monitoring with mrtg, based on ip address

monitoring with mrtg, based on ip address

Post by Shibum » Wed, 14 May 2003 16:40:13



Hello,

Currently i am monitoring the traffic of the router interface  with mrtg.
However I have several customers connected to the same interface of cisco
router, is it possible to use mrtg to monitor the traffic of the customers
seperately, based on the ip addresses given to the interface.

Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

monitoring with mrtg, based on ip address

Post by Mats Karlsso » Wed, 14 May 2003 19:01:45



Quote:> Hello,

> Currently i am monitoring the traffic of the router interface  with mrtg.
> However I have several customers connected to the same interface of cisco
> router, is it possible to use mrtg to monitor the traffic of the customers
> seperately, based on the ip addresses given to the interface.

> Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I haven't seen an MRTG solution but there are some other tracks.

1. Depending on router type and IOS type, you can enable netflow. Netflow is
more complicated than MRTG and demands sertain types of IOS.

2. How is several customers connected to the same interface, can you
meassure the traffic on the interface that the customer connects to ?

/Mats

 
 
 

monitoring with mrtg, based on ip address

Post by Chris Marv » Wed, 14 May 2003 20:50:57


If each customer is on a separate sub-interface, you should be able to get a
pollable instance. If not, then netflow would
probably be the best way,

chris




> > Hello,

> > Currently i am monitoring the traffic of the router interface  with
mrtg.
> > However I have several customers connected to the same interface of
cisco
> > router, is it possible to use mrtg to monitor the traffic of the
customers
> > seperately, based on the ip addresses given to the interface.

> > Thanks in advance.

> Hi,
> I haven't seen an MRTG solution but there are some other tracks.

> 1. Depending on router type and IOS type, you can enable netflow. Netflow
is
> more complicated than MRTG and demands sertain types of IOS.

> 2. How is several customers connected to the same interface, can you
> meassure the traffic on the interface that the customer connects to ?

> /Mats

 
 
 

monitoring with mrtg, based on ip address

Post by Daniel J McDona » Thu, 15 May 2003 05:37:02




>If each customer is on a separate sub-interface, you should be able to get a
>pollable instance.

Not unless you are running really recent versions of code.

Quote:>If not, then netflow would probably be the best way,

Yes, but there are pitfalls trying to do accounting with netflow.

Another option is to assign CAR rules to the upstream interface and
monitor the CISCO-CAR-MIB.  Not for the faint of heart, but then neither
is netflow.

>chris





>> > Currently i am monitoring the traffic of the router interface  with
>mrtg.
>> > However I have several customers connected to the same interface of
>cisco
>> > router, is it possible to use mrtg to monitor the traffic of the
>customers
>> > seperately, based on the ip addresses given to the interface.

--
Daniel J McDonald CCIE # 2495, CNX
Visit my website: http://www.austinnetworkdesign.com
 
 
 

1. How to monitor protocol based traffic using mrtg

I have installed mrtg on a Linux box and I monitor the router.
Although we have a dedicated 64 K line , the bandwidth gets choked.
This I am able to see in the graph.

But that is not enough! If I know what type of protocol ( http, smtp
or ftp or any other) is the culprit, I could take action accordingly.

How do I get such a graph in mrtg?

Thanks in advance

Shakthi

2. WAV Files

3. MRTG IP Traffic for one IP address

4. huge To: list causing delivery timeouts

5. Help: Return different IP address based on source IP

6. error 1111

7. Can MRTG be used to monitor traffic to specific IP's???

8. GP not applying

9. Monitoring IP traffic without MRTG

10. MRTG monitoring IP-Traffic

11. mrtg monitoring multiple ip's

12. Locating switch & port based on IP/MAC address

13. bandwidth limit based on ip address?