Help needed with Graphical Tools

Post by Sou » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:56:30

Hi,

   I am looking for a good graphical tool for developing the GUI for
network management. The min requirements that I am interested are:

 Be able to create embedded, dynamic web content from a provided data
set
 Be able to graph multiple data sets on the same graph
 Support line graphs, bar graphs, etc.
 Support linear scales, logarithmic scales, etc.
 Support multiple colors, fill patterns, etc.
 Support multiple line types (solid, dashed, etc.), preferably in the
same graph.
        I looked at MRTG and the RRDTools. You if know any other good
graphical tools, please help me by suggesting them with their pros and
cons.

Thanks very much,

-Som

Post by Rich Bl » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 23:26:15

> Hi,

>    I am looking for a good graphical tool for developing the GUI for
> network management. The min requirements that I am interested are:

>  Be able to create embedded, dynamic web content from a provided data
> set
>  Be able to graph multiple data sets on the same graph
>  Support line graphs, bar graphs, etc.
>  Support linear scales, logarithmic scales, etc.
>  Support multiple colors, fill patterns, etc.
>  Support multiple line types (solid, dashed, etc.), preferably in the
> same graph.

Som -

    Have you looked at the ntop application (www.ntop.org)? It creates
graphs of network usage by hosts and protocols using the gdchart
application (www.fred.net/brv/chart). It does line graphs, bar graphs,
and pie charts in multicolors (and ntop presents them in a web
interface). Hope this helps out some.

Rich Blum - Author
"C# Network Programming" (Sybex)
http://www.sybex.com/sybexbooks.nsf/Booklist/4176
"Network Performance Open Source Toolkit" (Wiley)
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471433012.html