OpenView Network Node Manager and Cisco Unnumbered IP

OpenView Network Node Manager and Cisco Unnumbered IP

Post by DARRELL EPP » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

We are using OpenView Network Node Manager 4.1 to monitor and manage our
Cisco Router based WAN environment.  In order to recover IP subnets, we
have recently started reconfiguring serial WAN links between routers for
unnumbered IP.  The result is that the router serial interfaces that no
longer have an IP address are disappearing from our OpenView map.  We can
still access the routers and OpenView still discovers, maps, and manages
the interfaces that have IP addresses, but the serial interfaces that are
unnumbered are gone!

I am sure we are not the first company in the world to try this approach,
so I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to make OpenView NNM
work with unnumbered IP?  HP's official response is that NNM is an IP
management tool, and if you don't have an IP address, you don't get
discovered or managed.  Their stance is that they do not support unnumbered
IP.

Any suggestions???
--

Post by Michael Slavitc » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I am sure we are not the first company in the world to try this approach,
> so I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to make OpenView NNM
> work with unnumbered IP?  HP's official response is that NNM is an IP
> management tool, and if you don't have an IP address, you don't get
> discovered or managed.  Their stance is that they do not support unnumbered
> IP.

Well, duh.

Unumbered ip is stupid and a disaster for maintenance, and very good for
Cisco's pocket since you need Ciscoview to manage it.