What is the best NMS ?

Post by Shibum » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:29:08

Hello,

I have been looking for a network management / monitoring software for a
period of time. I tried hp openview and cisco works, since my network is not
a very large one, trying to implement those enterprise software solutions is
wasting my time only.
Almost all my devices are cisco, all i need is to get notified by email or
sms when a node or an interface changes status, or a threshold is reached.
I use mrtg for monitoring the cpu and other components, but i still should
check my mrtg stats every second.
if i could make the alarms to be meaningful in HP OV, it really would be
perfect solution but i dont have a deep knowledge of snmp, besides i dont
want to be a nms admin or deal with mibs or oids all the time.
I ll really appreciate if someone can advice me a suitable and easy to
implement nms.
some  sources of info would be really helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

Shibumi

What is the best NMS ?

Post by Rainer Sokol » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:58:11

Hi,

Quote:>  I use mrtg for monitoring the cpu and other components, but i still should
>  check my mrtg stats every second.

mrtg can call external programs if a certain threshold is
reached/crossed.

In mrtg.cfg I have:
ThreshDir: /usr/local/share/it/mrtg/tmp/

Then:

SetEnv[foo]: MRTG_INT_IP="x.x.x.x" MRTG_INT_DESCR="Serial0/0" MRTG_HOST="foo"
MaxBytes[foo]: 193000
# 90% Bandwith used - send a mail
ThreshMaxI[foo]: 90%
ThreshMaxO[foo]: 90%
ThreshDesc[foo]: Traffic on Cisco SF
ThreshProgI[foo]: /usr/local/share/it/mrtg/bin/mailalert.sh
ThreshProgO[foo]: /usr/local/share/it/mrtg/bin/mailalert.sh
ThreshProgOKI[foo]: /usr/local/share/it/mrtg/bin/mailok.sh
ThreshProgOKO[foo]: /usr/local/share/it/mrtg/bin/mailok.sh

mailalert.sh:
#!/bin/sh

  echo "To: $DEST"
  echo "Importance: high"
  echo "Subject: $THRESH_DESC"
  echo ""
  echo "network load on $MRTG_HOST currently $3 bytes/sec, but should be"
  echo "not mor e than $2 of total bandwith."
  echo "see http://itcentral.net.j.intershop.de/mrtg/$1.html"
  echo ".") |\

mailalok.sh:
#!/bin/sh

  echo "To: $DEST"
  echo "Subject: $THRESH_DESC"
  echo ""
  echo "network load on $MRTG_HOST is good, currently $3 bytes/sec"
  echo "see http://itcentral.net.j.intershop.de/mrtg/$1.html"
  echo ".") |\

BTW: Its all in the docs...

HTH,
Rainer

What is the best NMS ?

Post by P » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:24:01

If you are looking at mid range then have a good look at PI by OSI Software.
It underpins all of our operations - monitoring, nms, billing, capacity
planning, etc.

www.osisoft.com

Quote:> Hello,

> I have been looking for a network management / monitoring software for a
> period of time. I tried hp openview and cisco works, since my network is
not
> a very large one, trying to implement those enterprise software solutions
is
> wasting my time only.
> Almost all my devices are cisco, all i need is to get notified by email or
> sms when a node or an interface changes status, or a threshold is reached.
> I use mrtg for monitoring the cpu and other components, but i still should
> check my mrtg stats every second.
> if i could make the alarms to be meaningful in HP OV, it really would be
> perfect solution but i dont have a deep knowledge of snmp, besides i dont
> want to be a nms admin or deal with mibs or oids all the time.
> I ll really appreciate if someone can advice me a suitable and easy to
> implement nms.
> some  sources of info would be really helpful too.

> Thanks in advance.

> Shibumi

What is the best NMS ?

Post by Stuart » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 01:02:46

> Hello,

> I have been looking for a network management / monitoring software for a
> period of time. I tried hp openview and cisco works, since my network is not
> a very large one, trying to implement those enterprise software solutions is
> wasting my time only.
> Almost all my devices are cisco, all i need is to get notified by email or
> sms when a node or an interface changes status, or a threshold is reached.
> I use mrtg for monitoring the cpu and other components, but i still should
> check my mrtg stats every second.
> if i could make the alarms to be meaningful in HP OV, it really would be
> perfect solution but i dont have a deep knowledge of snmp, besides i dont
> want to be a nms admin or deal with mibs or oids all the time.
> I ll really appreciate if someone can advice me a suitable and easy to
> implement nms.
> some  sources of info would be really helpful too.

> Thanks in advance.

> Shibumi

Try opennms - http://www.opennms.org

What is the best NMS ?

Post by Blair Nowakowsk » Thu, 01 May 2003 01:28:28

Quote:> Hello,

> I have been looking for a network management / monitoring software for
> a period of time. I tried hp openview and cisco works, since my
> network is not a very large one, trying to implement those enterprise
> software solutions is wasting my time only.
> Almost all my devices are cisco, all i need is to get notified by
> email or sms when a node or an interface changes status, or a
> threshold is reached. I use mrtg for monitoring the cpu and other
> components, but i still should check my mrtg stats every second.
> if i could make the alarms to be meaningful in HP OV, it really would
> be perfect solution but i dont have a deep knowledge of snmp, besides
> i dont want to be a nms admin or deal with mibs or oids all the time.
> I ll really appreciate if someone can advice me a suitable and easy to
> implement nms.
> some  sources of info would be really helpful too.

> Thanks in advance.

> Shibumi

I have been trying out NMIS (Network Management Information System).  It
uses RRDTools to collect network traffic information.  It can also
collect syslog and show those through a web browser.  This is more for
monitoring than management.

http://www.sins.com.au/nmis/

Here is some info from their web site.

Introduction

NMIS stands for Network Management Information System.  It is a Network
Management System which performs multiple functions from the OSI Network
Management Functional Areas, those being, Performance, Configuration,
Fault.

It started as a SNMP polling and statistics viewer front-end to Tobi
Oetiker's RRDTool.  RRDTool replaces MRTG but doesn't include a front end
and backend to handle SNMP polling and display resulting web pages etc.
The original NMIS evolved quite rapidly to meet demands of production
environments.  The backend, polling engine, uses SNMP to collect
interface and health statistics for Cisco Routers, certain Cisco Catalyst
Switches and Generic SNMP devices every 5 minutes.

The backend stores the statistics in RRD's (Round Robin Databases) and
ensures that devices are up, issues alerts, etc.  The front end accesses
the information stored in the RRD's and displays statistics the resulting
graphs, reports, etc.

Both the front and back ends are highly extensible and features are easy
to add as the structure is learnt.  For example the backend was just
collecting interface statistics every poll cycle, it was easy to add
collection of health (cpu, memory, buffer, etc) and response time,
availability.

I will continue to spell out more about NMIS but for now, have a look at
the Features and Benefits, Install it and see what it can do.

NMIS is released as GPL software, please ensure that you read the license
as by using this software you are bound by it.

What is the best NMS ?

Post by qq » Wed, 07 May 2003 00:36:16

Hi :

Since all the equipment is Cisco ,  I think the HP openview + Ciscoworks+
Ciscoview is enough .

> [...]

> Switches and Generic SNMP devices every 5 minutes.

> The backend stores the statistics in RRD's (Round Robin Databases) and
> ensures that devices are up, issues alerts, etc.  The front end accesses
> the information stored in the RRD's and displays statistics the resulting
> graphs, reports, etc.

> Both the front and back ends are highly extensible and features are easy
> to add as the structure is learnt.  For example the backend was just
> collecting interface statistics every poll cycle, it was easy to add
> collection of health (cpu, memory, buffer, etc) and response time,
> availability.

> I will continue to spell out more about NMIS but for now, have a look at
> the Features and Benefits, Install it and see what it can do.

> NMIS is released as GPL software, please ensure that you read the license
> as by using this software you are bound by it.

Post by Gary Re » Wed, 07 May 2003 14:35:40

Feel free to try our application - there is a free trial available at
www.conversesoftware.com. It implements very quickly and easily and is
much less expensive than OpenView and others. You will be impressed.

Gary Read
www.conversesoftware.com

> [...]

> > Switches and Generic SNMP devices every 5 minutes.

> > The backend stores the statistics in RRD's (Round Robin Databases) and
> > ensures that devices are up, issues alerts, etc.  The front end accesses
> > the information stored in the RRD's and displays statistics the resulting
> > graphs, reports, etc.

> > Both the front and back ends are highly extensible and features are easy
> > to add as the structure is learnt.  For example the backend was just
> > collecting interface statistics every poll cycle, it was easy to add
> > collection of health (cpu, memory, buffer, etc) and response time,
> > availability.

> > I will continue to spell out more about NMIS but for now, have a look at
> > the Features and Benefits, Install it and see what it can do.

> > NMIS is released as GPL software, please ensure that you read the license
> > as by using this software you are bound by it.

Post by J. Dre » Thu, 08 May 2003 12:44:07

Take a look at What's Up Gold, from www.ipswitch.com
They have a free trial version.

You mentioned that you don't want to get to deep into mibs & oids, that's
part & parcel of a general purpose
NMS system.

P.S. I'm a user of WUG, not a seller of it.

Jay

--
_____________
Start at the beginning, and when you reach the end, Stop.

> Feel free to try our application - there is a free trial available at
> www.conversesoftware.com. It implements very quickly and easily and is
> much less expensive than OpenView and others. You will be impressed.

> Gary Read
> www.conversesoftware.com

> > Hi :

> > Since all the equipment is Cisco ,  I think the HP openview +
Ciscoworks+
> > Ciscoview is enough .

> > > I have been trying out NMIS (Network Management Information System).
It
> > > uses RRDTools to collect network traffic information.  It can also
> > > collect syslog and show those through a web browser.  This is more for
> > > monitoring than management.

> > > http://www.sins.com.au/nmis/

> > > Here is some info from their web site.

> > > Introduction

> > > NMIS stands for Network Management Information System.  It is a
Network
> > > Management System which performs multiple functions from the OSI
Network
> > > Management Functional Areas, those being, Performance, Configuration,
> > > Fault.

> > > It started as a SNMP polling and statistics viewer front-end to Tobi
> > > Oetiker's RRDTool.  RRDTool replaces MRTG but doesn't include a front
end
> > > and backend to handle SNMP polling and display resulting web pages
etc.
> > > The original NMIS evolved quite rapidly to meet demands of production
> > > environments.  The backend, polling engine, uses SNMP to collect
> > > interface and health statistics for Cisco Routers, certain Cisco
Catalyst
> > > Switches and Generic SNMP devices every 5 minutes.

> > > The backend stores the statistics in RRD's (Round Robin Databases) and
> > > ensures that devices are up, issues alerts, etc.  The front end
accesses
> > > the information stored in the RRD's and displays statistics the
resulting
> > > graphs, reports, etc.

> > > Both the front and back ends are highly extensible and features are
easy
> > > to add as the structure is learnt.  For example the backend was just
> > > collecting interface statistics every poll cycle, it was easy to add
> > > collection of health (cpu, memory, buffer, etc) and response time,
> > > availability.

> > > I will continue to spell out more about NMIS but for now, have a look
at
> > > the Features and Benefits, Install it and see what it can do.

> > > NMIS is released as GPL software, please ensure that you read the
license
> > > as by using this software you are bound by it.

What is the best NMS ?

Post by Kevin Vaugh » Sat, 10 May 2003 23:19:31

How much are you willing to spend?  What platform will the NMS run on and
what platforms will you be monitoring?

What's Up Gold definitely rocks!  And the cost is very reasonable.

Other than WUG there's not a lot out there.  We used Castlerock's program
for a while, but just couldn't get it to do the things we needed.  The
interface was too clunky.  We also use MRTG to a very large extent for our
trend graphs.

-Kevin

Quote:> Hello,

> I have been looking for a network management / monitoring software for a
> period of time. I tried hp openview and cisco works, since my network is
not
> a very large one, trying to implement those enterprise software solutions
is
> wasting my time only.
> Almost all my devices are cisco, all i need is to get notified by email or
> sms when a node or an interface changes status, or a threshold is reached.
> I use mrtg for monitoring the cpu and other components, but i still should
> check my mrtg stats every second.
> if i could make the alarms to be meaningful in HP OV, it really would be
> perfect solution but i dont have a deep knowledge of snmp, besides i dont
> want to be a nms admin or deal with mibs or oids all the time.
> I ll really appreciate if someone can advice me a suitable and easy to
> implement nms.
> some  sources of info would be really helpful too.

> Thanks in advance.

> Shibumi

What is the best NMS ?

Post by Oliver Schlosse » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:36:17

Hello

the best I think is ehealth from concord.com it is very easy to configure
and very expensive.
But this rocks !

We are going to by it this year.

regards

Oliver

> [...]

> > ensures that devices are up, issues alerts, etc.  The front end accesses
> > the information stored in the RRD's and displays statistics the
resulting
> > graphs, reports, etc.

> > Both the front and back ends are highly extensible and features are easy
> > to add as the structure is learnt.  For example the backend was just
> > collecting interface statistics every poll cycle, it was easy to add
> > collection of health (cpu, memory, buffer, etc) and response time,
> > availability.

> > I will continue to spell out more about NMIS but for now, have a look at
> > the Features and Benefits, Install it and see what it can do.

> > NMIS is released as GPL software, please ensure that you read the
license
> > as by using this software you are bound by it.

Post by Paul Koc » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:20:55

Most of our customers have turned off their so called "Enterprise
Network Management Platforms" because they are just too expensive
and time consuming to keep going, and have never actually done
much for them accept ping the devices and show a pretty map.
I don't think there is a 'best'. The industry has a long way
to go before any product could be put into that catagory.
Hmm, easy to configure ? that is quite subjective. We see a
lot of customer networks in Aus/NZ/USA, and find most people
are moving to 'point products': smaller, easier to
install/use/maintain, which do their job well, but don't
necessarily integrate.  We rarely get surprised these days when
we see quite large networks being monitored by a box thrashing
its guts out running MRTG with all the other software gathering
dust on the shelf. They typically end up with a combination of
MRTG + vendor device management software (eg. Ciscoworks or
Nortel stuff) + their other favourate point products + Statscout.
Scale is our really big market advantage.

        Paul.

> Hello

> the best I think is ehealth from concord.com it is very easy to configure
> and very expensive.
> But this rocks !

> We are going to by it this year.

> regards

> Oliver

>> Hi :

>> Since all the equipment is Cisco ,  I think the HP openview + Ciscoworks+
>> Ciscoview is enough .

>> > I have been trying out NMIS (Network Management Information System).
>> > It
>> > uses RRDTools to collect network traffic information.  It can also
>> > collect syslog and show those through a web browser.  This is more for
>> > monitoring than management.

>> > http://www.sins.com.au/nmis/

>> > Here is some info from their web site.

>> > Introduction

>> > NMIS stands for Network Management Information System.  It is a Network
>> > Management System which performs multiple functions from the OSI
>> > Network Management Functional Areas, those being, Performance,
>> > Configuration, Fault.

>> > It started as a SNMP polling and statistics viewer front-end to Tobi
>> > Oetiker's RRDTool.  RRDTool replaces MRTG but doesn't include a front
> end
>> > and backend to handle SNMP polling and display resulting web pages etc.
>> > The original NMIS evolved quite rapidly to meet demands of production
>> > environments.  The backend, polling engine, uses SNMP to collect
>> > interface and health statistics for Cisco Routers, certain Cisco
> Catalyst
>> > Switches and Generic SNMP devices every 5 minutes.

>> > The backend stores the statistics in RRD's (Round Robin Databases) and
>> > ensures that devices are up, issues alerts, etc.  The front end
>> > accesses the information stored in the RRD's and displays statistics
>> > the
> resulting
>> > graphs, reports, etc.

>> > Both the front and back ends are highly extensible and features are
>> > easy
>> > to add as the structure is learnt.  For example the backend was just
>> > collecting interface statistics every poll cycle, it was easy to add
>> > collection of health (cpu, memory, buffer, etc) and response time,
>> > availability.

>> > I will continue to spell out more about NMIS but for now, have a look
>> > at the Features and Benefits, Install it and see what it can do.

>> > NMIS is released as GPL software, please ensure that you read the
> license
>> > as by using this software you are bound by it.

What is the best NMS ?

Post by wineguy.. » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:22:42

SNMPC

www.castlerock.com

SNMPC is a good NMS for getting traps, and monitoring. It recognizes
almost all
cisco equipment and you can compile the mibs into the product. It is
better raw snmp gets and traps than WhatsUP Gold is.

> Most of our customers have turned off their so called "Enterprise
> Network Management Platforms" because they are just too expensive
> and time consuming to keep going, and have never actually done
> much for them accept ping the devices and show a pretty map.
> I don't think there is a 'best'. The industry has a long way
> to go before any product could be put into that catagory.
> Hmm, easy to configure ? that is quite subjective. We see a
> lot of customer networks in Aus/NZ/USA, and find most people
> are moving to 'point products': smaller, easier to
> install/use/maintain, which do their job well, but don't
> necessarily integrate.  We rarely get surprised these days when
> we see quite large networks being monitored by a box thrashing
> its guts out running MRTG with all the other software gathering
> dust on the shelf. They typically end up with a combination of
> MRTG + vendor device management software (eg. Ciscoworks or
> Nortel stuff) + their other favourate point products + Statscout.
> Scale is our really big market advantage.

What is the best NMS ?

Post by JD » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:16:08

In what way is SNMPC better at doing SNMP gets and receiving traps than
What's Up Gold?

J. Drew

> SNMPC

> www.castlerock.com

> SNMPC is a good NMS for getting traps, and monitoring. It recognizes
> almost all
> cisco equipment and you can compile the mibs into the product. It is
> better raw snmp gets and traps than WhatsUP Gold is.

Quote:> > Most of our customers have turned off their so called "Enterprise

Post by wineguy.. » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 03:23:48

> In what way is SNMPC better at doing SNMP gets and receiving traps than
> What's Up Gold?

> J. Drew

The autodiscover of devices via SNMP with SNMPC version 5 and 6 beats
WUPG everytime in my results. It can find almost every cisco router
out there without having to add the mibs.

I have had it find CatOS based cisco switches, and IOS based cisco
switches. it was great in getting snmp info from Sun equipment also.
It is easy to add or remove mibs to it.

I am not indicating it can be as useful as MRTG in charting bandwidth
and such, but for getting traps for up/down, or other useful trap info
the SNMPC is great. With WUPG you have to manually walk the mib and
put the mib info into the product.

Download a copy and find out yourself. SNMPC has a 30 day fully
functional eval copy.

1. What is the Best NMS for Telecom?

Hello.  I work for a CLEC which has the folowing types of Network
Elements:

SONET ADMs (Fujitsu, Positron & Lucent)
SONET DACs (Alcatel & Lucent)
Lucent Class 5 switches
Newbridge ATM switches
Cisco Routers

We offer voice, data (Frame rely, raw ATM)
Various voice services
Access to other LD carries

My question is what is the best Network Management System (Manager of
MAnagers) out there?  I know HP OV OEMF, OSI NEtExpert, Lucent's array
of Mgmt products, but what would be the best to manage all these
equipment types?  Presently, we are upgrading to Lucent's connectvu
for the switch config. We use Newbridge's 46020 for the ATM,
Ciscsworks for the cisco's and OSI NexExpert for all teh transport
gear.  I am trying to do a comprehensive analysis to determine the
following:

1.) What is considered the best in the telecom industry
2.) What all is available
3.) What functionality does each platform offer.

Where can I go to get additional inofrmation.  I tried all the big
vendor's web pages, but most stuff is marketing hype.  I am looking for
a NMS which will offer Fault, Configuration and Performance Management
in one pacakge ... that is, if one exists.

Please help!

Any advice/comments will be appreciated.

Mike

2. How are these emulators made?

3. I want visio2k toolbar icons like in visio5

4. What is the best NMS for Telecom?

5. Function driver for two separate devices

6. Am I hacked? Am I at least safe?

7. Resources

8. I am a dumbass (No, I am)

9. AS5300 config questions: best settings, IOS, tweaks, best performance

10. Best controller? Best Server?

11. A question for the best of the best