ppp0 "has a speed of 0 which makes no sense"

ppp0 "has a speed of 0 which makes no sense"

Post by david lemo » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 04:51:45

Hi

I've just aquired adsl at my home.  I'm setting up mrtg on a unix box that
is behind my nat box.  It will be getting the stats from the nat box's
external interface "ppp0" via snmp.  When I ran cfgmaker, it found all the
interfaces on the nat box and also on the unix box where mrtg is running.

The problem I am having is, in the mrtg.cfg file, it comments out the 'ppp0'
interface.  And gives me the following error.

### Interface 8 >> Descr: 'ppp0' | Name: '' | Ip: 'my.external.ip.here'|
Eth: '' ###
### The following interface is commented out because:
### * has a speed of 0 which makes no sense

The weird thing is, if i leave only 'ppp0'(Primary on the nat box) and
'fxp0' (Primary interface on the mrtg box behind the nat) uncommented,
IndexMaker will only use the fxp0 interface when creating it's index of all
the interfaces.

If I do however, uncomment 'eth0', it will show two sets of graphs. One
being, both eth0 and ppp0, and the other 'fxp0'.   The stats for the ppp0
interface look like this...

Traffic Analysis for 3 -- mydomain.com
      System: citron.mydomain.ca in Unknown

      ifType: ethernetCsmacd (6)
      ifName:
      Max Speed: 10.0 Mbits/s
Target[citron.insidethe.mydomain.ca_8]:

SetEnv[citron.insidethe.mydomain.ca_8]: MRTG_INT_IP="x.x.x.x"
MRTG_INT_DESCR="ppp0" MaxBytes[citron.insidethe.mydomain.ca_8]: 0
Title[citron.insidethe.mydomain.ca_8]: Traffic Analysis for 8 --
citron.mydomain.ca PageTop[citron.insidethe.mydomain.ca_8]:
Traffic Analysis for 8 -- citron.mydomain.ca
      System: citron.mydomain.ca in Unknown

      ifType: ppp (23)
      ifName:
      Max Speed: 3Mbits/s
      Ip: x.x.x.x(isp hotname here)

Then the graphs follow for the ppp0 interface.

I dont want the eth0 stats on the same page as the ppp0!