bytes in dbi

Post by Tim Vor » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:26:29

Currently, I have inserted a data entry in the database (oracle) that contains an extended character Pr\351nom to be exact.  I tried use utf8 (appears to be for source text), and
use bytes, but still whenever the data is selected from oracle using dbi, I get back Prenom, which is not the same thing...

How do I tell dbi to not convert the data to us ASCII???

Tim Vorce
Ford Motor Company

bytes in dbi

Post by Ken Ga » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:55:29

What character set is the database in?

select value from v$NLS_PARAMETERS where parameter = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET'

what have you set your NLS_LANG environment variable to before your script
runs?

Are you sure the data you are getting back is wrong and not your terminal
emulator displaying it correctly? (I only ask cause I have been caught by
this - TWICE :()

Ken.

Currently, I have inserted a data entry in the database (oracle) that
contains an extended character Pr\351nom to be exact.  I tried use utf8
(appears to be for source text), and
use bytes, but still whenever the data is selected from oracle using dbi, I
get back Prenom, which is not the same thing...

How do I tell dbi to not convert the data to us ASCII???

Tim Vorce
Ford Motor Company

bytes in dbi

Post by Gordon Dew » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:07:17

What character set is your Oracle session using?  Sounds like Oracle is
stripping characters out.  What does a trace reveal?
Currently, I have inserted a data entry in the database (oracle) that
contains an extended character Pr\351nom to be exact.  I tried use utf8
(appears to be for source text), and
use bytes, but still whenever the data is selected from oracle using dbi, I
get back Prenom, which is not the same thing...

How do I tell dbi to not convert the data to us ASCII???

Tim Vorce
Ford Motor Company

1. DBI::Format in DBI-1.34 vs. DBI-Shell-11.91

There seem to be conflicting versions of DBI::Format in
DBI-1.34 and DBI-Shell-11.91.

After upgrading to the recent DBI-1.34 I again get
a warning from the CPAN "r" command which reports that
there is a more recent version of DBI::Format to
be found in DBI-Shell-11.91.tar.

When I read that the new DBI-1.34 removed the
old DBI::Shell from distribution, I was surporised
that it kept DBI::Format.  I couldn't find any
perl references in DBI-1.34 that refered to DBI::Format,
so perhaps if the official DBI::Format is being kept
up to date in DBI-Shell-11.91, you could either remove
it from this package, or add a not describing
where to get the most recent version.

What do you think?

2. Followup: Further clarification on the ODBC.Net Issue

3. Software Demo 100 Bytes down to 7 Bytes Losslessly

4. Cat 1900 OS quesiton

5. Any 100 bytes down to 7 Bytes Losslessly !

6. Turning Off Screen on HP 548

7. Improved ultimate compression 100 bytes to 0 byte

8. Coming Disk images and docs

9. 2 byte vs 4 byte addressing on VME

10. How to compress ANY n-bits/bytes sequence to (n-1)-bit/bytes sequence?

11. Reading Strings byte by byte

12. Bytes seen by Router vs Bytes seen by RMON2

13. msk315: ACK is -xxx bytes before last sent byte