Postgresql backups

Post by Guy Corba » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:43:23

Hello,

My database is getting bigger and bigger and I would like to use an
automatic backup procedure. I'm presently using ARKEIA as a backup tool, and
there is a possibility to launch a script before and after the backup.

Is there any posibility to make backups of the database while up and running
and when users are logged on ?

Best regards, Guy

Postgresql backups

Post by Nabil Saye » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:40:31

> My database is getting bigger and bigger and I would like to use an
> automatic backup procedure. I'm presently using ARKEIA as a backup tool, and
> there is a possibility to launch a script before and after the backup.

> Is there any posibility to make backups of the database while up and running
> and when users are logged on ?

AFAIK ARKEIA has built-in support for postgresql (and most other rdbms).
(Or is this what you mean with script before and after ?)

What about pg_dump ?

--
 Nabil Sayegh

Postgresql backups

Post by Andrew McMill » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:20:26

> Hello,

> My database is getting bigger and bigger and I would like to use an
> automatic backup procedure. I'm presently using ARKEIA as a backup tool, and
> there is a possibility to launch a script before and after the backup.

> Is there any posibility to make backups of the database while up and running
> and when users are logged on ?

Yes, pg_dump is the utility you want.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64 (21) 635 694, Fax: +64 (4) 499 5596, Office: +64 (4) 499 2267