remote monitoring solution recommendation?

remote monitoring solution recommendation?

Post by Hern » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:57:04

Hello,

I'm working on a demo and need to implement a
quick-and-dirty but pretty looking remote monitoring
on Linux. I'm asking for help before I put on my
programmer hat and re-invent the (square) wheel.
I'm sure there has to be some tool out there that does
what we need.

We want to:

!) gather OS performance data (CPU, network,disk
usage) and performance data from an application (number
of transactions, pageviews, whatever)

2) collect it at a centralized location

3) and then display it with pretty bar codes, moving graphs,
etc., kinda like the Windows performance tool

We don't need for the framework to be too involved,
just flexible enough to be able to add some non-standard
data streams to it.

No need for a heavy-duty communication protocol
(read: SNMP) at this stage either.

We do need the tool to be:

   - ease to  program/ configure
   - open source/freeware if possible
   - Linux/Unix-based
   - did I mention it has to look pretty?

Thanks in advance!

Hernan

--

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of
my employer.

Post by Marc Spitze » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:33:10

> Hello,

> I'm working on a demo and need to implement a
> quick-and-dirty but pretty looking remote monitoring
> on Linux. I'm asking for help before I put on my
> programmer hat and re-invent the (square) wheel.
> I'm sure there has to be some tool out there that does
> what we need.

> We want to:

> !) gather OS performance data (CPU, network,disk
> usage) and performance data from an application (number
> of transactions, pageviews, whatever)

> 2) collect it at a centralized location

> 3) and then display it with pretty bar codes, moving graphs,
> etc., kinda like the Windows performance tool

> We don't need for the framework to be too involved,
> just flexible enough to be able to add some non-standard
> data streams to it.

> No need for a heavy-duty communication protocol
> (read: SNMP) at this stage either.

pity snmp would be good for most/all of what you want to collect,
I much prefer read only snmp access to a shell prompt.

Quote:

> We do need the tool to be:

>    - ease to  program/ configure
>    - open source/freeware if possible
>    - Linux/Unix-based
>    - did I mention it has to look pretty?

nagios might be close.

good luck

marc

Quote:

> Thanks in advance!

> Hernan

> --

> Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of
> my employer.

remote monitoring solution recommendation?

Post by Michael Kirkha » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:50:41

Quote:> I'm working on a demo and need to implement a
> quick-and-dirty but pretty looking remote monitoring
> on Linux. I'm asking for help before I put on my
> programmer hat and re-invent the (square) wheel.
> I'm sure there has to be some tool out there that does
> what we need.

MOODSS?  http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss/index.html

A modular general-purpose monitoring environment that pulls in data from
various modules (both existing ones that tie into various
applications/servers, and those which you can add/create for monitoring
other things) and can store gathered data into a database, show graphs,
etc.

--
Michael Kirkham
Muonics

Post by Hern » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:00:44

> I'm working on a demo and need to implement a
> quick-and-dirty but pretty looking remote monitoring
> on Linux. I'm asking for help before I put on my
> programmer hat and re-invent the (square) wheel.
> I'm sure there has to be some tool out there that does
> what we need.

Thanks everybody for your answers. I'll take a look
into MOODSS and Nagios.

All the best,

Hernan

--

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of
my employer.

remote monitoring solution recommendation?

Post by daveh.. » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:14:59

Quote:> Hello,
> I'm working on a demo and need to implement a
> quick-and-dirty but pretty looking remote monitoring
> on Linux. I'm asking for help before I put on my
> programmer hat and re-invent the (square) wheel.
> I'm sure there has to be some tool out there that does
> what we need.
> We want to:

(snip good features list)

Check out BigBrother, at http://bb4.com -  has most if not all of
what you want, it's free (as in free beer) for most uses, has a
very active community, and can be set up in an afternoon as long
as you have a compiler and can do some minor apache stuff (cgi-bin,
that sort of thing).

There's a live demo page at bb4.com you can get a feel for this, by the
way.

Quote:> !) gather OS performance data (CPU, network,disk
> usage) and performance data from an application (number
> of transactions, pageviews, whatever)

Yup.

Quote:> 2) collect it at a centralized location
> 3) and then display it with pretty bar codes, moving graphs,
> etc., kinda like the Windows performance tool

I don't know about _moving_ graphs, but yeah, pretty colors and stuff.

Quote:> We don't need for the framework to be too involved,
> just flexible enough to be able to add some non-standard
> data streams to it.

See the already contrib'd addons at http://www.deadcat.net which
gives you an idea what's done already.

Quote:> No need for a heavy-duty communication protocol
> (read: SNMP) at this stage either.

It can, but I'm not using it so I can't comment.

Quote:> We do need the tool to be:
>    - ease to  program/ configure

Well, there's learning curve to anything, but at this point I can do
an install in an afternoon.  It doesn't need you to learn, say,
mysql, php, and LDAP just to install it, or anything.

Quote:>    - open source/freeware if possible

Free beer close enough?  You get the source, but you don't own it.

Quote:>    - Linux/Unix-based
>    - did I mention it has to look pretty?

Take a look at the demo, very logical & usable.  Click the dots to drill
down to the details.

Quote:> Thanks in advance!

No prob - hope this helps.  Nagios might be another one to look at, by
the way.

Dave Hinz

remote monitoring solution recommendation?

Post by Alexei Vladish » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:10:25

Hello,

Zabbix (http://zabbix.sf.net) fully meets your requirements.

Regards,
Alexei

1. Remote monitoring solution

Hi:
        I would like to know the adv/disadv of the following two
approaches for monitoring and managing networks:

a) A integrated RMON product which comes with routers. Examples
would be vendors such as BayNetworks, Cisco etc.,.

b) A product such as Network General's DSS or Frontier's
Netscout.

Our company is trying to decide between a) and b) above to
monitor and manage our customer sites from a central site.

Ram Krishnaswamy

2. xbox not playing certain games

3. AntiVirus solution for GroupWise Gateway - Recommendations Needed.

4. MathXML

5. Need voice mail solution recommendations

6. Examples of C Soruce Code for ADSP21xx Family?

7. 506e monitoring software recommendation.

8. Software State Machine Design

9. Network monitor program recommendations

10. Recommendations Wanted on Network Monitoring Software

11. Suggestions for SNMP solution to monitor our 3com Superstack hubs ad switches

12. Recommendation for Software to Monitor upload/download speed

13. Looking for Server Monitor/Rebooter/Controller solution