Cabletron - Spectrum Network Management

Post by jam.. » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for people who are formulary with the Spectrum Network
Manage Software.   I would like your opinion on Spectrum and how you
are using it in your company.  Have you looked at alternatives to
Spectrum like Optivity or Network General Sniffer.  Your feedback
would be greatly appreciated

James

Post by Carl W. Kalbfleisc » Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I am looking for people who are formulary with the Spectrum Network
> Manage Software.   I would like your opinion on Spectrum and how you
> are using it in your company.  Have you looked at alternatives to
> Spectrum like Optivity or Network General Sniffer.  Your feedback
> would be greatly appreciated

Spectrum is an Enterprise Network Management station that is capable of
supporting many users and many devices simultaneously.  Optivity is an
element manager for a specific set of applications that runs on top of
Sun Net Manager or HP Openview.  Network General Sniffer is a protocol
analyser.   Each of these products fits different needs within the realm
of network management.

The power of Spectrum is its ability to correlate alarms such that
meaningless or duplicate alarms are not reported.  For instance, if a
router goes down, then a single alarm is generated, rather than an alarm
for each downstream device that is no longer reachable.

Devices can be modeled in Spectrums database.  These models can include
device specific applications or screen to view the devices MIB.  In
addition, tools are available to build new screens and models for new,
custom or un-supported devices.

Spectrum also supports multi-users.

Hope this helps.

Carl

 Carl W. Kalbfleisch           |                 Computers For Christ
 Senior Software Engineer    --+--              http://www.cforc.com/
 OnRAMP Technologies           |
 http://www.onramp.net         |     http://rampages.onramp.net/~cwk/

1. Cabletron Spectrum network management

Greetings.

I am working in a situation where we have a large amount of Cabletron
equiptment in the network.

We also have various other sundry devices which are able to be
managed/monitored by SNMP.

Management has selected Cabletron Spectrum as our
management/monitoring/mapping tool for the network.

Unfortunately, they also selected Windows NT as the server platform for
Spectrum as opposed to the Unix {Solaris, I think} version.

I'm looking for studies comparing the two - the NT version and the Unix
version - studies, white papers, actual physical experience between the
two.

basically, I want to piss off the NT garbage and replace it with the Unix
version - BUT management won't even listen to me without hardline proof.

If anyone could point me to URL's for locating same, I'd be most
appreciative.

Thanks.

DaZZa

2. CTRL-J problem

3. Cabletron's Spectrum Lan Management

4. Slow MSL printf (CW Pro 2)

5. In DSL terminology, what is the diff between single spectrum, double spectrum and quad spectrum?

6. What does a PPC Amiga mean for us?

7. Cabletron concentrators and Network Management

8. Cabletron SPECTRUM & IsiCAD COMMAND 5000

9. Cabletron Spectrum & California State Universities

10. Seeking Cabletron Spectrum for Solaris

11. Seeking Cabletron Spectrum for SPARC