Are selects defined in view faster than run-time selects?

Are selects defined in view faster than run-time selects?

Post by Dragan Mati » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 18:21:11

    Are selects that are defined as views faster than normal selects? I
am asking this because I have a big select where I retrieve data from
multiple tables. Is such a select going to work faster if it is defined
as a wiew. I found nowhere in literature that views are speeding up
selects but I recently heard such an opinion.

Are selects defined in view faster than run-time selects?

Post by Marc Bl » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 22:00:38

If you see a view as a stored SELECT-statement with a name, without
any physical representation...then there's no reason for a view to be
faster.

The only difference is, that part of the parsing work (syntax and
semantic check) already happened. But that's no big performance gain.

Quote:>    Are selects that are defined as views faster than normal selects? I
>am asking this because I have a big select where I retrieve data from
>multiple tables. Is such a select going to work faster if it is defined
>as a wiew. I found nowhere in literature that views are speeding up
>selects but I recently heard such an opinion.

regards
Marc Blum

http://www.marcblum.de