MRTG GUI

Post by Don Quixot » Fri, 09 May 2003 08:12:25

G'day,
I have been searching for some GUI interface that would allow me to easily
create and maintain CFG files. Something that would run on Windows.
Did not find anything, so I decided to write something up myself. What I
have done so far does indeed help me out for the standard In/Out traffic
graphs.

I thought I would share my efforts and ask for comments. If there is
interest I will provide the Visual Basic source code.

You can find a little doc and the program here :
http://www.claridion.com/downloads/MRTGgui.htm

Let me know what you think.

Sal

_____________________________________

MRTG GUI

Post by Don Quixot » Sat, 10 May 2003 12:01:04

Actually Vijay, I love it when I get this kind of feed-back. Keep them
coming.

My responses are in your message

presented all the interfaces

Quote:> with SNMP information.

Thanks

Quote:>There were a few confusing things in the program. The Menu items bring up

pop-up windows, which is

Quote:>passe, by today's programming
>standards. Any chance you could have TABS in the main window, saying for

instance "SNMP info",

Quote:> "Settings", "Edit".

I agree. Remember, this started a couple of weeks ago for my own usage. But
I believe I should re-think the design before it gets too big.

Quote:

>The "Load File" function doesn't seem to do anything - is it supposed to

load stuff into the edit

Quote:>window ?

Yes, it does, but only if you have previously saved a file. The first time
around you need to add if counters to the list and save it, especially if
you plan to keep working on the same group of items.

Quote:>After loading a file, clicking EDIT -> Edit gives a message box "Run Time

error '91': Object variable

Quote:> or with block variable not set" , then it crashes.

Sorry, that was happening when you'd try to edit an empty file. It's been
fixed. You can download it again (the whole installer or just the
executable. http://www.claridion.com/downloads/MRTGgui.htm

Quote:>Shouldn't the "GO" button be labelled "Get/Refresh if Counters" - since

that is what it seems to do ?

Done. Again, the look and Feel may change soon.

Quote:>It would be nice to e able to filter out the Interface counter list, for

example, right-click a cell,

Quote:> it should give the option to filter based on "Include this value", or

"Exclude this value", along

Quote:>with options to clear the filter, replace, or add to it.

Not sure I understand the request, and why would it be needed.

Quote:>The refresh and Polling interval should have default values.

They do now. I will put a check for a situation where it has been deleted,
and also to make sure that the working directory has been set.

Quote:>Should not have to select "Load File", in order to create a new one.

You don't. When you get the if Counters from a device, right-clicking on an
interface and "adding to List" a new file will be started. You have to save
it though if you want to continue on it the next time.

Quote:>Creating the file should add interfaces - All I get is 3 global options in

the created file.

You should have some interfaces in the list, first.

Quote:>No integration for "routers.cgi" by Steve shipway.

(http://www.cheshire.demon.co.uk/pub/ )

I'll try to have a look at it. I've never used it. You think it is worth the
effort ?

Quote:>Sorry if this sounds critical - but you asked for feedback, and this looks

like a promising tool

Quote:>I'd love to see improved, so I'm taking the trouble to write.

Your comments have been very constructive, and I thank you for them. I
realize that this utility is still a little confusing to use it, as I
explained it was for my own use. It seems though that a few people are
finding it interesting, so with your input I'll clean it up.

Don't be shy to let me know your thoughts.

It is still my intention to put it in the Open Source domain, as soon I
understand all the that is involved

Quote:>Cheers
>-Vijay

Regards

Sal

MRTG GUI

Post by Mats Karlsso » Sat, 10 May 2003 20:01:54

> G'day,
> I have been searching for some GUI interface that would allow me to easily
> create and maintain CFG files. Something that would run on Windows.
> Did not find anything, so I decided to write something up myself. What I
> have done so far does indeed help me out for the standard In/Out traffic
> graphs.

> I thought I would share my efforts and ask for comments. If there is
> interest I will provide the Visual Basic source code.

> You can find a little doc and the program here :
> http://www.claridion.com/downloads/MRTGgui.htm

> Let me know what you think.

> Sal

> _____________________________________

This was an refreshment !

Keep up the good work.

/Mats

MRTG GUI

Post by Mats Karlsso » Sun, 11 May 2003 01:35:31

> G'day,
> I have been searching for some GUI interface that would allow me to easily
> create and maintain CFG files. Something that would run on Windows.
> Did not find anything, so I decided to write something up myself. What I
> have done so far does indeed help me out for the standard In/Out traffic
> graphs.

> I thought I would share my efforts and ask for comments. If there is
> interest I will provide the Visual Basic source code.

> You can find a little doc and the program here :
> http://www.claridion.com/downloads/MRTGgui.htm

> Let me know what you think.

> Sal

> _____________________________________

By the way,
An nice editor is ConText with the MRTG.chl addon.

URL http://www.fixedsys.com/context/

I can't find the URL to the mrtg.chl so if you wan't it, ask...

This will give you an Editor with highlighting of the text.

/Mats

MRTG GUI

Post by Simon Floo » Tue, 13 May 2003 20:12:33

Quote:> I can't find the URL to the mrtg.chl so if you wan't it, ask...

It's available from the 'FreeWare Hotties!' page of the SNMP4tPC site
(http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/freeware.htm) - about halfway down the
page.

Link to file is http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/FILES/Tools/MISC/MRTG.chl

HTH

Simon

MRTG GUI

Post by Don Quixot » Thu, 15 May 2003 13:13:46

Hi there,
made some more mods to the look of the program, plus I have added the option
to create a cfg file compatible with RRDTOOL. The problem is I have yet to
use RRDTOOL and do not know if that part is correct.
Also interfaces can be sorted by clicking on the column header.
Again, you are welcomed to try it out and provide comments.
Here's the link : http://www.claridion.com/downloads/MRTGgui.htm

Sal

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>From: Anand, Vijay (WW)
>Subject: RE: MRTG Gui

>Thanks for a detailed reply. I confused one point in previous hurried
e-mails - regarding
>point 3., below (Routers.cgi) :
>The correct option checkbox should be "Use RRD", instead of "Use
Routers.cgi". The 2
>path items apply to RRD, not to Routers.cgi.
>RRD is much more important than routers.cgi, because future versions of
MRTG will
>REQUIRE RRD.
>I think it is very important to provide RRD support.
>Routers.cgi then becomes an easy add-on, and does not need to be
specifically
>configured in the generated config file (Although there are options you can

add).

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>From: Salvatore Cimmino
>To: Anand, Vijay (WW)
>Subject: RE: MRTG Gui
>Vijay, thanks for taking the time to look at the program, much appreciated.
>I am answering your points below....

(The LIST).

Quote:>Not high in priority, I'll see what I can do.
>>2. The button "Get/Refresh if.." - I know I suggested that name, but it
looks ugly.
>>Please change to something like
>>"Interface Info", with maybe a "onMouseOver" popup help explaining that it
gets or
>>refreshes Interface info via SNMP.
>Agreed, but the look of it will keep change somewhat for a little while

longer.

Quote:>>3. Routers.cgi Interface. This is probably the most important. .
>> (<http://www.cheshire.demon.co.uk/pub/> )
>>Most people serious about MRTG use this, because the design, and
flexibility are
>>much better than MRTG.
>>It also uses MUCH MUCH less overhead, generating graphs only when needed.
>>Adding support for this needs minimal work for your program.
>>All you need is 3 more fields in the "Settings" tab:
>>a) Checkbox , saying "Use Routers.cgi". If unchecked, other 2 fields are
disabled.
>>B) 2 text boxes with these defaults:
>>PathAdd: D:\apps\rrd-1.0.33\bin
>>LibAdd: D:\apps\rrd-1.0.33\perl-shared
>>C) If the checkbox is checked, you do NOT need to generate the "Pagetop"

section.

Quote:>I'll seriously look at this, hopefully soon. The thing is, I am not too

familiar with it, even though I read up on it.

Quote:>>4. The File -> Load menu should have it's text change to "Load...", since

it brings up another dialog.

Quote:>Again, the UI look is about to change again.
>>5. It is not clear what file you are loading. Saving the Interface list

produced a "dat" file whos'e purpose is unclear.

Quote:>The created "dat" file will contain the info needed to create CFG files.

Without the need to poll from the device again.

Quote:>>6. Changing the "Description" of a link produces no visible result in the

config file. It should go in "Title" or
Quote:>>the line saying :
>>SetEnv[10.2.52.15_2]: MRTG_INT_IP="" MRTG_INT_DESCR="Put description here"
>>The link description is used in the creation of the CFG file and in the

HTML index page. It will replace the keyword

Quote:>>%LINKDESCRIPTION% from the "mrtg.cfg" and included in the index.html page.
>>7. Common settings should be grouped , and put only once like this on top
of the file:
>>Options[_]: growright, bits
>>Directory[_]: E7B1S5-6G306-06
>Yes and No. I was thinking of implement the options so that can be changed

for each of the interfaces.

Quote:>>8. (From last suggestion) It would be nice to e able to filter out the

Interface counter list, for example, right-click a cell, it should give the
 >>option to filter based on "Include this value", or "Exclude this value",
along with options to clear the filter, replace, or add to it.
Quote:>>For example, you should be able to CLICK on the field name "ifSpeed", and

have the list sorted by that column.
Quote:>>Another example - select a particular interface, and right-click on the

speed value, eg: 100000 - this should offer a menu to Filter, and select
Quote:>>only items whose speed = 100000.
>> (Some devices have a large number of interfaces, so sort and filter will

help, but this is not an important feature for usability).

Quote:>I have just added the capability to sort by clicking on the column header.

As per the filtering aspect, I still do not see the need but I`ll keep it

Quote:>>in mind.
>>9. Make the interface LIST into a TAB (Call "Edit Interfaces"), instead of

a separate window. Current "Interfaces" tab can be renamed

Quote:>>"SNMP interfaces". Same with the CONFIG file - make it a tab.
>Working on it, but I am trying to figure out where to put the menus that

are in that window. What I am going to do is that when >>that tab is clicked
the menus at the top are replace by the ones relative to it

Quote:>>Hope this is not too demanding.
>>Thanks for your efforts & cheers.
>>-Vijay
>You see, I`d like to get to the point where it has become a viable utility,

then, as I said, I won`t mind to post the code under the >GPL.

Quote:>Thanks again