Remote monitoring solution

Remote monitoring solution

Post by Ramprakash Krishnaswam » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00



Hi:
        I would like to know the adv/disadv of the following two
approaches for monitoring and managing networks:

a) A integrated RMON product which comes with routers. Examples
would be vendors such as BayNetworks, Cisco etc.,.

b) A product such as Network General's DSS or Frontier's
Netscout.

Our company is trying to decide between a) and b) above to
monitor and manage our customer sites from a central site.

Ram Krishnaswamy

 
 
 

Remote monitoring solution

Post by Jon Rous » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00



>    I would like to know the adv/disadv of the following two
>approaches for monitoring and managing networks:

>a) A integrated RMON product which comes with routers. Examples
>would be vendors such as BayNetworks, Cisco etc.,.

>b) A product such as Network General's DSS or Frontier's
>Netscout.

>Our company is trying to decide between a) and b) above to
>monitor and manage our customer sites from a central site.

I believe that Bay Networks are incorporating the Sniffer SOftware in
their hubs, so you can interrogate them with either Optivity Enterprise
or with Network General's Foundation Manager, though I have yet to see
this demonstrated. However in anticipation of this, we are recommending
our Divisions to purchase hubs containing the Advanced Sniffer agent,
though we are still evaluating RMON probes.

--

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1992/index.html

 
 
 

Remote monitoring solution

Post by Marc Abra » Fri, 05 Apr 1996 04:00:00


Bay just bought Armon, an RMON vendor to incorporate their technology into
their products. Network General doesn't have, and never will be incorporated
into Bay's products.

As the recent purchase of Armon by Bay and Axon by 3Com shows, all the big
players believe RMON is the way to go to manage enterprise networks containing
routers, switches and hubs.

Frontier is the leading RMON vendor, and the only one still on its own. This
gives it a distinct advantage from a multivendor internetworking point of
view. Do you think Bay is going to work with Cabletron or Cisco to make its
products interoperate at the same level as Frontier can with all of them? I
don't think so...

Finally, Frontier is the only company that not only has a strategy for
managing switched networks, but has products that you can buy to implement it
now. We have ethernet, token ring, fast ethernet, FDDI, T-1 and Frame Relay
probes shipping now and T-3 and HSSI and ATM shipping in the next few months.
Most importantly, we have the management applications to integrate all major
vendors' products.

Check out our web site at:

        http://www.frontier.com

marc.



>>       I would like to know the adv/disadv of the following two
>>approaches for monitoring and managing networks:

>>a) A integrated RMON product which comes with routers. Examples
>>would be vendors such as BayNetworks, Cisco etc.,.

>>b) A product such as Network General's DSS or Frontier's
>>Netscout.

>>Our company is trying to decide between a) and b) above to
>>monitor and manage our customer sites from a central site.

>I believe that Bay Networks are incorporating the Sniffer SOftware in
>their hubs, so you can interrogate them with either Optivity Enterprise
>or with Network General's Foundation Manager, though I have yet to see
>this demonstrated. However in anticipation of this, we are recommending
>our Divisions to purchase hubs containing the Advanced Sniffer agent,
>though we are still evaluating RMON probes.

>--

>http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1992/index.html

 
 
 

Remote monitoring solution

Post by Greg Schaffe » Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:00:00



> Frontier is the leading RMON vendor, and the only one still on its own. This

How deep does Frontier go in its RMON applications?  All branches?  Just the
stats (1.3.6.1.2.1.16.1)?  RMON2 plans??

Greg

 
 
 

Remote monitoring solution

Post by Matt Burdi » Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:00:00


: Frontier is the leading RMON vendor, and the only one still on its own.

Actually, according to a recent IDC report, HP is by far the leader in
RMON:

1995 Standalone RMON Probe Market Sales

Vendor          Share(%)
_________________________
HP              47.3
Frontier        16.7
Novell          10.1
Axon             9.2
Network General  4.8
Armon            4.7
W&G          2.1
Other            5.1

See IDC report #10854 by Brian Burba for details.

--
Matt Burdick                  |   Hewlett-Packard

 
 
 

1. remote monitoring solution recommendation?

Hello,

I'm working on a demo and need to implement a
quick-and-dirty but pretty looking remote monitoring
on Linux. I'm asking for help before I put on my
programmer hat and re-invent the (square) wheel.
I'm sure there has to be some tool out there that does
what we need.

We want to:

!) gather OS performance data (CPU, network,disk
usage) and performance data from an application (number
of transactions, pageviews, whatever)

2) collect it at a centralized location

3) and then display it with pretty bar codes, moving graphs,
etc., kinda like the Windows performance tool

We don't need for the framework to be too involved,
just flexible enough to be able to add some non-standard
data streams to it.

No need for a heavy-duty communication protocol
(read: SNMP) at this stage either.

We do need the tool to be:

   - ease to  program/ configure
   - open source/freeware if possible
   - Linux/Unix-based
   - did I mention it has to look pretty?

Thanks in advance!

Hernan

--

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of
my employer.

2. Where can I get the latest version of GEMULATOR ?

3. Suggestions for SNMP solution to monitor our 3com Superstack hubs ad switches

4. Postscript File Print

5. Looking for Server Monitor/Rebooter/Controller solution

6. pocket pc 2K2 and flash.ocx

7. Cheap NT server Monitoring Solution?

8. RZ29 disks no good for ORACLE?

9. eGurkha Enterprise: An eBusiness Monitoring Solution

10. ANNOUNCE: eGurkha ASPlite - End-to-End Performance Monitoring Solution

11. Remote Access Clients VPN Solution?

12. Remote Access Solution

13. Remote Offices and VPN Solutions Using Cisco Products