What do I need?

Post by David Bekaer » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:18:56

I want to use a win2000 server as a KDC.
The clients will be debian Linux.
The purpose is that the users can log in on each client and access the file
shares on the server.

Wich version of kerberos do i need for my clients?

Do I have to use a pam module?

Do I need to set up DNS on my server?

Thanks in advance.

David

What do I need?

Post by Danilo Almeid » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:51:49

Quote:> I want to use a win2000 server as a KDC.
> The clients will be debian Linux.
> The purpose is that the users can log in on each client and
> access the file
> shares on the server.

> Wich version of kerberos do i need for my clients?

> Do I have to use a pam module?

> Do I need to set up DNS on my server?

> Thanks in advance.

> David

What client are you going to use to access the file shares?  I have a
feeling you won't be able to do what you want...unless the Samba client now
has Win2k Kerberos support.  (Maybe it does, and I'm just not aware of
it...)

- Danilo

What do I need?

Post by David Bekaer » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 04:51:10

--with-krb5=base-directory

Include support for Kerberos version 5.0, explicitly specifying the base
directory of the distribution. Microsoft has announced that Kerberos 5.0
will be the standard authentication mechanism for Microsoft Windows 2000 (NT
5.0). However, there is no guarantee that Microsoft will not extend Kerberos
for their own needs in the future. Currently, Samba's Kerberos support only
uses a plaintext password interface and not an encrypted one. You can find
more information on Kerberos at its home page:
http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www.

I hope this is not only for the smb server but also for the clients...
What do you think?

Quote:> > I want to use a win2000 server as a KDC.
> > The clients will be debian Linux.
> > The purpose is that the users can log in on each client and
> > access the file
> > shares on the server.

> > Wich version of kerberos do i need for my clients?

> > Do I have to use a pam module?

> > Do I need to set up DNS on my server?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > David

> What client are you going to use to access the file shares?  I have a
> feeling you won't be able to do what you want...unless the Samba client
now
> has Win2k Kerberos support.  (Maybe it does, and I'm just not aware of
> it...)

> - Danilo

What do I need?

Post by Alexander G. Paol » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:10:56

David,

Exactly what do you mean --with-krb5=base

I am new to this. Find with win2k Kerberos implementation, just not the MIT
version. I have a very large network and want the unix clients to log on
using tickets issued by win2K KDC.

Either way, I installed the MIT 1.2.X version of Kerberos5 on a Linux
machine in the lab. I only passed the arguments of --enable-shared
and --enable-dns

I thought it had support for KRB5. So back to the original question above.
And what is the base_dir exactly.

God I fell like an absolute idiot. Oh well. (idiot hat on!). Also, do you
have any links (etc) to people who have successfully made this work ? Or any
other data.

Alexander G. Paoli
VP Technology, Chief Network Architect
NetConstruct, Inc.

> --with-krb5=base-directory

> Include support for Kerberos version 5.0, explicitly specifying the base
> directory of the distribution. Microsoft has announced that Kerberos 5.0
> will be the standard authentication mechanism for Microsoft Windows 2000
(NT
> 5.0). However, there is no guarantee that Microsoft will not extend
Kerberos
> for their own needs in the future. Currently, Samba's Kerberos support
only
> uses a plaintext password interface and not an encrypted one. You can find
> more information on Kerberos at its home page:
> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www.

> I hope this is not only for the smb server but also for the clients...
> What do you think?

> > > I want to use a win2000 server as a KDC.
> > > The clients will be debian Linux.
> > > The purpose is that the users can log in on each client and
> > > access the file
> > > shares on the server.

> > > Wich version of kerberos do i need for my clients?

> > > Do I have to use a pam module?

> > > Do I need to set up DNS on my server?

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > David

> > What client are you going to use to access the file shares?  I have a
> > feeling you won't be able to do what you want...unless the Samba client
> now
> > has Win2k Kerberos support.  (Maybe it does, and I'm just not aware of
> > it...)

> > - Danilo

What do I need?

Post by David Bekaer » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:29:37

That's an option to compile the samba distribution. (so don't worry)
The problem is, i don't know if it only works for the server or for the
server & the clients.

I don't have any links except the well-known ones.

Success

> David,

> Exactly what do you mean --with-krb5=base

> I am new to this. Find with win2k Kerberos implementation, just not the
MIT
> version. I have a very large network and want the unix clients to log on
> using tickets issued by win2K KDC.

> Either way, I installed the MIT 1.2.X version of Kerberos5 on a Linux
> machine in the lab. I only passed the arguments of --enable-shared
> and --enable-dns

> I thought it had support for KRB5. So back to the original question above.
> And what is the base_dir exactly.

> God I fell like an absolute idiot. Oh well. (idiot hat on!). Also, do you
> have any links (etc) to people who have successfully made this work ? Or
any
> other data.

> Thanks,

> --
> Alexander G. Paoli
> VP Technology, Chief Network Architect
> NetConstruct, Inc.

> > --with-krb5=base-directory

> > Include support for Kerberos version 5.0, explicitly specifying the base
> > directory of the distribution. Microsoft has announced that Kerberos 5.0
> > will be the standard authentication mechanism for Microsoft Windows 2000
> (NT
> > 5.0). However, there is no guarantee that Microsoft will not extend
> Kerberos
> > for their own needs in the future. Currently, Samba's Kerberos support
> only
> > uses a plaintext password interface and not an encrypted one. You can
find
> > more information on Kerberos at its home page:
> > http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www.

> > I hope this is not only for the smb server but also for the clients...
> > What do you think?

> > > What client are you going to use to access the file shares?  I have a
> > > feeling you won't be able to do what you want...unless the Samba
client
> > now
> > > has Win2k Kerberos support.  (Maybe it does, and I'm just not aware of
> > > it...)

> > > - Danilo

1. Need: Small DOS editor like DOs's 'edit' program

Hi, I am looking for a very simple, full-screen editor for the DOS
environment.  i want to use it in boot disks.  I like the DOS Edit
program, but it also needs qbasic to run; I would prefer a singl-file full
screen editor, that is very small.  Does such a little beast exist?  I
don't need spell check, etc.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Broadband question

3. Basic Dos to Dos or Windows to Dos software

4. ARG! *STL frustration setting in*

5. Needing TOS to format (was Needing DOS to format)

6. Mac font converter..

7. Help!: QPRO 5.0 for DOS, QPW1.0, QPRO 4.0 for DOS Questions

8. OK, I think I got screwed...

9. MS DOS <> MSX DOS

10. doing evaluation of VT terminal emulators for DOS/Win

11. DOS, MSX DOS, 360K - yep!

12. Reply - When is DOS enough & Plain DOS is the best RTOS for PC

13. File transfers between DOS and DOS-MINIX