Can I monitor physical memory under Win2K?

Can I monitor physical memory under Win2K?

Post by Malcolm Ferguso » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:23:08

Hi,

I've been setting up some SNMP + MRTG monitors with a fair bit of help
from SnmpBoy's example mrtg.cfg (http://snmpboy.msft.net/).  He's
monitoring both virtual and physical memory under Windows 2003 Server.
I've only found virtual memory under Windows 2000 Server.  It seems to
be the last index for each entry under:
<.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry>

Is it possible retrieve the physical memory utilisation under Win2K
without resorting to messing around with Performance Monitor or
SNMP4tPC?

Cheers,
Malc

Can I monitor physical memory under Win2K?

Post by Martin Hell » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:56:00

Quote:> Is it possible retrieve the physical memory utilisation under Win2K
> without resorting to messing around with Performance Monitor or
> SNMP4tPC?

Try this link:
http://www.eriador.dhs.org/MRTG/Scripts.asp
There you'll find a script that uses WMI information about physical and
virtual memory.

How to use it with MRTG can you see in this config file:
http://www.eriador.dhs.org/MRTG/ShowConfig.asp?filename=Gandalf.cfg

If you use these scripts, dont forget to set the scriptinghost to CSCript by
typing at a command prompt:
CSCript //H:CSCript

Martin.

Post by Malcolm Ferguso » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:45:29

> > Is it possible retrieve the physical memory utilisation under Win2K
> > without resorting to messing around with Performance Monitor or
> > SNMP4tPC?

> Try this link:
> http://www.eriador.dhs.org/MRTG/Scripts.asp
> There you'll find a script that uses WMI information about physical and
> virtual memory.

> How to use it with MRTG can you see in this config file:
> http://www.eriador.dhs.org/MRTG/ShowConfig.asp?filename=Gandalf.cfg

> If you use these scripts, dont forget to set the scriptinghost to CSCript by
> typing at a command prompt:
> CSCript //H:CSCript

Thanks for the links, they're very useful.  I haven't looked at the WMI
library before, but it seems quite interesting.  I don't think you
actually need to set the scriptinghost - I believe you can call CScript
directly, passing the script in question as a parameter.

All that aside, this forces me to do the monitoring from Windows box.  I
was hoping to make use of an old Pentium + Debian GNU/Linux.  Is there a
way to get at this information using a more cross-platform technique?

Anyway, back to figuring out why my Radware loadbalancer is reporting
zero bits/sec on its interfaces when MRTG queries it...
Malc

Post by Mats Karlsso » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 06:54:04

> > > Is it possible retrieve the physical memory utilisation under Win2K
> > > without resorting to messing around with Performance Monitor or
> > > SNMP4tPC?

Hi Malcom

I don't understand!

The OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.6.5 is for virtual memory
The OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.6.6 is for physical memory

In windows 2000

According to http://snmpboy.msft.net/pub/mrtg.cfg.txt

And should I understand you right that you can't  find phy mem but only vir
mem ?

/Mats

Post by Malcolm Fergus » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:33:43

> Hi Malcom

> I don't understand!

> The OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.6.5 is for virtual memory
> The OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.6.6 is for physical memory

> In windows 2000

> According to http://snmpboy.msft.net/pub/mrtg.cfg.txt

From what I've seen it varies from machine to machine (well,
installation to installation) and depends on how many partitions,
floppy drives, CDROMs, etc, are present.  Virtual memory seems to be
the last one listed.  Therefore its index changes and isn't guaranteed
to have the .5 index under:
<.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed>
or OID: .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.6

Thus on my desktop, virtual memory is: .1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.6.15, or
<.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.host.hrStorage.hrStorageTable.hrStorageEntry.hrStorageUsed.15>

My guess is the the physical memory under Win2K3 was added as an
additional index after the virtual memory index.

Does that make sense?

Quote:> And should I understand you right that you can't  find phy mem but only vir
> mem ?

Correct.  It might be stored somewhere completely different, but I
have found it yet.

Cheers,
Malc

1. MRTG Win2k Monitoring RAM Memory

I am running MRTG on a UNIX server and have successfuly found the OID
to monitor CPU, but I nned to monitor RAM / Memory.  What is the OID I
need to look for.  Has anyone done this successfully.  I found the OID
need for Windows 2003, but doesn't seem to be accurate. If someone has
an example .cfg file of it that would be even better.

Thank You

Remove <space>s

2. APPLE II E-MAIL SW CATALOGS UPDATED.

3. SNMP variables (OIDs) for physical memory size and shared memory size

4. && MODEMS, MODEMS, MODEMS HIGH SPEED LOW COST V.34 **&&&

5. Memory, Memory oh where are you Memory???

6. trust relationship between forests

7. win2k memory OID

8. Problem with MINT .99?

9. Win2k network status monitor