Copying a PostgreSQL Database from local machine to Web Site Host

Copying a PostgreSQL Database from local machine to Web Site Host

Post by Mike Crawfo » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:33:36

Hello:

  I have created a postgreSQL database on my PC that I want to upload
to a website.  My hosting company has created an empty postgreSQL
database for me.  What is the best way to copy my local database into
the on-line database?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Crawford

Copying a PostgreSQL Database from local machine to Web Site Host

Post by Phil Lati » Thu, 02 May 2002 10:36:29

Just done this myself. I stuck phpPgAdmin on my external (campus) website
and then run the sql from there.

To extract the sql (and data too) from the local server, I used PgExplorer
though this is currently just a Windows tool.

I initially created the website using Rekall which is very similar to
Microsoft Access but this only comes in Linux. It acts as a front end to
either MySQL or PgSQL.

Here's some links
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phppgadmin
http://www.pgexplorer.com/
http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/

HTH

Phil

Quote:> Hello:

>   I have created a postgreSQL database on my PC that I want to upload
> to a website.  My hosting company has created an empty postgreSQL
> database for me.  What is the best way to copy my local database into
> the on-line database?

> Thanks in advance,

> Mike Crawford

1. Effects of remote machine entries in local host files on RPC calls

Hi,

I am in the process of solving a lingering problem with telnet. It
takes for ever to establish a telnet connection from some machines to
other machines on my LAN (same network segment, no firewall ...),
however from other machines in the same network segment the telnet
session responds almost immediatly. From searching around I believe
that this can be solved by bypassing the DNS server and having entries
in the local host files of the different machines (UNIX and VMS). The
problem appears to be related to reverse lookups.

Arranging the use of local host files will take time on some of the
machines, but I beleive that the process can be sped up if I could
sell the change as a performance improvment. We only use the RPC
component of DCE, which maked similar calls to Microsofts COM/DCOM
technology. Our DCE servers are on the VMS server and we have a
central registry on a UNIX machine. The central registry is actually a
DCE server. The clients are running on NT servers. Calls are initiated
from the NT machine to the UNIX machine to find a server, once a
server is located, calls from the NT clients, go directly to the VMS
machines. Each time a call is made from the client the whole localion
process begins again. Although timings dont suggest that the RPC calls
take as long as the telnet connections, I am wondering if we can
reduce the call timings by adding entries to the local hosts files.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

2. Q: How do I pass 'odoc' AppleEvent thru LaunchApplication()

3. Porting existing postgresql databases to another machine

4. Is 11.0.9 good enough for ADSL?

5. Java client on local machine update database on server

6. FS:$200: A2000 + A2091 + 200 meg SCSI + 8Up!

7. Allowing only access to my web site from a link to another web site using Apache

8. HP 764n & Win2k?

9. Web Site mapping: getting past the Web site login page

10. web site programming and hosting help

11. REQ for JAI11/12105 5002:Web site Maintenance and Admiistration (locals are preffered for FTF interview)

12. Search databases from my Web site?

13. Web/Database integration - beta sites wanted