Catalog Queries work great, but STS Searches yield "No Records..."

Catalog Queries work great, but STS Searches yield "No Records..."

Post by Hans Hennings » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 07:19:27

PROBLEM
=======
SharePoint Team Services SEARCHES yield "No records were found
matching your query", but I can query the Catalog from the Index
Server MMC with no problem.

OBJECTIVE
=========
I'd like STS searches to return the same results as my catalog
queries.

BACKGROUND
==========
I recently migrated this site from a test environment where it was
working beautifully to a pre-production environment where STS searches
are failing.

TEST ENVIRONMENT (SUCCESSFUL)
=============================
Win2K, SP2
IIS 5
SharePoint Team Services (Version 5.0.2.2623)
SQL Server 7

  /Microsoft SharePoint Search Proxy
   - IP: 10.1.1.29
   - TCP Port: 8624
   /OWS_VRoot_4
    - Local Path: D:\websites\MYSITE

PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT (FAILING)
================================
Win2K, SP2
IIS 5
SharePoint Team Services (Version 5.0.2.2623)
SQL Server 2000

  /Microsoft SharePoint Search Proxy
   - IP: (All Unassigned)
   - TCP Port: 5907
   /OWS_VRoot_2
    - d:\websites\MYSITE

RESEARCH
========

I've conducted research using the following resources but have not
found topics that address this completely.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.sharepoi...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.sharepoi...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.office.i...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.inetserv...

REQUEST
=======

I'd be grateful for any help, online or interactively, that anyone can
offer. I'll gladly post our results here for others' benefit.

Gratefully,

Hans Henningsen

Catalog Queries work great, but STS Searches yield "No Records..."

Post by Hans Henningse » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 05:00:12

I figured it out. Here's what I learned:

ROOT CAUSE:
==========
The CiScope variable in each sub web was pointing to the wrong virtual
server. This was left over from the migration from ServerA to ServerB.

SOLUTION:
========
I pointed the CiScope variable in each sub web to the correct virtual
server. I did this by opening up the "search.idq" file for each sub web in
Notepad and then updating the incorrect line to point to the correct virtual
server.

EXAMPLE:
=======

In this example I've recently migrated my virtual server, "MyWeb", and all
of its sub webs from ServerA to ServerB. Both servers have: Windows 2000
Server, IIS5, and SharePoint Team Services.

On ServerA the IIS Instance of MyWeb was "LM/W3SVC/2". Now on ServerB, the
new HostServer, MyWeb has to share space with lots of other virtual servers
and its new IIS Instance is "LM/W3SVC/4".

The IIS MMC (Microsoft Managment Console for Internet Information Services)
shows:

Internet Information Services
 /<HostServer>
  /Microsoft SharePoint Search Proxy
   /OWS_VRoot_1
   /OWS_VRoot_2
   /OWS_VRoot_3
   /OWS_VRoot_4

But the CiScope line in the search.idq file for MyWeb and each of its sub
webs reads:

CiScope=/OWS_VRoot_2/%DocLibDir%

The solution then is to change the CiScope line (using NotePad or another
text editor) to:

CiScope=/OWS_VRoot_4/%DocLibDir%

NOTE:
Each sub web's "search.idq" file is located off its own root directory in
the _vti_script folder. Examples:

   D:\websites\myweb\_vti_script\search.idq
   D:\websites\myweb\mySubWeb1\_vti_script\search.idq
   D:\websites\myweb\mySubWeb2\_vti_script\search.idq
   -- etc. --

Good luck!

Hans Henningsen

Catalog Queries work great, but STS Searches yield "No Records..."

Post by Zapf Bole » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 00:51:19

Hans,

A million thank-yous! This has been bugging me for months! I tried your
suggestion and it worked. For other people trying this, its worth pointing
out that they should ignore the search.idq in the _layouts folder: its just
the one in _vti_script that needs checking.

Thanks again, Hans!

Zapf

> I figured it out. Here's what I learned:

> ROOT CAUSE:
> ==========
> The CiScope variable in each sub web was pointing to the wrong virtual
> server. This was left over from the migration from ServerA to ServerB.

> SOLUTION:
> ========
> I pointed the CiScope variable in each sub web to the correct virtual
> server. I did this by opening up the "search.idq" file for each sub web in
> Notepad and then updating the incorrect line to point to the correct
virtual
> server.

> EXAMPLE:
> =======

> In this example I've recently migrated my virtual server, "MyWeb", and all
> of its sub webs from ServerA to ServerB. Both servers have: Windows 2000
> Server, IIS5, and SharePoint Team Services.

> On ServerA the IIS Instance of MyWeb was "LM/W3SVC/2". Now on ServerB, the
> new HostServer, MyWeb has to share space with lots of other virtual
servers
> and its new IIS Instance is "LM/W3SVC/4".

> The IIS MMC (Microsoft Managment Console for Internet Information
Services)
> shows:

> Internet Information Services
>  /<HostServer>
>   /Microsoft SharePoint Search Proxy
>    /OWS_VRoot_1
>    /OWS_VRoot_2
>    /OWS_VRoot_3
>    /OWS_VRoot_4

> But the CiScope line in the search.idq file for MyWeb and each of its sub
> webs reads:

> CiScope=/OWS_VRoot_2/%DocLibDir%

> The solution then is to change the CiScope line (using NotePad or another
> text editor) to:

> CiScope=/OWS_VRoot_4/%DocLibDir%

> NOTE:
> Each sub web's "search.idq" file is located off its own root directory in
> the _vti_script folder. Examples:

>    D:\websites\myweb\_vti_script\search.idq
>    D:\websites\myweb\mySubWeb1\_vti_script\search.idq
>    D:\websites\myweb\mySubWeb2\_vti_script\search.idq
>    -- etc. --

> Good luck!

> Hans Henningsen

1. "There is no catalog" error when using search

Hi,

I am getting a "There is No Catalog" page when I try to
use the search function on my Intranet site. It was
working fine and then all of a sudden this happens.
Unfortunately I am not the person who creates the pages in
FrontPage- it's the Content Editor- so i don't know what
he may of done. Regardless, it's still me who has to fix
it!

I read on the MS site that this could be caused by your
catalog not being named OWS_Search_Proxy-- but mine is, so
it can't be that....

Neile

2. Hostmaster _AND_ root name server?

3. Help, "Search Documents" error: no catalog

4. FDDI under os/2 tcpip 2.0

5. How to configure STS with a "Staging" <-> "Production" environemnt

6. VC++ : Multiple views in one MDI Child frame

7. Problems with special characters like ("?","ΓΌ","?","?",aso.)

8. RiscNet

9. Samba 1.9.17alpha1: Query about "homedir map" and "nis homedir".

10. PC in "All Systems" query, but not in "All Systems" collection!

11. I Cannot "manage computers" - "Net work path not found".

12. Queries using "Subselected Values" don't work?

13. Hiding "Restart" and "Shutdown" on WTS