ODBC - Retrieving Unicode values on W2K + MSSQL 2000

Post by Tim Vor » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 01:01:14

I had to use the nls_language variable to inform the database that I wanted extended characters.  I used french_france, but there must be a way to use latin1.  You could try use utf8 on your side, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Tim Vorce
Ford Motor Company

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 4:34 PM
To: Perl "Users Help (E-mail)
Subject: DBD:ODBC - Retrieving Unicode values on W2K + MSSQL 2000

Using ActiveState Perl 5.6.1 build 633
The following happens when using either ActiveState's DBI & DBD:ODBC
ppds or the latest ones posted by Jeff Urlwin.

When retrieving ntext, nvarchar et al. values from a MS SQL 2000 server
using DBD::ODBC, extended characters show up as ?????

I'm also unable to get "correct" values through DBD::ADO, Win32::OLE and
Win32::ODBC, even when disabling AutoTranslate in the DSN properties.
The only workaround I have found is by using DBD:JDBC (with a bad hack
for SQL_BIGINT) and MS's JDBC driver.

I've also tried to find hints as to where or what to look for in various
lists and archives, but to no avail.

Is it possible to retrieve / insert Unicode values using DBD::ODBC and
MS SQL 2000 ? If so, what am I missing here ?

--
Olivier Poulet

1. DBD:ODBC - Retrieving Unicode values on W2K + MSSQL 2000

Using ActiveState Perl 5.6.1 build 633
The following happens when using either ActiveState's DBI & DBD:ODBC
ppds or the latest ones posted by Jeff Urlwin.

When retrieving ntext, nvarchar et al. values from a MS SQL 2000 server
using DBD::ODBC, extended characters show up as ?????

I'm also unable to get "correct" values through DBD::ADO, Win32::OLE and
Win32::ODBC, even when disabling AutoTranslate in the DSN properties.
The only workaround I have found is by using DBD:JDBC (with a bad hack
for SQL_BIGINT) and MS's JDBC driver.

I've also tried to find hints as to where or what to look for in various
lists and archives, but to no avail.

Is it possible to retrieve / insert Unicode values using DBD::ODBC and
MS SQL 2000 ? If so, what am I missing here ?

--
Olivier Poulet

2. Base Location entry in "Page Properties", What's it for?

3. Fetching Unicode values with DBD:ODBC on Win2K + MSSQL 2000

4. Lexmark 1100 and Windows XP

5. DBI, MSSQL 2000, and Unicode

6. Recovering password on Cisco policy manager

7. :ODBC and MSSQL 2000 insert problem (bug report)

8. virtuserstable vs. custom rules

9. DBD::ODBC and MSSQL 2000 insert problem (bug report)

10. W2k Proffesional, Project 2000, Outlook 2000

11. extract better performance executing stored procs on MSSQL 2000

12. Memory problem VO25, ODBC, MSSQL 7.5

13. DBD::ODBC, MSSQL, FETCH('NUM_OF_FIELDS') "Describe failed" on CREATE VIEW