Link documents between document libraries?

Link documents between document libraries?

Post by Bob's yer unc » Thu, 29 May 2003 07:10:37

Hello everyone, great newsgroup.....I've learned a ton just sifting
through these postings.

One thing I can't find though is something that I think should be
pretty clear (but can't find any references to it).  If I have a
document in library A, can I make a link to it from library B, instead
of uploading it twice?  Is this so obvious I've completely missed it?

Thanks a lot,
Jason

Link documents between document libraries?

Post by Mike Walsh [MVP » Thu, 29 May 2003 13:43:08

You can't make a link to it from Library B (well not normally you could add
a Hyperlink field to your document library but then each *document* would
have space for such a link and it would be relevant to the particular
document only).

But what you would do (if for instance you had a document in one subweb that
you wanted to refer to in another subweb) would be to add a link to the
address of the document in subweb1 to a *Links Library* in subweb2.

But within the same subweb and assuming you really want to have two
diffferent doc libs to contain the same document, then ,Yes, you have to
upload it again.

(It's mostly something you would need if your doc libs were too restricted
in focus - so for instance if you had a document on Exchange and SharePoint
and you had one doc lib for Exchange and one doc lib for SharePoint - and a
solution could be to have a doc lib with a wider scope and then use views to
get the tighter fit - in this case have Category 1 = exchange Category 2 =
sharepoint and a view that says if Category1 or Category2 = sharepoint then
include in this view; with the same for Exchange).

Are these ideas/comments any use to you ?

Mike Walsh
Helsinki
Finland

Quote:> Hello everyone, great newsgroup.....I've learned a ton just sifting
> through these postings.

> One thing I can't find though is something that I think should be
> pretty clear (but can't find any references to it).  If I have a
> document in library A, can I make a link to it from library B, instead
> of uploading it twice?  Is this so obvious I've completely missed it?

> Thanks a lot,
> Jason

Link documents between document libraries?

Post by Bob's yer unc » Fri, 30 May 2003 08:38:48

Excellent idea!  I'll just add a few extra categories in one document
library and have folks filter results that way.  Thanks!

Jason

Link documents between document libraries?

Post by Mike Wals » Fri, 30 May 2003 15:07:30

Glad to help.

Jason, do you think you could make your "From" name when posting here
"Jason" (or Jason XXX)?

Apart from the occasional news.microsoft.com we mostly go by (rough)
approximations of our real names. It somehow seems more pleasant that way.

Mike Walsh

Quote:> Excellent idea!  I'll just add a few extra categories in one document