newbie MRTG question : how to add mib to MRTG ?

newbie MRTG question : how to add mib to MRTG ?

Post by alex.. » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:08:22

Hi,

I'm a MRTG newbie and am trying to get it work with Xylan Omniswitch,
the problem is, I can't find the MIB files from popular MIB libraries...

At last, I got the xylan mib, but the simple question is, how do I add
the mib into MRTG ? I'm using MRTG on WinNT & Win98

Any help appreciated !!

alex

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:27:08

>I'm a MRTG newbie and am trying to get it work with Xylan Omniswitch,
>the problem is, I can't find the MIB files from popular MIB libraries...

>At last, I got the xylan mib, but the simple question is, how do I add
>the mib into MRTG ? I'm using MRTG on WinNT & Win98

From:
  http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html

LoadMIBs
Load the MIB file(s) specified and make its OIDs available as symbolic
names. For better efficiancy, a cache of MIBs is maintained in the
WorkDir.

Example:
 LoadMIBs: /dept/net/mibs/netapp.mib,/usr/local/lib/ft100m.mib

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(831)421-6491 pgr (831)426-1240 fax (831)336-2558 home

newbie MRTG question : how to add mib to MRTG ?

Post by alex.. » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:51:56

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for the info, I'd already tried, but unfortunely got no luck,
may be I'm not configuring properly ?

I'd added the following sentences in the mrtg.cfg :
WorkDir: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core
LoadMIBs: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core\rfc1213.mib

But I still could not find Xylan Omniswitch specific parameters
appearing in MRTG graphs. Actually I'm trying to log Xylan CPU
trends "systat".

Any help appreciated !

Thanks,
Alex

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:48:43

>Thanks for the info, I'd already tried, but unfortunely got no luck,
>may be I'm not configuring properly ?

Wrong MIB file.

Quote:>I'd added the following sentences in the mrtg.cfg :
>WorkDir: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core
>LoadMIBs: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core\rfc1213.mib

RFC1213 is the MIB-2 management mib (or something like that) and has
nothing of use for the Xylan specifid CPU and system status.

Quote:>But I still could not find Xylan Omniswitch specific parameters
>appearing in MRTG graphs. Actually I'm trying to log Xylan CPU
>trends "systat".

You'll need to find the Xylan Ominiswitch mib to get the CPU (processor)
load.  However, system status should be available in the standard mibs
somewhere.

May I humbly suggest that you start with a mib browser.  Troubleshooting
SNMP problems and searching for OID's with MRTG is difficult.  I suggest
GetIF 2.2 for Windoze:
   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/8260/index.html
Copy additional MIB files (don't overscribble the existing ones) into the
directory:
   c:\Program Files\Getif 2.2\mibs\
and erase the .index file if it exists.  Getif will recreate this file
when run.  Point the mib browser at your Xylan Ominiswitch and look for
something useful to graph.

I can usually find the necessary manufacturer specific mibs at:
   http://www.inotech.com/mibs/vendor.html
   http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/MIBS.htm
but can't find anything called Xylan.  That's because Xylan was purchase
by Alcatel in Mar 1999 and is now part of the eND (Enterprise Network
Division).  The Alcatel eND web pile appears to be infested with gaudy
graphics but no tech info.  I'm on a very slow 1Kbit/sec RF link (don't
ask) and really don't wanna go searching for MIB's on a site that takes 2
minutes per page to load.

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(831)421-6491 pgr (831)426-1240 fax (831)336-2558 home
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com   WB6SSY

newbie MRTG question : how to add mib to MRTG ?

Post by alex.. » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:00:22

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info, actually I'd already found 58 mib files for Xylan
Omniswitch from ftp://archives.xylan.com/pub/products/mibs, found the
link from http://www.snmplink.org/, however, I could not import the
mibs to MRTG successfully.

I'd tried adding xylan.mib, xylan-atm.mib and xylan-csm.mib... into the
MRTF.CFG file as follows :
WorkDir: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core
LoadMIBs: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core\rfc1213.mib
But unfortunately after restarting the MRTG, there were no new OIDs
appearing.

I think there are some settings I'd missed ? Or some syntax error ?
Currently I had just copied all the downloaded mibs, copy them to the
WorkDir, and add the sentence "LoadMIBs: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-
core\xylan.mib..." into the mrtg.cfg file and restart MRTG. Am I still
missing something ?

Any ideas appreciated !

Many Thanks,
Alex

Post by alex.. » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:03:30

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info, actually I'd already found 58 mib files for Xylan
Omniswitch from ftp://archives.xylan.com/pub/products/mibs, found the
link from http://www.snmplink.org/, however, I could not import the
mibs to MRTG successfully.

I'd tried adding different mib files : xylan.mib, xylan-atm.mib and

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:52:05

>Thanks for the info, actually I'd already found 58 mib files for Xylan
>Omniswitch from ftp://archives.xylan.com/pub/products/mibs, found the
>link from http://www.snmplink.org/, however, I could not import the
>mibs to MRTG successfully.

Realize that "importing" or whatever the MIB files into MRTG only gives
you the option of using the human readable symbolic names, instead of the
numeric OID's.  The output is the same.  I'm not sure what you expect to
happen, but it's not very impressive.  I prefer the numeric OID's.

Quote:>I'd tried adding xylan.mib, xylan-atm.mib and xylan-csm.mib... into the
>MRTF.CFG file as follows :
>WorkDir: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core
>LoadMIBs: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core\rfc1213.mib

You need to specify all of them as in:
LoadMIBs: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core\rfc1213.mib,\
  c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core\xylan.mib,\
  c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core\xylan-atm.mib,\
  c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xy-core\xylan-csm.mib

Quote:>But unfortunately after restarting the MRTG, there were no new OIDs
>appearing.

Ummm, where are these OID's suppose to appear?  If you were using a MIB
browser, I could understand the problem, but MRTG just requires a
specified target and returns a value.  It doesn't return an OID.

--
Jeff Liebermann  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA 95060
(831)421-6491 pgr (831)426-1240 fax (831)336-2558 home
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com   WB6SSY

1. Newbie Question - Adding devices to mrtg.cfg

I need to monitor a few wireless subscriber units, and my boss wants to add them to the config file I'm already running vs. creating a new config file for these 4 devices.  What steps do I need to take to stop/start mrtg before editing the config file?

This is probably more of a Linux question than mrtg, so please be specific.  I have a total of 3 weeks experience using linux and I'm having to learn fast.  And the hard part is I can only access the machine via ssh.

2. Spent the nite on this: What is wrong with the partitions touched by the 320???????

3. MRTG Newbie needs help with MRTG on Solaris 8 SPARC Edition

4. Computer Resource

5. Adding a Cisco PIX Firewall MIB to MRTG

6. RGP faq?

7. MRTG Mib question

8. help: gud-debug with emacs

9. MRTG - Questions from a Newbie