Document Libraries - Only Allow users to change/edit their documents

Document Libraries - Only Allow users to change/edit their documents

Post by Hitesh Set » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:41:37

Is it possible to make document libraries work like lists, from a security
perspective (only allow users to change/edit their documents?)

Thanks.

Best Regards

Hitesh

Document Libraries - Only Allow users to change/edit their documents

Post by Mark Kruger [MVP » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:59:50

Out of the box...no.  However, a work-around is that you create a filtered
view (filtered to [Me])called My Documents which contains the edit colum.
The allitems.htm would not contain the edit column making it read-only.  The
user would then only be able to edit their own documents.  It's not
picture-perfect because if you knew the URLs well enough, you probably could
figure out how to get to a file.... depends on how much you trust your
users.  This method will work for usability.  The other negative is the
administrative side.  You'd lose the SPTS interface when you try to login as
administrator and make changes.  For deleting files, you be restricted to
using Windows Explorer and deleting the files off the webserver that way.
Just a suggestion....

-Mark

Quote:> Is it possible to make document libraries work like lists, from a security
> perspective (only allow users to change/edit their documents?)

> Thanks.

> Best Regards

> Hitesh

Document Libraries - Only Allow users to change/edit their documents

Post by Dan Mulkiewic » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:00:21

Couldn't this be accomplished with NTFS rights?

<D>

> Out of the box...no.  However, a work-around is that you create a filtered
> view (filtered to [Me])called My Documents which contains the edit colum.
> The allitems.htm would not contain the edit column making it read-only.
The
> user would then only be able to edit their own documents.  It's not
> picture-perfect because if you knew the URLs well enough, you probably
could
> figure out how to get to a file.... depends on how much you trust your
> users.  This method will work for usability.  The other negative is the
> administrative side.  You'd lose the SPTS interface when you try to login
as
> administrator and make changes.  For deleting files, you be restricted to
> using Windows Explorer and deleting the files off the webserver that way.
> Just a suggestion....

> -Mark

> > Is it possible to make document libraries work like lists, from a
security
> > perspective (only allow users to change/edit their documents?)

> > Thanks.

> > Best Regards

> > Hitesh

Document Libraries - Only Allow users to change/edit their documents

Post by Hitesh Set » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:25:58

Thanks Mark for the tip. I thought about that same, but correct me if I am
wrong, even if a user uploads a new document (with the same filename) which
is not in hois "my documents" view, he will still be able to overwrite it,
right? So in that case the My Documents View stuff doesn't really work, does
it? The Edit button really allows the user to change the Title or Filename
and not the content.

Thanks.

Best Regards

Hitesh