MRTG Win2k Monitoring RAM Memory

MRTG Win2k Monitoring RAM Memory

Post by Sandro Semina » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:19:59



I am running MRTG on a UNIX server and have successfuly found the OID
to monitor CPU, but I nned to monitor RAM / Memory.  What is the OID I
need to look for.  Has anyone done this successfully.  I found the OID
need for Windows 2003, but doesn't seem to be accurate. If someone has
an example .cfg file of it that would be even better.

Thank You

Remove <space>s

 
 
 

MRTG Win2k Monitoring RAM Memory

Post by Kevin Vaugh » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:10:13


The best way to monitor a Windows box is to use WMI.  Microsoft doesn't
support SNMP too well regarding performance statistics.  The only
disadvantage to WMI is that you must run Windows on your monitoring box.

If you're stuck on SNMP or you can't get away from UNIX, you could check out
www.snmp4tpc.com.  Mr. Williams has done a lot of interesting work in the
way of extending the Windows SNMP agent.  The disadvantage is that Windows
often doesn't play well with the extension (at least in my experience), and
you have to mess with installing the extension on every box you want to
monitor.  In addition, some of the counters are broken.

If you're interested in WMI I would be happy to share some scripts with you.
I use WMI for about half of the items I monitor on my Windows machines.

-Kevin


> I am running MRTG on a UNIX server and have successfuly found the OID
> to monitor CPU, but I nned to monitor RAM / Memory.  What is the OID I
> need to look for.  Has anyone done this successfully.  I found the OID
> need for Windows 2003, but doesn't seem to be accurate. If someone has
> an example .cfg file of it that would be even better.

> Thank You

> Remove <space>s



 
 
 

MRTG Win2k Monitoring RAM Memory

Post by John Husto » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:43:22


What is WMI?


> The best way to monitor a Windows box is to use WMI.  Microsoft doesn't
> support SNMP too well regarding performance statistics.  The only
> disadvantage to WMI is that you must run Windows on your monitoring box.

> If you're stuck on SNMP or you can't get away from UNIX, you could check out
> www.snmp4tpc.com.  Mr. Williams has done a lot of interesting work in the
> way of extending the Windows SNMP agent.  The disadvantage is that Windows
> often doesn't play well with the extension (at least in my experience), and
> you have to mess with installing the extension on every box you want to
> monitor.  In addition, some of the counters are broken.

> If you're interested in WMI I would be happy to share some scripts with you.
> I use WMI for about half of the items I monitor on my Windows machines.

> -Kevin



> > I am running MRTG on a UNIX server and have successfuly found the OID
> > to monitor CPU, but I nned to monitor RAM / Memory.  What is the OID I
> > need to look for.  Has anyone done this successfully.  I found the OID
> > need for Windows 2003, but doesn't seem to be accurate. If someone has
> > an example .cfg file of it that would be even better.

> > Thank You

> > Remove <space>s


 
 
 

MRTG Win2k Monitoring RAM Memory

Post by Kevin Vaugh » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:01:45


Windows Management Instrumentation.  It's like SNMP or DMI, only WMI is
specific to Windows.  I'm extensively using WMI with MRTG and I haven't
found any real limitations yet.  WMI not only allows you to monitor system
information, but it also allows you to reboot machines, change tcp/ip
configs, etc.  I've found that SNMP is perfect for monitoring non-Windows
devices while WMI is perfect for monitoring Windows devices.

Check out this page for a WMI example using Perl:

http://www.winscriptingsolutions.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=198...

Or, check out the docs on Microsoft's site for in depth information.

-Kevin


> What is WMI?



> > The best way to monitor a Windows box is to use WMI.  Microsoft doesn't
> > support SNMP too well regarding performance statistics.  The only
> > disadvantage to WMI is that you must run Windows on your monitoring box.

> > If you're stuck on SNMP or you can't get away from UNIX, you could check
out
> > www.snmp4tpc.com.  Mr. Williams has done a lot of interesting work in
the
> > way of extending the Windows SNMP agent.  The disadvantage is that
Windows
> > often doesn't play well with the extension (at least in my experience),
and
> > you have to mess with installing the extension on every box you want to
> > monitor.  In addition, some of the counters are broken.

> > If you're interested in WMI I would be happy to share some scripts with
you.
> > I use WMI for about half of the items I monitor on my Windows machines.

> > -Kevin



> > > I am running MRTG on a UNIX server and have successfuly found the OID
> > > to monitor CPU, but I nned to monitor RAM / Memory.  What is the OID I
> > > need to look for.  Has anyone done this successfully.  I found the OID
> > > need for Windows 2003, but doesn't seem to be accurate. If someone has
> > > an example .cfg file of it that would be even better.

> > > Thank You

> > > Remove <space>s


 
 
 

MRTG Win2k Monitoring RAM Memory

Post by Stuart » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:04:33



> I am running MRTG on a UNIX server and have successfuly found the OID
> to monitor CPU, but I nned to monitor RAM / Memory.  What is the OID I
> need to look for.  Has anyone done this successfully.  I found the OID
> need for Windows 2003, but doesn't seem to be accurate. If someone has
> an example .cfg file of it that would be even better.

> Thank You

> Remove <space>s


from http://snmpboy.msft.net > mrtg snmp monitoring for win2k +++

### Global Config Options

WorkDir: d:/inetpub/wwwroot/mrtg

### Global Defaults

######################################################################
# System: snmpboy.msft.net
# Description:Windows Version 5.2 (Build 3765 Uniprocessor Free)
# Contact:
# Location:
######################################################################

#
# Interface Traffic
#

WithPeak[localhost.65539]: ymw
XSize[localhost.65539]: 300
Options[localhost.65539]: growright,bits

SetEnv[localhost.65539]: MRTG_INT_IP="157.55.12.215" MRTG_INT_DESCR="3Com EtherLink (3C905C-TX)"
MaxBytes[localhost.65539]: 12500000
Title[localhost.65539]: Traffic Analysis for corpnet -- snmpboy.msft.net
PageTop[localhost.65539]: <H1>Traffic Analysis for corpnet -- snmpboy.msft.net</H1>
 <TABLE>
        <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>snmpboy.msft.net in Redmond</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD>Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LOM with Alert on LAN*  </TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>ifType:</TD>     <TD>ethernetCsmacd (6)</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>ifName:</TD>     <TD></TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>  <TD>12.5 MBytes/s</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Ip:</TD>         <TD>131.107.171.9 (snmpboy.msft.net)</TD></TR>
 </TABLE>

#
# Interface Packets
#

YLegend[localhost.packets]: Packets/m
WithPeak[localhost.packets]: ymw
XSize[localhost.packets]: 300
Options[localhost.packets]: growright

SetEnv[localhost.packets]: MRTG_INT_IP="157.55.12.215" MRTG_INT_DESCR="3Com EtherLink (3C905C-TX)"
MaxBytes[localhost.packets]: 12500000
Title[localhost.packets]: Packet Analysis for corpnet -- snmpboy.msft.net
PageTop[localhost.packets]: <H1>Packet Analysis for corpnet -- snmpboy.msft.net</H1>
 <TABLE>
        <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>snmpboy.msft.net in Redmond</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD>Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LOM with Alert on LAN*  </TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>ifType:</TD>     <TD>ethernetCsmacd (6)</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>ifName:</TD>     <TD></TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>  <TD>12.5 MBytes/s</TD></TR>
   <TR><TD>Ip:</TD>         <TD>131.107.171.9 (snmpboy.msft.net)</TD></TR>
 </TABLE>

#
# NT Processor Utilization
#

YLegend[localhost.processorLoad]: % Utilization
WithPeak[localhost.processorLoad]: ymw
XSize[localhost.processorLoad]: 300
Options[localhost.processorLoad]: growright,gauge

MaxBytes[localhost.processorLoad]: 523444000
Title[localhost.processorLoad]: snmpboy.msft.net: NT Processor Load
ShortLegend[localhost.processorLoad]: %
Legend1[localhost.processorLoad]: Proc Load in next minute
Legend2[localhost.processorLoad]: Proc Load in next minute
Legend3[localhost.processorLoad]: Maximal 5 Minute Proc Load
Legend4[localhost.processorLoad]: Maximal 5 Minute Proc Load
LegendI[localhost.processorLoad]: &nbsp;Load:
LegendO[localhost.processorLoad]: &nbsp;Load:
PageTop[localhost.processorLoad]: <H1>Processor Utilization</H1>
        <TABLE>
                <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>snmpboy.msft.net in Redmond</TD></TR>
                <TR><TD>Processor Load MIB:</TD><TD>.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2.1</TD></TR>
        </TABLE>

#
# Disk Utilization
#

YLegend[localhost.storageUsed-C]: % Disk Used
WithPeak[localhost.storageUsed-C]: ymw
XSize[localhost.storageUsed-C]: 300
Options[localhost.storageUsed-C]: growright,gauge

MaxBytes[localhost.storageUsed-C]: 523444000
Title[localhost.storageUsed-C]: snmpboy.msft.net: Disk Used
ShortLegend[localhost.storageUsed-C]: %
Legend1[localho

 
 
 

MRTG Win2k Monitoring RAM Memory

Post by Kevin Vaugh » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:11:01


Microsoft's SNMP agent is broken.  It doesn't return the correct values for
some MIBII OIDs such as logical disk space.  I'm not sure if the problem has
been corrected in XP, but to try to monitor anything <Win2k using MIBII is a
lost cause.

Trust me, I tried for a VERY long time to get this to work.  It's either the
extension at snmp4tpc.com or something else such as WMI.

-Kevin



> > I am running MRTG on a UNIX server and have successfuly found the OID
> > to monitor CPU, but I nned to monitor RAM / Memory.  What is the OID I
> > need to look for.  Has anyone done this successfully.  I found the OID
> > need for Windows 2003, but doesn't seem to be accurate. If someone has
> > an example .cfg file of it that would be even better.

> > Thank You

> > Remove <space>s

> from http://snmpboy.msft.net > mrtg snmp monitoring for win2k +++

> ### Global Config Options

> WorkDir: d:/inetpub/wwwroot/mrtg

> ### Global Defaults

> ######################################################################
> # System: snmpboy.msft.net
> # Description:Windows Version 5.2 (Build 3765 Uniprocessor Free)
> # Contact:
> # Location:
> ######################################################################

> #
> # Interface Traffic
> #

> WithPeak[localhost.65539]: ymw
> XSize[localhost.65539]: 300
> Options[localhost.65539]: growright,bits

> SetEnv[localhost.65539]: MRTG_INT_IP="157.55.12.215" MRTG_INT_DESCR="3Com

EtherLink (3C905C-TX)"
Quote:> MaxBytes[localhost.65539]: 12500000
> Title[localhost.65539]: Traffic Analysis for corpnet -- snmpboy.msft.net
> PageTop[localhost.65539]: <H1>Traffic Analysis for corpnet --

snmpboy.msft.net</H1>
Quote:>  <TABLE>
> <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>snmpboy.msft.net in Redmond</TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD>Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LOM with

Alert on LAN*  </TD></TR>
Quote:>    <TR><TD>ifType:</TD>     <TD>ethernetCsmacd (6)</TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>ifName:</TD>     <TD></TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>  <TD>12.5 MBytes/s</TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>Ip:</TD>         <TD>131.107.171.9 (snmpboy.msft.net)</TD></TR>
>  </TABLE>

> #
> # Interface Packets
> #

> YLegend[localhost.packets]: Packets/m
> WithPeak[localhost.packets]: ymw
> XSize[localhost.packets]: 300
> Options[localhost.packets]: growright
> Target[localhost.packets]:


60
Quote:> SetEnv[localhost.packets]: MRTG_INT_IP="157.55.12.215"

MRTG_INT_DESCR="3Com EtherLink (3C905C-TX)"
Quote:> MaxBytes[localhost.packets]: 12500000
> Title[localhost.packets]: Packet Analysis for corpnet -- snmpboy.msft.net
> PageTop[localhost.packets]: <H1>Packet Analysis for corpnet --

snmpboy.msft.net</H1>
Quote:>  <TABLE>
> <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>snmpboy.msft.net in Redmond</TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD>Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LOM with

Alert on LAN*  </TD></TR>
Quote:>    <TR><TD>ifType:</TD>     <TD>ethernetCsmacd (6)</TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>ifName:</TD>     <TD></TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>  <TD>12.5 MBytes/s</TD></TR>
>    <TR><TD>Ip:</TD>         <TD>131.107.171.9 (snmpboy.msft.net)</TD></TR>
>  </TABLE>

> #
> # NT Processor Utilization
> #

> YLegend[localhost.processorLoad]: % Utilization
> WithPeak[localhost.processorLoad]: ymw
> XSize[localhost.processorLoad]: 300
> Options[localhost.processorLoad]: growright,gauge
> Target[localhost.processorLoad]:


- Show quoted text -

Quote:> MaxBytes[localhost.processorLoad]: 523444000
> Title[localhost.processorLoad]: snmpboy.msft.net: NT Processor Load
> ShortLegend[localhost.processorLoad]: %
> Legend1[localhost.processorLoad]: Proc Load in next minute
> Legend2[localhost.processorLoad]: Proc Load in next minute
> Legend3[localhost.processorLoad]: Maximal 5 Minute Proc Load
> Legend4[localhost.processorLoad]: Maximal 5 Minute Proc Load
> LegendI[localhost.processorLoad]: &nbsp;Load:
> LegendO[localhost.processorLoad]: &nbsp;Load:
> PageTop[localhost.processorLoad]: <H1>Processor Utilization</H1>
> <TABLE>
> <TR><TD>System:</TD><TD>snmpboy.msft.net in Redmond</TD></TR>
> <TR><TD>Processor Load MIB:</TD><TD>.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2.1</TD></TR>
> </TABLE>

> #
> # Disk Utilization
> #

> YLegend[localhost.storageUsed-C]: % Disk Used
> WithPeak[localhost.storageUsed-C]: ymw
> XSize[localhost.storageUsed-C]: 300
> Options[localhost.storageUsed-C]: growright,gauge
> Target[localhost.storageUsed-C]:



- Show quoted text -

Quote:> MaxBytes[localhost.storageUsed-C]: 523444000
> Title[localhost.storageUsed-C]: snmpboy.msft.net: Disk Used
> ShortLegend[localhost.storageUsed-C]: %
> Legend1[localho