MRTG-graph of week/month/year from some interfaces show zero

MRTG-graph of week/month/year from some interfaces show zero

Post by Niklaus Hu » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm monitoring the network-interfaces of several linux-boxes. But there are
some interfaces where only the "day-graph" is correct - week/month/year read
zero.
Other interfaces on the same machine show correct values. There are no
differences between these targets in the cfg-file.
I've already deleted all png-files.

example:
http://212.243.26.205/boenigen.2.html

thanx for your help.

Nik

--
NTS NETCONSULTING GMBH

http://www.nts.ch
DIRECT 076 377 00 82
FAX 033 821 11 04

MRTG-graph of week/month/year from some interfaces show zero

Post by David Rya » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

The weekly, monthly and yearly graphs are drawn to a different scalse
than the daily one.

You can see that the each of the graphs do include maximum, minimum and
current figures which are non-zero.  The reason you can't see them is
that on the scale at which the graphs are drawn the lines appear to be
flat.

I can't remember the config option, but there is soe setting which you
can use to make the graphs more readable.  I suggest comparing the
settings for the daily one with the weekly one and modifying the weekly
as necessary.

David

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>I'm monitoring the network-interfaces of several linux-boxes. But there are
>some interfaces where only the "day-graph" is correct - week/month/year read
>zero.
>Other interfaces on the same machine show correct values. There are no
>differences between these targets in the cfg-file.
>I've already deleted all png-files.

>example:
>http://212.243.26.205/boenigen.2.html

Well, you left your mrtg.cfg file at:
        http://212.243.26.205/mrtg.cfg
so I thought it might be worth a look.

I suggest:
1.  You're using 2.8.8.  Upgrade to 2.8.12.  Do not use 2.9.0preXX
unless you need some of the new features.
2.  Clean up your mrtg.cfg file.  Get rid of all the exess junk left
from the example.  Reduce it to just the things needed for monitoring.
The mrtg Perl script needs to read all that junk every time it cycles
and may be suffering from indigestion.
3.  This is wrong:
        Unscaled[^]: wmy
        WithPeak[^]: wmy
This means to "prepend" the *TEXT* values, which makes no sense.  My
guess is this is what's broken.  Replace with:
        Unscaled[nts]: wmy
        WithPeak[nts]: wmy

Basically, your mrtg.cfg file is a mess and needs hand editing.
4.  Hide your mrtg.cfg file where hackers like me can't find them.

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(831)421-6491 pgr (831)426-1240 fax (831)336-2558 home

MRTG-graph of week/month/year from some interfaces show zero

Post by Niklaus Hu » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 08:10:46

Thanx Jeff !

now I did my homework! :-)

greetz

Nik

> >I'm monitoring the network-interfaces of several linux-boxes. But there
are
> >some interfaces where only the "day-graph" is correct - week/month/year
read
> >zero.
> >Other interfaces on the same machine show correct values. There are no
> >differences between these targets in the cfg-file.
> >I've already deleted all png-files.

> >example:
> >http://212.243.26.205/boenigen.2.html

> Well, you left your mrtg.cfg file at:
> http://212.243.26.205/mrtg.cfg
> so I thought it might be worth a look.

> I suggest:
> 1.  You're using 2.8.8.  Upgrade to 2.8.12.  Do not use 2.9.0preXX
> unless you need some of the new features.
> 2.  Clean up your mrtg.cfg file.  Get rid of all the exess junk left
> from the example.  Reduce it to just the things needed for monitoring.
> The mrtg Perl script needs to read all that junk every time it cycles
> and may be suffering from indigestion.
> 3.  This is wrong:
> Unscaled[^]: wmy
> WithPeak[^]: wmy
> This means to "prepend" the *TEXT* values, which makes no sense.  My
> guess is this is what's broken.  Replace with:
> Unscaled[nts]: wmy
> WithPeak[nts]: wmy

> Basically, your mrtg.cfg file is a mess and needs hand editing.
> 4.  Hide your mrtg.cfg file where hackers like me can't find them.

> --
> Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
> (831)421-6491 pgr (831)426-1240 fax (831)336-2558 home
> http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl   WB6SSY

1. week month year graph not upgrade

Hello there:
I've just installed MRTG to monitor my network.
Everything is correct but I've a little problem.

I run MRTG as daemon with an interval of 5
minutes, the day graph of every interface is
updated OK every five minutes but week, month and
year graphs are not. Only if I restart the daemon
are updated.

Do you know if it's a configutation problem or
it's a know problem?

Thank you.

Luis.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Formating text?

3. MRTG graph reporting different throughput than output of "show interface" command on Cisco router!

4. Warning if you bought from Nordic Globalw recently.

5. mrtg only shows 'daily graph'

6. bincancel:23 large binaries:AR525:@@NCM

7. MRTG not showing proper graphs

8. First web based email

9. MRTG percentage graphing and total bandwidth utilization graphing

10. setting up MRTG to graph specific interfaces/ports only.

11. PVC - how to show interface bps vs MRTG snmp bps

12. MRTG: Help getting data from Show Interface

13. MRTG 2.8.12 shows Ethernet Interface flatlining at T1 speeds