MRTG and Nortel 450 stacked switches, Accelars

MRTG and Nortel 450 stacked switches, Accelars

Post by psenick » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:43:03

We have an assortment of Baystack/Nortel switches in our environment, and
are beginning to use MRTG to gather and graph network traffic stats.  A
number of questions have come up in our efforts to-date...

1)  For a stack of 450 switches, does each switch need to be explicitly
defined to MRTG configmaker?  When we tried to run it specifying only the IP
address of the stack, it failed to capture any data. S/W 4.01x on the 450
switches, using MRTG 2.9.10.

2)  Baystack 340-24T switches are detected fine, and we are getting graphs
for all ports... even the inactive ones.  This is exactly what we want.
However, the Accelars don't seem to behave in the same manner.  We are only
getting graphs for the active ports.  ???  The Accelars are running 2.1.1
software.

3)  One of our Accelars has 1000SX ports... the MRTG docs state that devices
must use SNMPv2 to avoid wrapping data counters on high activity ports.
This does not appear to be an issue for us yet, as our traffic has not even
approached 100Mbps yet... but does anyone know if this is an issue with the
Passport/Accelar switches?

Any assistance appreciated!

Regards,

Henry

Post by Mark » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:56:21

> We have an assortment of Baystack/Nortel switches in our environment, and
> are beginning to use MRTG to gather and graph network traffic stats.  A
> number of questions have come up in our efforts to-date...

> 1)  For a stack of 450 switches, does each switch need to be explicitly
> defined to MRTG configmaker?  When we tried to run it specifying only the IP
> address of the stack, it failed to capture any data. S/W 4.01x on the 450
> switches, using MRTG 2.9.10.

I graph ports on stacks with 3.1, and 4.1 and haven't had any problems.
The baystacks (from memory) usually report the port numbers
consequtivly.
ie not switch 1/1 or 2/1 but port 1 and 25 (depending on what modules
are in switch 1)

Quote:> 2)  Baystack 340-24T switches are detected fine, and we are getting graphs
> for all ports... even the inactive ones.  This is exactly what we want.
> However, the Accelars don't seem to behave in the same manner.  We are only
> getting graphs for the active ports.  ???  The Accelars are running 2.1.1
> software.

Try telling cfgmaker to report/log all ports, no just inactive ones.
Forget what the switch is "no-down" ?

Quote:> 3)  One of our Accelars has 1000SX ports... the MRTG docs state that devices
> must use SNMPv2 to avoid wrapping data counters on high activity ports.
> This does not appear to be an issue for us yet, as our traffic has not even
> approached 100Mbps yet... but does anyone know if this is an issue with the
> Passport/Accelar switches?

> Any assistance appreciated!

> Regards,

> Henry

Mark

1. MRTG - Nortel BS-450 switches

I have MRTG setup to monitor my Nortel 450 switches, but my time is off and I was wondering if there is a universal way to set the GMT without having to add it to very single port on every switch. Also, is there an easy way to name my ports?

2. ls command on Mac

3. MRTG and Nortel Baystack 450

4. Nisus: current features?

5. Stacking BS 460s with BPS 2000 / BS 450

6. toshiba portege 650 CT hdd upgrade ???

7. Stacking BPS2000, 450's and 470-48T

8. Ham 95 startup bitmap now shipping as RLE file.

9. Can you add a unit to a 450 stack hot?

10. fail baystack 450 stack

11. Upgrading 450-12T 10/100 to 450-24T 10/100/1000 with Fibre Link

12. Accelar-1200 switch and MRTG

13. Nortel 450 - password reset