Ip address table from pix via SNMP

Post by Tom Pouc » Thu, 08 May 2003 23:01:01

Hi,

I try to get the IP adress table of a PIX by SNMP (via Tivoli Netview)

I received following error when i try to get the IP address Table

Get IP address table:
Agent in distress: spinning in ipAddrTable: request Abborted!

Any sugestions, solutions?

Post by Walter Robers » Fri, 09 May 2003 02:18:20

:I try to get the IP adress table of a PIX by SNMP (via Tivoli Netview)

:I received following error when i try to get the IP address Table

:Agent in distress: spinning in ipAddrTable: request Abborted!

Ah, I guessed right about the cause! ;-)

On the PIX, ip.ipAddrTable entries are NOT returned in
strictly increasing order when you snmpwalk . The ucsd-snmp
program 'snmpwalk' offers the following option for this circumstance:

       -Cc    Don't Check whether the returned OID's are increas-
              ing.    Some  agents  (LaserJets  are  an  example)
              returns OID's out of order, but  can  complete  the
              walk  anyway.   Other  agent's return OIDs that are
              out  of  order  and  can  cause  snmpwalk  to  loop
              infinitely  until  stopped.   By  default, snmpwalk
              tries to detect this behavior and warns you when it
              hits  an  agent  acting illegally.  Use -Cc to turn
              off this behavior.

I have no idea whether Tivoli offers any way to deal with it.

PIX -is- able to complete the snmpwalk.

Note, though, that the PIX ipAddrTable *only* has information
about the IP addresses of the PIX interfaces:

  ipAdEntAddr
  ipAdEntIfIndex
  ipAdEntNetMask
  ipAdEntBcastAddr
  ipAdEntReasmMaxSize

In particular, at least up to 6.2(2), PIX does not offer any
SNMP information about it's arp tables -- no ip.ipNetToMediaTable
(.1.3.6.1.2.1.4.22.1.2)

--
Positrons can be described as electrons traveling backwards in time.
Certainly many Usenet arguments about the past become clearer when they

1. Ip address table from pix via SNMP

Hi,

I try to get the IP adress table of a PIX by SNMP (via Tivoli Netview)

I received following error when i try to get the IP address Table

Get IP address table:
Agent in distress: spinning in ipAddrTable: request Abborted!

Any sugestions, solutions?

2. HELP with ARJ Please...

3. Cisco reporting non-existance IP address via SNMP

4. convergence of clusters, grids, p2p; how they differ ?

5. IP address migration via dual Eth0 IP address

6. Anyone found a use for LNM$SYSCLUSTER?

7. Reading CAM table via SNMP

8. Application_Start in Global.asax doesn't run when webservice is consumed

9. Routing and QoS Table updates via SNMP?

10. CAM table via SNMP

11. CAM Table via SNMP ... (fwd)

12. CAM Table via SNMP ...

13. CAM table from Cisco switches via SNMP (ipNetToMediaTable).