Problem with my query whithout double-quotes

Problem with my query whithout double-quotes

Post by ROUWEZ Stepha » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:19:36

Hi,
My pgsql runs on WinNT Server 4. When I try to
SELECT nom, prenom FROM individu WHERE numero=2
I have : ERROR: Relation "individu" does not exist
It only works if I write :
SELECT "Individu"."Nom","Individu"."Prenom" FROM "Individu" WHERE
"Individu"."NumIndiv"=2
Can someone help me ?
Thanks
Stephane

Post by Stephan Sza » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:24:15

> Hi,
> My pgsql runs on WinNT Server 4. When I try to
> SELECT nom, prenom FROM individu WHERE numero=2
> I have : ERROR: Relation "individu" does not exist
> It only works if I write :
> SELECT "Individu"."Nom","Individu"."Prenom" FROM "Individu" WHERE
> "Individu"."NumIndiv"=2
> Can someone help me ?

It looks like you created the table with double quotes around the
names at which point you should always use double quotes to refer
to it (yes, if the name was "foo" you *can* refer to it as foo, but
you really shouldn't).

Post by Keith Gr » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:40:51

>>Hi,
>>My pgsql runs on WinNT Server 4. When I try to
>>SELECT nom, prenom FROM individu WHERE numero=2
>>I have : ERROR: Relation "individu" does not exist
>>It only works if I write :
>>SELECT "Individu"."Nom","Individu"."Prenom" FROM "Individu" WHERE
>>"Individu"."NumIndiv"=2
>>Can someone help me ?

> It looks like you created the table with double quotes around the
> names at which point you should always use double quotes to refer
> to it (yes, if the name was "foo" you *can* refer to it as foo, but
> you really shouldn't).

Your table names are case sensitive.
PostgreSQL will make them all lowercase by default,
unless you quote them.

--
Keith Gray

Technical Services Manager
Heart Consulting Services P/L

http://archives.postgresql.org

1. Translate double quote to single quote in a macro variable ?

Happy Friday!

I have a macro variable (actually it is auto macro var 'sysprocessname'),
which has value like this (when runs in batch mode):

Program "L:\xxx\yyy\zzz.sas";

Since it already has double quote in its value, it can't be
used to assign a data step var simply use double quote like a="&b",
neither can it be used in footnote, title etc., therefore, I need to
translate the double quote to single quote. I have one way to do it now,
but it need a data step as below. I wonder if there is a more
elegant solution, hopefully a one liner.

Thanks

Ya Huang

---------------

28   %let a=Program "L:\xxx\yyy\zzz.sas";
29
30   data _null_;
31   b=translate(symget('a'),"'",'"');
32   call symput('a',b);
33   run;

NOTE: DATA statement used:

34
35   %put &a;
Program 'L:\xxx\yyy\zzz.sas'

2. Offsetting Page Numbers

3. how to quote the double quote

4. PocketPC application for a webbased form, how to store data?

5. Single Quotes, Double Quotes

6. FYI: OS/2 ISP (Internet Service Provider) Mailing List

7. double quote problem

8. Defect Support denies CMD.EXE bug

9. QUOTING $quote quote() and named output (WAS Re: month="08" instead of month=08)

10. MS Excel 95: Double quotes appearing when saving as text

11. Why won't my macro variable resolve in double quotes

12. how does word scanner tokenize single vs double quotes?