Detecting changes to a network

Post by Finding N » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:28:46

All,

I'm trying to figure out how to get a network management system/tool
to detect changes on a network.

Let's say that I have HP OpenView NNM installed as my NMS.  And after
NNM goes out and completes its discovery and I finish tweaking the
display of the discovered devices, what I'm left with should be my
baseline (or static) network configuration.

Now, what I want to be able to do is, within a reasonable amount of
time, I want the NMS to tell me if any new devices are
connected/plugged in to the network.

Is this an achievable task?  How would I get HP OpenView to do this?

Would an IDS a better tool to do this?  Or should I be investigating
change management tools similar to AlterPoint's DeviceAuthority?

Thanks and best regards,

Finding an NMS

Detecting changes to a network

Post by Dave Keit » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:59:08

ARPwatch may be able to provide sufficient information, a search should find
it easily.

Dave

Quote:> All,

> I'm trying to figure out how to get a network management system/tool
> to detect changes on a network.

> Let's say that I have HP OpenView NNM installed as my NMS.  And after
> NNM goes out and completes its discovery and I finish tweaking the
> display of the discovered devices, what I'm left with should be my
> baseline (or static) network configuration.

> Now, what I want to be able to do is, within a reasonable amount of
> time, I want the NMS to tell me if any new devices are
> connected/plugged in to the network.

> Is this an achievable task?  How would I get HP OpenView to do this?

> Would an IDS a better tool to do this?  Or should I be investigating
> change management tools similar to AlterPoint's DeviceAuthority?

> Thanks and best regards,

> Finding an NMS

1. No modem detected since change from standalone to small net

Modem card worked well in Pentium standalone, but isn't detected under
Win95 anymore, the mouse sticks, comports go on strike, sometimes a 300bd
one is found etc.
Tried to install Faxservice annex Exchange. Sticky mice etc.
We have a small network (3 pc's) recently installed with W95 networking.
I know that modemsharing is out, but faxing should work, shouldn't it ?
Anyway, a modem should be detected on the local machine ?
This thing happens on any of the 3 pc's...
Please help !

Thanks, Barend

2. Moving mates in Feature tree??

3. Can you change order in which Windows95 detects modems?

4. Is it just me? MSNEx Features

5. Detecting a change a IP when DHCP activated

6. Windows Sockets Error: WSAENOBUFS in Orbix

7. Detecting link failure on FR/MPLS network

8. Roaming Profile

9. Detecting unauthorized network connections

10. Help: How to detect a Netbios on a network ?

11. NIC's not detecting network with new switches

12. Detecting TCP/IP address on a network