Approves Rewrite of Basic Export Control Law "

6. laptop uses?

7. Encryption Export Controls Ruled Unconstitutional

8. Word'97/2000 - XML bi-directional conversion

9. US export control of cryptography is changing

10. changing export controls

11. Export control of Kerberos based products

12. Kerberos and Export control

13. Export control and encrypted sessions